Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on May 19, 2000
Oh, how I wish the wonderful Ms. Brooks would write more novels!
First of all, Maud Martha was written very economically which has caused me to gain a greater appreciation of poetry and concise speaking.
Secondly, Maud Martha is not only written to a female or adult audience, but it speaks to all people of different age groups, races, or walks of life.
I appreciate Gwendolyn Brooks for her nobility and classic style. Hope to see at least one more novel from her.
I have already passed on a few copies of Maud Martha. This has gone on to being my favorite book...EVER!
on July 2, 2001
"Maud Martha" is a wonderful novel and a definate must read, for it addresses issues of growing up, but it also tackles race issues in the US. I found the previous customer review passionate, but for those of you waiting for Brooks's next book, you should know that Gwendolyn Brooks, who is known more as a poet, passed away this year. She lives on in her poetry, however. I suggest the book "Selected Poems" by Gwendolyn Brooks.
on October 31, 2012
While attempting to read "Maud Martha", you may find the chapters to be quite different than most novels you read. Some of the longer chapters only range about three pages, while the shorter chapters are roughly one page length, however, do not let this fool you. The chapters should be read closely in order to understand the full emotion on the pages. I thought of the chapters within this novel as old photographs that you look at and remember intimate details about, sometimes evoking memories that you thought were lost to you. It is quite powerful.

The story follows Maud Martha and her riotous parade of human feelings. Along the way, the reader is introduced to various characters that have affected Maud one way or another.

Meanwhile, it is easy to fall in love with Maud, she is loyal to those she loves, she is smart, and she makes the most mundane of things interesting. However, what really shines in the book is the writing. The language captures you through graceful and poetic prose.

This is one book where the sum of the material is better than the individual chapters. Once you finish the novel you will realize the powerful message that Gwendolyn Brooks evokes.

I give this novel four out of five stars.
on October 10, 2003
I first read Brooks's only novel in a graduate seminar--because I was forced to read it. I had never read anything quite like it. The artistry is amazing, and the story is one that had to be told. Of course, those familiar with Brooks's wonderful poetry, particularly the Pulitzer Prize winning ANNIE ALLEN (1949), will see the strong parallels between her poetry and MAUD MARTHA. I've taught the novel in my American literature and African American literature courses. Students love it! It's a classic tale about self-discovery that makes it an enjoyable read for anyone who enjoys well-crafted poetic prose.
on January 10, 2014
This books makes me think that Sandra Cisneros' "House on Mango Street" had to have been inspired by it. A story is told so carefully and artfully through small stories that build up a big picture of Maud Martha's life. Really beautiful.
on July 12, 2015
On of my favorite books. Her use of vivid language brings the words to life. Short chapters offer vast insight into this world. A must read.
on March 23, 2016
Lovely read. Sweet, innocent and thought provoking. Beautifully written. What a talent --- Ms. Brooks, thank you.
on December 28, 2014
Interesting characters that are written in a style that a poet clearly wrote.
on February 27, 2016
Book is in perfect condition. Great book so far.
on May 7, 2015
The binding on the Third World Press 1993 edition is very poor. We bought a copy for our library and it started to fall apart after one use. Be aware that this binding is not built to last.