Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on June 23, 2010
I selected these sunglasses after trying out a few at my local sunglasses shop. Having a typical asian face, I find that many pairs of sunglasses just don't fit properly. Either my head is too wide, my nose bridge not prominent enough, or something else prevents them from fitting well. Oakleys, even though they have an "asian fit" line, still are a stretch, particularly at their prices.

The Makaha have a flexible, plastic frame with nose bombs that protrude enough to sit comfortably on my nose and still keep the lenses from resting on my face. The lenses are top notch as well, polarized and coated so sweat and whatever wipe off without much effort. Just be sure to use the included cloth to wipe as to not damage the lenses. I've worn these while either running or playing golf and found that they are perfect for both activities. Don't forget to register these on Maui Jim's website - you'll be eligible for the warranty.
on August 1, 2013
The price on these sun glasses is so lowI almost bought them without a second thought and then I read a few reviews that mentioned the 2 year MJ warranty wasn't honored when they tried to get repairs. I called Maui Jim and they confirmed the warranty WON'T be honored unless you buy from a dealer on their authorized list and amazon nor EyeSave Sunglasses & Readers are on the list.

The nice lady I talked to answered yes until I pressed her. Fortunately, I asked her if she was sure so she went and talked with a supervisor who told her that amazon is not an authorized dealer so the warranty won't be honored. Their list of authorized dealers is very small.

Great price on the glasses, but IMO the 2 year manf. warranty is worth more than $33.
on June 27, 2013
I have owned Maui Jim's before and was excited to get these. Have only had them for a couple months and the lens have broken at BOTH screws at the nose piece. I have a hard time believing these are genuine Jim's because no other pair I've had ever broke. I have stored these in their case when not being worn and only wear them when driving or walking/running outside. Very disappointed.
88 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2014
They are great, lightweight, fit me perfectly, but if the break within a couple of months, they are not good at all.

I've actually had 2 pairs of these sunglasses and when the first pair broke, I thought I had mishandled them. Bought a second pair, and they broke just as easily.

I'll post a picture of the broken lenses.
review image review image review image
on March 19, 2014
Just a warning for anybody thinking about buying these here. I contacted Maui Jim directly and they gave me a list of authorized resellers.
on July 7, 2009
Note the frame is Grilamid (which is a fancy plastic brand), not metal if you're used to other Maui Jim glasses. Although I was initially disappointed, it makes them a great cross-over pair for running and casual wear. Also very light so they are less likely to scratch when you drop them.
on May 18, 2014
We got these glasses from the Maui Jim store at their corporate HQ in Hawaii about 5 years ago but I have been very disappointed with them. The problem is the plastic/poly lens. They crack where the screws go in near the arm after about 18 months. I've had Maui Jim replace the lenses once already and the new pair have a crack on one side again. While it's nice that you can send them in for repairs, it's not under warranty so it costs for shipping and the replacement lens, plus you won't have the glasses during that time. It takes about 5 weeks last time I sent mine in. I used to use these glasses for sports, like mountain biking and downhill skiing, putting the arms inside the helmet. Doing this doesn't flex or bend them and more than if I was just wearing the glasses alone. I store them in the included semi-hard case when not using them, I don't hang them off my shirt neck or put them in pockets, but they keep on cracking. It's a stress crack according to the nice folks at Maui Jim's I've talked to the last time I've had the lenses replaced, but I don't see where the "stressing" is coming from, other than use. I have an oval-narrow face and the arms aren't flexed out when wearing or putting them on. I'm careful with my stuff and extra careful with these since I've had to replace the lenses already. I just don't think these are a good design. They are not what I have come to expect from MJ.

However the lens' optical qualities are very good and the polarizing works well. I have 5 other sets of Maui Jims, all with glass lenses, and have never had any problems with those. I really like MJs (that's why I gave these 2 stars instead of 1)! Maui Jim usually makes and designs a top quality pair of sunglasses. These seem to be an exception. The look nice but aren't strong enough for sport use. My recommendation would be to keep shopping and get a pair of MJs with glass lenses that won't crack where the screws go in, or look at other brands that don't use the lens as part of the frame. Native has a nice pair that I have purchased to replace these. The Native lenses are easily replaceable (they include a light and dark set of lenses with the glasses) since the lens isn't part of the frame.
on September 12, 2013
Some of my friends think I'm crazy for spending more than $30 on a pair of sunglasses. Other friends have paid more than $200 (which I think it crazy). I purchased these Maui Jim Makaha's because I liked the style, comfort (tried them on at the local Sunglass Hut), weight (or lack thereof), and price ($100-200 is my sweet spot).

While you can go to almost any gas station or store and pick up a pair of polarized sunglasses, they aren't nearly as durable and the polarization is in a different direction. You can wear these all day, every day, more many, many years so long as you take care of them and don't let your 15-month-old son snap the frame. Fortunately, if that does happen, you can repair your MJ's by sending them in - It cost me $40 to get a new polycarb frame! So as has been said by many people before me, you get what you pay for. This is a perfect set of glasses to protect your eyes from the sun and has the durability to hold up to almost everything! One thing to note, and it has been noted several times before, some vehicles, not to mention names :cough: BMW :cough:, LCD screens can be filtered out where they appear off when they really aren't (mostly, the radio display). Also, in case you weren't aware, if you are a motorcyclist, be careful wearing any polarized glasses as it can make oil/slick spots on the roadway that are visible to the naked eye "disappear" and could cause you to go down (that's the nature of polarized glasses, though - it removes various reflections).
on March 10, 2015
I have always loved this style, but am disappointed that, just as others have stated, the lens broke at the top of the lens where the screw is, next to the nose piece. I am very careful with my glasses. I should have remembered that the warranty of 2 years is not valid if bought from Amazon.
on May 26, 2013
I purchased a pair of these sunglasses in December. The bridge broke through normal use (it's winter after all) by March. Although stylish, they appear to be poorly manufactured and break early and often. I returned them to Maui Jim expecting them to honor their warranty. Their customer service operation, (after charging me $10 just to return the glasses), refused to honor their warranty and offered to "repair" them for $100, slightly less than I paid for them in the first place. When I questioned their interpretation of their warranty policy, they told me that I had purchased the glasses from an "unauthorized dealer" -- Amazon -- and further that they might be fake. After researching the internet, it appears that I am not alone in having problems with poor workmanship/design, warranty problems and deplorable customer service. In my experience, they look good, but don't last and Maui Jim didn't stand behind them. If you can afford about $50/month for these, go for it. They do look great!