5.0 out of 5 stars A device with 101 uses!
Published on September 23, 2009 by BodyART

2.0 out of 5 stars Maverick: short-lived
Published 20 months ago by farmerdave

5.0 out of 5 stars A device with 101 uses!, September 23, 2009
This review is from: Maverick Laser Surface Thermometer (Kitchen)
Well, it might not have 101 obvious uses, but given some time I bet I can come up with a few dozen tasks this little baby is perfect for. I bought it primarily for use in the kitchen, as I was lacking a method of checking the surface temperature of my frying surfaces on the stovetop. Stovetops are not precision controlled, and high on one may be medium on another, depending on if its an open flame, glass/ceramic enclosed electric element, or raised element. Now I can put my favorite pans on the stove on medium, and watch how long each one takes to get to certain key temperatures for optimal cooking. I use this primarily when shallow frying items, opposed to deep frying. The temperature is off a little between the top surface of the oil and the bottom, but overall its an accurate way to fry small items you'll need to flip once, like a pan of good ol' fried chicken wings, fries, or perogies.

Its also great if you have an electric griddle and want to regulate the temperature, or check the temperature compared to the built in thermostat. Shine the lazer in your oven aimed at the back wall where you'd normally install an oven thermometer, right upon opening the door so you don't let much heat out. This is also good for the grill to check how hot your coals are, and to even see how well your air conditioner is working. When I am cooking, I'll frequently shine the lazer on my outside and inside walls around me to see the average temperature in the room. of course, the outside walls are a degree or two cooler at night, and warmer during the day. :)

The price is *very* right for this item. other similar products cost $150+. I've only had this thermometer for a few weeks now, but I use it daily and it's worked well sofar. I'd reccomend it highly as a household gadget that might surprise you one day by letting you solve a problem you normally wouldn't have a tool for. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very cool gadget, April 18, 2010
This review is from: Maverick Laser Surface Thermometer (Kitchen)
This has really made a difference in the kitchen, believe it or not. I've found that I've not let the saute pans heat up to the right temperature before throwing in the food. No more guessing. It's also handy around the house. It's accurate from many feet away. I've given this as a gift now to two people, and they've had similar fun and usefulness with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I prefer Maverick over the Kintrex, June 9, 2012
This review is from: Maverick Laser Surface Thermometer (Kitchen)
I purchased this AND another "Kintrex IRT0421 Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer with Laser Targeting" at the same thime.

This Maverick felt solid and gave a good reading at room temperature.
The Kintrex was 10 degrees low (room temp items read 65 degrees and the temperature should have been closer to 74 degrees,
Also the Kintrex had a defective battery cover. It would not close shut due to bad design.

I returned the Kintrex

5.0 out of 5 stars Maverick Laser Thermometer, December 19, 2010
This review is from: Maverick Laser Surface Thermometer (Kitchen)
I love this thing,lol. It works excellantly !! Right to the dot !! In 4 seconds no less. Very Handy, I'm SO glad i saw Alton Brown using it !! If Alton likes it, I'm getting it, and I'm SO glad I did !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars finally know the temp, September 6, 2010
This review is from: Maverick Laser Surface Thermometer (Kitchen)
Finally a convient way to know when the pan is ready. Easy to use and a great tool for the kitchen or barbeque grill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, July 8, 2013
This review is from: Maverick Laser Surface Thermometer (Kitchen)
I have had far too much fun with this little device. Though its primary use is the kitchen and grill (it has been great for checking the temperature of my pizza stone), it has also been fun to use around the house in other ways. As in - Could I really cook an egg on the sidewalk on this hot day?(148 degrees) Wow, that black cat sitting in the sun looks hot - what is the surface temperature of her fur on her back? (108 degrees).

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the Maverick Laser Thermometer!, September 8, 2011
This review is from: Maverick Laser Surface Thermometer (Kitchen)
I've had my Maverick Laser Thermometer for at least a couple of years and only recently had to replace the two AA batteries that came with it. Use it all the time in the kitchen...check pan surfaces, double check oven temp vs the regular oven thermometer, found it quite useful for checking the temp of oil for frying (shallow as well as deep) and, unexpectedly, found it to be good for getting the temp of my ice cream concoction just right for putting it into the machine. Double checking the fridge and freezer temps. It is very fast and very accurate. I am here today to purchase one as a gift for my niece. The price at Amazon is a very good one, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good instant read themometer, July 13, 2012
This review is from: Maverick Laser Surface Thermometer (Kitchen)
I bought this about a year ago.

I was making yogurt, and needed to know when the milk had cooled down to the right temperature to start putting in the starter (110 degrees F).
Meat probes are not safe for liquids, so I purchased this. It has worked flawlessly.
It works well for meat as well.
It runs on AA batteries, so you can use rechargeables. It looks good as well.

I paid about $50 at a retail store and wish it had been a bit less, but at the online prices, there is really no reason not to buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Thermometer, July 25, 2011
This review is from: Maverick Laser Surface Thermometer (Kitchen)
Good thermometer, good price. I have used it on the BBQ, On the stove, for making ice cream. I like it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Maverick: short-lived, January 18, 2013
This review is from: Maverick Laser Surface Thermometer (Kitchen)
Purchased the Maverick Laser Surface Thermometer to chart water temperatures for a residential "pump and dump" Water Furnace heat pump. It worked fine for about five months, then started showing obviously erroneous readings. Changed to new batteries, but no improvement. This gadget has never been dropped, exposed to extreme temperatures, or abused in any way. The 90-day warranty is past, so no help there.

Maverick Laser Surface Thermometer