Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

• Customer Reviews

on July 27, 2008
We purchased the mattress genie after bringing my daughter home from the hospital following spinal fusion surgery. The post-surgical pain made it impossible for her to get comfortable in bed, and she could only sit in a recliner chair. For the first several days she did a circuit from one recliner to another all night long. In the hospital, she had been able to get reasonably comfortable in the adjustable hospital bed, so we looked into the mattress genie as a possible way to bring her some relief (and to get her to be in bed at night).

I was a bit apprehensive reading some of the other reviews, but was pleased (and a bit surprised) to find that the mattress genie really works as advertised. It really does elevate the head of the bed very well, and even though my daughter has an inner spring mattress, it did "break" and bend when she layed on it, creating much the same profile as a hospital bed.

To put in perspective some of the negative comments in other reviews, I'd point out that you need to have the right expectations going in, and if you're using it as we did (for one 100-pound individual lying in the center of the bed), it works surprisingly well, especially given the price. The inflation pump is the decibel level of a typical electric air mattress pump or vacuum cleaner (i.e., on the louder side), but we had no problem at all with the air bladder deflating overnight as some others have reported. It retained the air fully, so only needed to be inflated once before going to bed and was still pretty much in the same position in the morning. Thus, the noise level of the pump really wasn't a concern for us.

It does raise the mattress up to as much as 40-45 degrees, although we generally didn't need to go that much. It deflates quietly, and the motion when raising or lowering is very smooth and my daughter found it comfortable after her surgery. I can see how some reviewers had an issue when a husband and wife tried to lay on the bed together while using the mattress genie. It is very stable in the center of the bed (so works great for one person centered on the bed), but does make the edges rather unstable so it may be a challenge for two people laying on the edges of the bed. I would recommend using it with a bed that has a solid footboard (as well as headboard or up against a wall), as it does indeed tend to move the mattress toward the foot of the bed as it raises it. Similarly, the air bladder tends to move itself toward the head of the bad at the same time. A footboard stops the mattress from moving too far, so kept it well contained.

This product was spectacular for what we needed, did its job very well, and helped my daughter get in a comfortable position and sleep in her bed following her spinal fusion surgery. I'd highly recommend it, taking into account some of the considerations I noted for your specific situation.
33 comments|150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2008
Product does elevate properly, does hold up, quick to set up and a quality product. Unfortunately it probably needs to be baffled. I have a queen bed, if you sleep single the side you are on suppresses to my weight but while the empty side of the bed inflates, causing for an uneven sleeping service. I find I have to sleep in the middle of the bed and even then movements one way or another recreate the problem. Lastly, the incline forces the mattress to slide towards the bottom of the bed, if you don't have a foot board the mattress will continue to slide until it is completely off of the Mattress Genie. Beyond that, the product does as advertised.
11 comment|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2007
If you will be using it at home - permanently, it is a good option for raising the head of your bed (if your mattress will bend). If you plan to take it traveling, it is very bulky and heavy. the compressor is noisy. Some mattresses will not bend so it puts you at a very steep incline and sometimes the mattress or you will slide down!! If you try to use it on top of the mattress as a pillow, you have to fill it completely or you will sink into it.

Again, if you use it at home in a permanent situation, it is a good choice.
11 comment|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2007
If you have a mattress like the memory foam ones, it holds the mattress in place, otherwise the mattress will slide. If you are one person and stay in the middle of the bed, then it will be stable, but if you try it on the side or with two people, it will wobble and be aggravating. You will positively slide down any regular bed mattress, if it is elevated at one end. You have to elevate the head and legs, to keep from sliding. That is true for even a hospital bed or one of those $5,000.00 motorized beds. Given the money, it is very appealing! Given the overall low quality and warranty, it is better to buy yourself those really large stiff square throw pillows 36x36 and put them under the mattress, for about $25.00. They lift enough to relieve my GERD problems.
on January 8, 2009
The Mattress Genie I received lost air from the first day. I wasn't allowed return it because it had been opened. (I'm not sure how to use something without opening it...) The dealer (The Wright Stuff) contacted the manufacturer who is sending a new air bladder. But.... do I dare open it?. . .
on December 8, 2008
I have chronic lower back pain (for about 18 years now), and can not sleep on a flat mattress. I found I could sleep only in a recliner. So I decided to try this product on a Queen sized Serta Perfect Sleeper mattress, and it has worked great for me. I do sleep on the mattress by myself (in the middle), and have the Mattress Genie inflated to nearly max, and I also have a cushion under my knees. The mattress does not slide around at all, and with this setup I sleep very well.

For traveling, I find that this product is easy to pack, and it's not heavy at all. The compressor is not very large, and the inflatable part deflates and folds neatly. I find it fairly easy to install in any hotel bed. Since I always request queen size beds, it fits perfectly. And the maid service never disturbs the installed Mattress Genie.

Overall, I think it's a good product. It works well for me, I can take it with me when I travel, and if it breaks, it's cheap to replace.

Update: Some have commented that this product is noisy. Wanted to clarify that it only makes noise when you inflate/deflate it. Otherwise it is completely silent. Also wanted to state that the compressor does have a "quiet" setting that makes much less noise than the normal setting. So for those that are worried about too much noise, there is the option to switch the compressor to the more quiet setting. This will cause the compressor to take a little more time to inflate the Mattress Genie, but that's the trade-off for less noise. I personally don't think it's too noisy either way.

I am still using the Mattress Genie, going on for just over 2 years now, and am very satisfied with it. It travels with me on business trips (I find it easy to pack it), and I would recommend it to anyone who needs to sleep in an elevated bed, but doesn't want to change out their regular bed for one of those hospital beds or pay for an expensive adjustable bed. It hasn't damaged my mattress, and I continue to sleep well with it. I do make adjustments (inflate/deflate) from time to time, and it works flawlessly. Very convenient to have that remote (that lights up, by the way) handy for making adjustments.
on August 31, 2006
The first night we used the Genie Lift, I had the best night's sleep in some time. I wasn't expecting it but I slept less hours and woke up more refreshed. This has continued night after night.

It sounds a little like a vacuum cleaner when it's filling and completely quiet when deflating. For the price, you can't go wrong. We're thinking of getting another one for our camper.

P.S. 3 years after we're still pleased with this product. I use it every time I change the sheets since it makes the job easier. I want to get another for our guest bedroom.
on March 27, 2008
I purchased the Airlift and it does seem to work just like they said it would. Only problem I had was that the mattress seemed to slip off the lift; I used a strip of plastic net shelfliner under the lift and on top of it and that solves the problem. I also put a strip of the net at the foot of the bed to keep the mattress from sliding too.
Good product.
on January 9, 2007
I was skeptical about the Genie being able to lift my thick 13" mattress, but, because of medical reasons, thought I'd give it a try. I'm sleeping like a log by lifting the head about 1". It can lift it the full way for reading as well. I love it.

It is a bit loud, but you don't need to use the pump all the time as it keeps the air pretty well. If you sleep alone on a queen bed, it does get a bit lopsided if you stay on one side, but if you move slightly to the middle, it isn't a problem.
on December 5, 2011
Does not hold air; by morning its deflated. I contacted the company and they sent me a replacement unit, but that one leaks also. Apparently its just a poor design. I emailed them and asked how I could return it for a refund, but they did not reply. I do not recommend this product.
55 comments|14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse