5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, heartbreaking ....
Published on October 19, 2010 by S. Hines

3.0 out of 5 stars The Matthew Shepard Story
It was just an OK TV movie.
I don't know what ground it broke as a story, and regardless of how much I love Ms. Channing , I found her performance very restricted and not as effective. What mother smiles all the time regardless of the tragedies she has to face?
Published 17 months ago by Spyros Spentzas

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, heartbreaking ...., October 19, 2010
This review is from: The Matthew Shepard Story (DVD)
I bought this movie for my children to show how far bulling can go. Hate has got to stop and teaching our children is where it starts. My boys had no idea of what words could do. This son, brother, friend should not have had to loose his life but because he did I hope his story helps others change their way. My heart goes out to this family. I would say this is a great movie to show how far hate can go and how love is never wrong!

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, tragic and hard to watch...at times, August 19, 2010
This review is from: The Matthew Shepard Story (DVD)
I've watched this film a few times before, but never owned it until now. I have a special connection to Matthew that I can't explain. I have so much compassion for him and his family although I'm not sure I could've been as merciful towards the bigoted killers. Listen to what Dennis/Sam Waterston says at his closing statement concerning the plea bargain, that shows how I feel about the case.I was also impressed with how Stockard Channing played Judy, she was very convincing and compassionate, and I commended Shane Meier for his portrayal of Matthew.
The beating, and the scenes with that stupid hate-monger of a preacher and his clan of bigots make me furious even now. To this day, being almost 30 years old, I can't understand why we have to tolerate homophobia. That bonehead Rev. Phelps and his team need to be shut down before they get someone killed, or indirectly cause more gay suicides.
Freedom of speech is important, but what happened to respect for the dead? Hollywood is coming around, but society is dragging its feet, although I've been openly accepted by most of my friends/family in my home town.
Matthew, I think would be impressed with how much his legacy has changed close-minded people, unless of course you're Fred Phelps or one of his ilk. I commend Judy Shepard for what she's trying to do as well.
I've said it before, and here it comes again-why did it take a young innocent boy being slaugthered to make close-minded people realize that homophobia is just as wrong as being racist? Weird analogy, I know, but to me, prejudice is hatred no matter how you swing it. As for the Bible, I do believe in God, but I also believe that even if he doesn't agree with the lifestyle, he's looking down on Rev.Phelps and his team with disgust. God loves everyone-but he doesn't always agree with what we do.

5.0 out of 5 stars And The HATE Goes On, June 27, 2010
This review is from: The Matthew Shepard Story (DVD)
It is so sad this movie shows us how hateful we really are. It is sad but this still goes on today only we don't hear about it. The message the actors show is heart wrenching. The pain the family feels is well told in this movie. Just when will we learn. I think all churches should show the movie and maybe the wouldn't be so hateful to the gays in this wotld, but than again what can you expect.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Constant Reminder, April 18, 2011
This review is from: The Matthew Shepard Story (DVD)
THE MATTHEW SHEPARD STORY is a made for television movie made in 2002 and only recently released on DVD. It is time for us all to see this film again as a reminder of how heinous was this incident that rocked the world. Matthew Shepard (December 1, 1976 - October 12, 1998) as a student at the University of Wyoming who was tortured and beaten and left o die on a barbed wire fence in the prairie of Wyoming - because he was gay. Writers John Wierick and Jacob Krueger gathered the information surrounding this event and the subsequent events following his death, focusing on the trial and the difficult gesture his parents made concerning the fate of the murderers.

Roger Spottiswoode directed this compelling film, electing to engage the talents of Stockard Channing and Sam Waterston as the parents of Matthew (played with great dignity by Shane Meier). The remainder of the cast includes such touching portraits of the others involved in this tragedy as played by Tani Gellman, Wendy Crewson and Kristen Thompson. While the drama of this film is not in the same arena as 'The Laramie Project', it still is a potent reminder of an unnecessary injustice that unfortunately is still being played out across the country. Perhaps with the DVD now available for wider viewing the crime will affect more people to action begun by Judy Shepard. Grady Harp, April 11

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow, November 4, 2007
Matthew Shepard should be a household name... His tragic story is one that has sparked many Gay Rights groups, and brought the hatred in America to light. This story allows us to see what he and his family went through, not just hear about it, and try to put ourselves in their shoes. Granted, this is still a movie, and is probably elaborated in parts, but I think it aids in showing the real pain and suffering that they went through. I was able to watch this movie on Lifetime, and I cried in a couple of parts... I wish Amazon currently had it available cause if so, I would buy it. If you can find it, it is a must watch!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you can watch this without crying you have no heart!, October 24, 2008
I was fortunate to be able to get a copy of this movie through amazon market place. The first time I watched it I was in shock that anyone could treat another human being this way. I was also in shock that Judy and Dennis Shepard could be so kind as to give the killers their lives rather than seek the death penalty.

Sam Waterston and Stockard Channing give the most moving performances of their careers as Matthew's parents and Shane Meijer is excellent as Matt. My only quibble is that I would have liked to have had Elton John's song "American Triangle" to be used more throughout.

This is one of the most moving stories that you will ever see. I highly recommend that if you can get a copy watch it. I only hope that it makes DVD soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Is A GREAT Sad True Story, February 12, 2008
Its Just So Terrible That Its A True Story But This Movie Is About Matthew Shepard A Gay College Student Who Was Lead From A Bar By His Killers When They Had Told Him They Were Gay. They Pistol Whipped Him Tied Him To A Fence Stole His Shoes And Left Him There To Die....Its About His Family's Struggle Also On To Wheather Or Not Give His Killers The Death Penality.

I Recently Bought This Movie Off Ebay (Cause I Cant Find It Anywhere Else) And I Converted The VHS To DVD Format

3.0 out of 5 stars The Matthew Shepard Story, September 21, 2013
This review is from: The Matthew Shepard Story (DVD)
It was just an OK TV movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars required reading,viewing, or sharing by anyone who cares what happens about this world as the rational people we supposedly are!, August 5, 2011
This review is from: The Matthew Shepard Story (DVD)
The Matthew Shepard Story, along with my having been well aware of the actual event's occurrence earlier than my having even ever watched the movie, proved itself able to do a fine job of evoking the hurt and the utter frustration that occurs alongside nearly all of our own who find ourselves confronted by the anger and the hurt that goes right along with the reality of our being gay in this world that doesn't seem to find it at all so simple to accept us who are. But this actual and most tragic event far surpasses any actual kind of any reasonableness by virtue of the red-necked "gentlemen" who did indeed "do the dirty deed" by killing a man for no reason whatsoever other than his having been gay, and failed to take the precaution often felt to be appropriate of covering it up, by our just seeming to be found hiding it underneath a basket of some sort or another as would be symbolically existing in some underhanded manner or way quite inappropriately so to be ever so more than certainly sure! In any event, this historical event is one that must not ever become as a forgotten legacy of historical tragedies which have proven themselves to have been events that have helped to shift the balance of public feeling and thought related to this particular "issue" of what it actually means to be found openly gay in this sometimes somewhat screwed up world we share habitation within it out here too. I wish to first off recommend this movie most wholeheartedly due the reasoning as shared above, and due how equally assuredly too, that such as this kind of any event that actually happened in this world of ours here is found happening, it's those things such as this most assuredly is that prove to be found as a historical interlude that helps us bring the necessary change that this world of ours here's been waiting for to arrive, not that such events that help change history and bring it to its knees so to speak, ought to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie based on a true story., October 13, 2013
Joel Nicholson (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Matthew Shepard Story (DVD)
I wasn't sure what to expect from the movie as I had never seen it before. I read "The meaning of Matthew" written by his mother Judy Shepard, so I had an idea. As I live in Australia and had never heard of Matthew or what had happened to him, I decided to get the movie, now I had the book. I found the movie touching and found myself shedding a tear here and there while watching the film.

The Matthew Shepard Story
The Matthew Shepard Story by Roger Spottiswoode (DVD - 2010)
$6.99 $4.28