Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Barbie Video Girl Doll
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on September 27, 2010
This doll was purchased(by request)for my daughter who turned 7 this week. Without a flash it was like filming in the dark. It was fairly easy to use. The editing software was not as easy. If you have studio lighting in your home you may not have a problem. I personally feel that this issue will result in a price reduction in the near future. We have decided to get a child friendly camcorder with a "Flash" and just get another Barbie doll. Thank you.
on December 5, 2010
We purchased this for our daughter's 7th birthday. She loves it! The video quality is surprisingly good for something that fits inside a Barbie doll! The audio isn't bad either. You do need quite a bit of light for recording, but we were able to record things inside the house with light just from open blinds. The editing software is a little tricky to figure out, but I was able to "produce" a 2 minute video with intros, transitions, sounds, and credits in about 30 minutes. I don't have any prior experience with editing software, and I'm sure it will get much quicker now that I've figured out how to do it. I don't think my daughter will be able to edit any videos herself, but I would rather help her anyway. Overall, I think this is a great product, and I would definitely recommend others buy this if they are thinking about it.
on October 16, 2010
I'm not sure other reviewers appreciate how brilliant this is. It's a working video camera that shoots video akin to the quality you'd find from high end digital cameras a few years ago, all from a tiny camera embedded in a Barbie doll's chest!

The potential is fantastic, tapping into a new way for children to tell their stories and engage in imaginary play. Imagine getting a Barbie's Eye View of her dream house or her date with Ken. It adds another layer of possibilities to make these playworlds come alive for those participating in them.

Some reviewers are concerned, but I wonder if they're the same reviewers who would just as easily give their pre-teen or young teenage children phones with working video cameras. It's just as difficult to tell what they're doing with those phones and who they're sharing photos and videos with. That doesn't mean these devices should be banned. It means parents and caretakers need to teach their children what's appropriate. Little girls could set Barbie's hair on fire too, but most parents would say they've instilled enough of a sense of right and wrong in their kids to make sure that doesn't happen.

As for educational value, it's tremendous. Children - boys and girls alike - need to have a working familiarity with technology today. Transferring videos with the hot pink (hot pink!) USB cable is fairly easy, but also takes a bit of technological prowess. It takes a little more learning to figure out how to upload such videos to YouTube, Facebook, or anywhere else. You can do this with Barbie's software, or with other programs like Picasa (that works great for me). There are some drawbacks, such as sound quality that is subpar to the video quality and battery casing that requires a screwdriver, but still, this is a $45 toy and video camera hybrid, so it's impressive for what it is.

All in all, I'm impressed with the new direction toys are heading in. I'm sure it's scary for those whose most sophisticated toy growing up was a Slinky. In her own way though, Barbie Video Girl will inspire young girls and empower them to embrace technology, learn from it, and expand their storytelling horizons.
44 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2013
So...the AAA battery compartments are located on the inner thighs of this Barbie. You will need a teeny screwdriver and lots of batteries. I recommend getting rechargeable AAAs...will save you in the long run. My girl runs through at least one set a day if she uses it more than an hour at a time. Plugging into the computer will NOT recharge it, as this doll does not have an internal battery like the Photo Fashion Barbie.

That being said, my girl has had this doll now for around three months, and still plays with it on a DAILY basis...the full screen video playbacks on the computer are fair quality, but perfectly acceptable for kid play.
VINE VOICEon January 3, 2011
Our daughter BEGGED for Barbie Video Girl for Christmas, and fortunately for her Santa decided to be a lot nicer than Mom and Dad (Santa also got a huge deal on it when it was purchased).

When she first started to play with it she was pretty upset. The video playback on the Barbie isn't what she had hoped for. It's a bit laggy and there is no audio playback on the Barbie.

Then we downloaded some of the little movies she'd taken and, lemme just say, WOW. Our son got a spy watch for Christmas that takes video and the Barbie Video Girl video is better than the spy watch's video! And there IS audio when you play it back on your computer.

PROS:

- Easy to use - with three buttons, and one battery in the thigh (genius right there), it's quick and easy to use for young girls.

- Cute! Just because Barbie's a video camera doesn't mean that she can't be cute! Her jacket and pants come off, but her top stays on.

- Bendy - I personally love that she's got tons of joints and that she moves around very easily.

- Great video and audio playback - again, when viewed on the Barbie screen the playback's not so good. Viewed on the computer, though, it's amazingly decent.

- Free video editing software! Go to the website listed in the booklet and you can download video editing software, so your little Barbie lover can not only record, but can make their own Barbie movies.

CONS:

- Light - it does require quite a bit of light to get a great shot, but that doesn't mean that you have to invest in a spotlight. My daughter's bedroom light was perfect for taping. Try taping during daylight hours as well, with the overhead light on, and you'll get the best results.

- The jacket - as much as I LOVE the jacket, you have to be careful. It can easily get in the way of the camera. Make sure it's moved out of the way before you start filming, or teach your daughter to hold the Barbie by the jacket, which will pull the fabric aside and will leave the camera free to tape.

This is a great Barbie and it amazes me still how great the video and audio come out. Very impressed Barbie!
on January 18, 2016
My daughter saw this and had to have it. I was disappointed in this product. The video is grainy, can't really see or hear on the video. She thought it would be cool interactive fun but it really isn't a worth while concept. The Barbie has to be naked 99% of the time to really see the video screen, even though clothes that it came with are cut out in the back you still can't really see the screen.
on January 7, 2014
My daughter wanted this toy in Christmas 2012. It sits on my desk. It's a clever spy toy. I actually use it more than my girl does. I am trying to be a little funny here. My kids love Barbies but this one seems to stay with me. It was an expensive Barbie. I think it was $40. It has a small video screen on her back and a tiny camera as part of her belly that looks like part of her shirt. She has a USB port to connect to the computer. So anyway, she sits on my desk and she is my secret spy toy. Cute and stealthy, but expensive for what it is.
on July 24, 2014
And now for something completely different......Barbie with a camera in her chect and a small video monitor in her back. Not the greatest quality quality video but still nice. A must for any collector.
on March 27, 2013
This doll is worthless. Video camera in it is a joke. No sound unless you plug her into a computer. My daughter never plays with it because the video camera in it is so disappointing. The screen in her back is so tiny & terrible picture quality. Total waste of money! Don't buy it!!!
on August 6, 2013
The concept for this toy was very good. I took it for my niece birthday and she like it but the only draw back that we have observed it it consumes way too much of battery and the quality of the video is pretty bad.