Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Maverick HC-01 Hero Electric Hot-Dog Steamer, White
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 21, 2008
I received this item as a gift and was pleasantly surprised at how well it makes hot dogs. I even tried skinless hot dogs (which normally lose a lot of taste when boiled or microwaved) and they tasted great! This machine is well worth the money. It makes quick, easy, and flavorful hot dogs every time.
on May 24, 2011
We love the steam job this thing does on hot dogs, though we wish we could get more into it at one time; the Ball Park franks ("they plump when ya cook 'em") only fit four or five at a time, maximum, without pushing the lid off-center. You might be able to get as many as six other hot dogs on there.

The only real problem I have with it is that it's rather difficult to get clean. If you buy this, be aware you'll either need really skinny fingers or a skinny brush like the kind you use on bottle nipples to get the removable "plate" clean; it has a lot of crevices that you just can't get to otherwise. Also, the heating element in the base will discolor after a few uses. I haven't figured out how to get it back to pristine again, if that's even possible.

One note on use: Basically, the more water you put in it, the longer it will run. When using hot dogs that plump up when cooked, this can cause splitting. I usually only fill just to the point where it spills over the lowest level, where the heating element is. That's easily enough to cook three or four Ball Park franks with little or no splitting.
on December 31, 2011
This thing may look hoky and cheap but it actually works! I was worried it would be too small to cook the large hotdogs from Costco but I can fit 2 Kirkland Signature Brand Hotdogs in it when I criss cross them (I cook them a few minutes longer but that's just cuz I love my hotdogs piping hot) but this steamer does the job! Easy to clean, inexpensive and hotdogs taste great! I like to stick my bun inside of it when the hotdogs finish because the residual steam is enough to soften the bun and warm it up, saved me from buying a bun warmer! You will not be disappointed if you buy this! SO glad I went with this instead of a large expensive clunky metal cooker, it takes up little space and works awesome!
on August 17, 2009
Purchased as a gift for my nephew because he loves steamed hot dogs. Works great very easy to use. Would recommend it to anyone. Even bought one for myself.
VINE VOICEon April 18, 2011
I bought this last week because it was cute and on sale! I tried it for the first time today and could not believe how good the hot dogs were. I used the 'kinda expensive' beef hot dogs and they have never tasted as good as when done in this little guy. I'm serious! If there is a negative aspect it would be that it would not appear to work with the longer hot dogs and you can't cook more than 6 at a time, but I cooked 4 and then immediately cooked 4 more.

Now, about the cats :) We have 5 large rescue cats who have never been around dogs. When Hero started barking, they all ran for cover. It continues to bark until you unplug it so be prepared to do it quickly because after a few drawn out times, it isn't so cute anymore :) It sounds like "ruff...ruff ruff ruff....ruff...ruff ruff ruff... continuously...."

I highly recommend this product based on the fast cooking and excellent taste of the hot dogs we cooked in it.
on September 10, 2009
I have scoured the internet looking for cheap home hot dog steamers for the last 2 years. I have ended up purchasing 50-70 dollar steamers only to have them crack and break after 6 months. I decided to give this one a try after all the good reviews and to my suprise, it out-cooked all my other steamers by far. The hot dogs were so quick (6 minutes) and the steamer it's self is so easy to clean. My Wife makes fun of the fact it barks, but who cares when you can have your junk food this fast and this good.
on January 14, 2012
This thing works great, and it's very easy to use. Try using beer instead of water, the hot dogs come out excellent!
on December 31, 2013
I've tried fairly fat sausages and skinny hot dogs and all have turned out well once I learned the proper water ratios for my taste.
I live at 6800 feet above sea level on the North side of Colorado Springs and at this altitude you need to use more water to make sure the cooking time is sufficient to fully heats the hot dogs or sausages. Using the included measuring cup I wind up using that measure plus half again to get what I believe are properly and thoroughly heated results.
Definitely like the way the interior tray is set up to steam the hot dogs and catch any run off of juices and oils - help keep the unit clean and I believe prevents any build-up on the heating element.
Overall, for its simple purpose, and after learning how much water to use, it turns out a consistent and reliable cooked hot dog or sausage with minimal required cleanup.
on June 12, 2008
The Hero Hotdog steamer really gives us great steamed hotdogs at home and it barks when it is done just fantastic.
on June 1, 2011
I got this as a gift for a friend's graduation since he absolutely adores hot dogs, and I conjured up an elaborate plan to give this steamer to him and then make dinner for him and his family, so needless to say, I was really hoping this would live up to expectations. And it did! The thing is uber-cute, and less than 10 minutes later, we had six great hot dogs! They came out (after the dog started barking; so awesome!) very hot, very juicy, and delicious! The skins had split open, which is always a good sign for me that they'll be hot all the way through. And they stayed hot, too, throughout the meal. The dogs are lifted off the drop-pan so they're not sitting in their own fat and grease, which is really nice. And, the thing can't be easier to clean! Just lift the drop-pan, dump it somewhere, give it and the cover a quick wipedown, and you're good to use it again whenever! I would definitely get myself one of these in the near future, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a quick dog!