I am fairly sensitive personally to sunlight, and always like to have a quality pair of sunglasses when I am driving or outdoors in general. Road glare is especially a bother for me. I have a slight astigmatism for which I wear prescription glasses at night, but I don't need them during the day if my sunglasses are high enough quality.

Previous I had worn a...
Published on June 11, 2010 by Joel Avrunin

3.0 out of 5 stars love them, but flimsy
Published on April 12, 2010 by Jen Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect lenses for everything - never been happier with a pair of sunglasses - I recommend MJ Kanaha, June 11, 2010

Previous I had worn a pair of Revo's that looked similar to the Maui Jim Banyans. When I lost them in the surf (a big wave knocked me down and took them off), I decided to look at all brands (Oakley, Revo, Rayban, Maui Jim) and pick the best one.

I had two complaints on my Revo's. First, I really wanted bigger lenses to prevent any glare from reach my eye, but the Revo's looked way too big (similar to the Maui Jim Banyans). Second, I could often see the reflection of my own eye in the glasses depending on the light (which was annoying).
A friend advised me to look at the Maui Jim sunglasses, telling me the lense quality was the best and the price was reasonable. I went to try them out in a local store and finally bought the Kanaha glasses.

The optical quality through all of the Maui Jim glasses is absolutely phenomenal. I tried the brown lenses and found they really did greatly enhance visual depth and clarity, but ultimately chose the dark gray because I like the mirrored finish, true color, and additional light blocking that comes from the gray lenses. I had no problem with my in-car GPS or any other screens with the polarization direction of the lenses, and I found visual clarity through my front windshield tremendously improved (it cut the reflection of the windshield itself due to the polarizing filter).

I also noticed that I have never seen the reflection of my own eye in the glasses, an indication of the presence of an anti-reflective coating that I do not believe was present on my old Revo's.

The ultimate test of sunglasses is perhaps forgetting you are wearing them until you go inside, which is precisely what happened on the first day I was wearing these glasses. I noticed that the top and bottom of each lense is mirrored, but not the middle. I am told that this is to reduce glare while maintaining clear vision. It obviously works quite well because I am now always forgetting I am wearing the sunglasses.

As for style, these are about as big as you can get without looking bug-eyed. They have a nice side-extension around the corners of my eyes to protect them without making the lense huge.

Overall I am extremely happy with the lense, style, and fit of my Maui Jim's and I look forward to many more years of wear. Highly recommended, especially in the Kanaha style with gray lenses.

4.0 out of 5 stars Aviators can't find a better lens, February 25, 2011
I fly military helicopters. Our helmets have clear and smoke pull down visors, but they don't ever seem to cut the glare from water, snow, or from just slight annoying sunglare on the windscreen. I noticed many of my co-pilots wearing their own sunglasses under their visors when they flew. I bought my first pair for a trip to Oahu and started using them for my flights as well. Now I never get into the cockpit without them. The temple fits snugly under the ear cups due to the flexibility of the frame and doesn't cut into the side of my head as others did that I tried. The glasses don't interfere with my CEP's. The lenses are just about the perfect size and the amber lens isn't too dark so I can wear them late into the evening without feeling like I am flying night unaided. On top of it all, they fit nicely under the visors. Even when we are VFR on top, I can flip down the smoke visor and still have great visibility with a little added shade. I did have to adjust my earcups slightly to find the "right" fit (I am sure my ALSE NCO is tearing his hair out). I am now ordering my second pair.
I know about the weakpoints in the lenses at the screws, but I can say this is an acceptable casualty rate for the benefits. My last pair cracked in exactly those two places as well. I didn't even think about calling up Maui and kindly asking for a replacement lens.
I would put a strap on these, as my last pair fell off the top of my head more than once which resulted in a couple deep lens scratches from hitting the ramp (doing my "Top Gun" impersonation). Other than that, the rubber nose and ear pieces hold them snugly on your face and remain very comfortable. Really nice glasses.

3.0 out of 5 stars love them, but flimsy, April 12, 2010
This review is from: Maui Jim Kanaha Polarized Sunglasses (Eyewear)
I bought my first pair of Maui Jim kanahas a year or so ago and just loved them. After awhile, they developed a crack on the side of the lens, which I assumed was because I was too rough on them. I wear them all the time -- driving, running, biking, hiking, gardening, etc. I purchased a second pair and vowed to be more gentle, but they also developed cracks in the lenses (two!). I love the style, but I think a more hearty pair would work better for my needs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, December 14, 2011
Trouty (Ashland, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I've generally been a wire-frame sunglasses guy. But when my last pair - some Revo's - were irreparably scratched, I started shopping around. After much noodling and trying on different styles at local shops, I settled on these Maui Jims.

Pros:

They are awesome looking shades. Very stylish and happen to suit the shape of my handsomely rugged and slightly roundish face. 8-O

Very light weight. Both a pro and a con. Sometimes having a little weight makes the fit at least feel a bit more secure. My Revo's had glass lenses and felt very substantial. Some old Ray Bans I had also seemed more substantial, but probably because of the metal frame since the lenses were not glass.

Optical quality is great. No distortion. Polarization is fair - not something you would use to go fly fishing with, but the glare is definitely reduced. Good driving glasses.

Cons:

They sit slightly crooked on my nose and I can't seem to straighten them out (bane of plastic frames?). When I tried them on locally they fit fine. I looked into getting my ears adjusted, but no luck. ;)

My eyelashes hit the inside of the lenses which, over time, creates a bit of a smudge that's visible...and annoying. I could probably curl my lashes up dramatically, but my wife would probably just laugh at me. No, she would definitely laugh at me.

I've had these for a number of months now and find myself not wearing them very much because of the two cons - which is a bummer given the cost. I really want to like them because everything else about them is great. But I'm afraid I'll be on the hunt again soon. If they fit your face you'll love 'em.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great sunglasses but be careful buying here, September 17, 2013
These sunglasses are the best I ever had, however with this pair I bought here with Amazon something went wrong with the lenses then I sent the glasses to Maui Jim for repairs hoping the warranty will cover the expenses. What was my surprise, the lenses sold by Amazon or Sunglasstop as in my case are non authorized dealers thus the warranty does not cover my glasses an then I will have to pay all the repairs

5.0 out of 5 stars Maui Jim Kanaha 409-02, June 5, 2011
I purchased these glasses after I had eye surgery in 2003 and they have finally worn out almost 9 years later. I'm in the military and use these glasses hard every day. I think I even forgot them in my pocket on a few parachute jumps. As long as you take care of the polarized lenses by cleaning them with warm water and soap (never a cloth) they will last a long time, will not scratch, and never turned "blue". I'm getting ready to replace them with the exact same pair. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent shades, even better customer service, October 21, 2010
I bought these glasses about two years ago from a N3L Optics and everything worked out great, even after two years. I had the problem where the lens developed very small fractures around the screw. You have to look hard to see but it is a problem none the less. I figured I got a lot of use out of them and it was time to move on. I sent them to Maui Jim repair service and within a week they sent me back my glasses with new lenses. No charge, not even for shipping.

I notice that some people have had the opposite experience. I get the feeling these people were rude and inconsiderate while making their demands for repairs on the sunglasses. Warranty or not, people are not going to help you if you are disrespectful. So from what I have read, as long as you treat MJ with respect, they'll be glad to return the favor. I sent a 3 sentence letter explaining my situation with where I purchased them and my info. That's it. One week, New lenses, no charge, and a customer for life. Thank you Maui Jim!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Maui's!, March 17, 2014
I am so happy with this pair of Maui Jim Kanaha Sunglasses. Product is authentic, brand new, great price. Especially like the sporty style and bronze tinted lenses. Have another pair of Maui's with darker lenses and these block bright sunlight well, also. This style is great for a smaller framed face. Thanks for expediting delivery!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Customer Service, love these glasses!, September 2, 2008
I love these glasses, I just got back from vacation, wore them everyday..they are very lightweight on my face, and the lenses are very clear optically, thank you! Great customer service too!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good looks, but..., October 14, 2010
Jud Fink (New Tripoli, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Bought a pair of these elsewhere just under 2 years ago for a little less than they go for now. Unlike any other pair of sunglasses I've ever had, these cracked (where the frame meets the lens) without any abuse whatever, just sitting on top of my head as I was walking.

This doesn't appear to be an unusual experience from my reading of reviews here and elsewhere on the Web. What also doesn't appear to be unusual from my reading here and elsewhere, unfortunately, is my experience of hearing the Maui Jim repair person tell me the cracked frame could not possibly be a manufacturing defect, and refusing to fix the broken frame unless I paid 1/3 of the original price for the sunglasses. I said I didn't want them fixed under those circumstances, and told the repair person just to throw them out. Her reply was absolutely theater of the absurd - she insisted that the broken sunglasses were my property, and she had to return them to me unrepaired! I am now waiting for my broken sunglasses in the mail so I can throw them in the trash myself.

Oh yes, I also paid $[...] shipping for the privilege of being told this was how Maui Jim intended to honor its 2-year warranty.

My personal advice would be to save yourself the $[...] and just throw away your Maui Jims if they break, or save yourself the full purchase price by getting a different pair of sunglasses. On the other hand, I did receive some compliments on them while I had them, so if this is worth the purchase price to you, go right ahead.

Maui Jim Kanaha Polarized Sunglasses