Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Maureen What happened to Maureen? AT the end I was left wondering about her.
asked by Audela on February 6, 2007
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 90 answers
A
lalala answered on June 6, 2007
Comment | 67 of 67 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Lisa answered on March 16, 2007
Comment | 59 of 61 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
My question by the end wasn't why hadn't Maureen turned out like the other kids, but why hadn't the others turned out more like Maureen? Indeed, how all four of them even survived, much less with their wits about them, is the largest miracle in the book.
Patricia Lundstrom answered on June 10, 2007
Comment | 44 of 44 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have not seen anyone mention the probability that Maureen was sexually abused as a child. She was a prime target in a prime location (other peoples houses) and apparently exceptionally beautiful as a child. I believe this is the unmentioned mystery of Maureen in the book.
Maureen answered on January 25, 2009
Comment | 38 of 38 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I heard Walls interviewed on WGN radio a few months ago.
The answers to your questions:
1. Maureen is, more or less, estranged from the family. She fared the worst (my opinion, not expressed by the author) because the three oldest had each other to lean on.
2. As for how her Mom felt, she lives in a guest house on Jeanette's property (in Virginia, I think) and they have a close relationship, which I found amazing.
Bonnie Rubin answered on October 12, 2007
Comment | 28 of 28 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Tika Winston answered on November 7, 2007
Comment | 38 of 41 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I also wonder about Maureen. Her mother probably loves the recognition of being the subject of a book. She's a self serving lunatic and completely enthralled with herself and her absurdity. All this attention only add's to her high opinion of herself, therefore justifying the treatment of her children.
J. E. Bollaert answered on March 8, 2007
Comments (4) | 40 of 44 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I wish I knew how Maureen is today and what she's up to! I knew her and the family briefly back in the Reagan years--maybe '82 or so--when everyone but Jeanette was living in 2 or 3 apartments in the same building on West 36th Street in Manhattan. Maureen was beautiful and a very sweet, smart, thoughtful girl. The last time I saw her was mid-80s, when she was putting herself through school at Hunter College working part-time. Wherever she is, and whatever she may (or may not) have been through in the ensuing years, I'm confident she's still a kind-hearted person and I wish her well.
David, Recruiter answered on February 10, 2009
Comment | 24 of 24 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
alf artigan answered on February 7, 2008
Comment | 27 of 28 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
tulip answered on August 14, 2007
Comment | 31 of 34 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   Next ›

See all questions about this product