5.0 out of 5 stars Runs good on Windows 7
Despite the harsh reviews that I've seen, I decided to give this a try. (I am a proud Windows 7 user.) By the way this is the platinum edition of the 25th anniversary edition. (There was no cd key or code in this version. It just installs and you run it. And it's also mac compatible. I don't have a mac so I can't say if it'll run on that.)

Mavis Beacon just...
Published on November 16, 2010 by Sadnasser

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!
Published on November 19, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Runs good on Windows 7, November 16, 2010
This review is from: Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Deluxe - 25th Anniversary Edition SB (CD-ROM)

Mavis Beacon just keeps getting younger and younger. And thinner. :o

Installation was a breeze on my laptop.
Installation was a breeze on my desktop.
You don't need the CD in the drive to run it. (Big Plus)
No online activation. (Big plus)It appears that once you buy it you keep it. ie not a rental like Office.

Needs at least 1024x768 res. So some netbooks that still have 1024x600 may have difficulty.

If you have a widescreen monitor, set your graphics card to keep the aspect ratio and not to stretch it. (I have my Nvidia card set for Nvidia scaling with fixed aspect ratio. That setting seems to work best.) My monitor's native res in 1680x1050. You'll get better results since Mavis is not widescreen. Not a big deal to me. It will be to some.

I've ran this all day on my laptop and desktop with no problems at all. Registration isn't required to run the program. Just x out of it if it doesn't pop. The default music is similar to that in Simcity and Sims games. However, you can use whatever music you want. (Though you could do that in another program anyway.)

I ran with whatever Mavis threw at me. I played for 4 hours strait. With the variety of things she threw my way it didn't grow tedious at all. Very pleasant. I usually type at about 20-25 words a minute with looking at the keyboard. Toward the end of my sessions (2 hours on laptop and 2 hours on desktop), I was at the beginning of the intermediate stage on each installation. I ended up with more than 30 words per minute without looking at the keyboard.

The activities themselves so far seem to be short; not more than a few minutes each depending on your speed of completion. It's good for a few minutes here and there. It saves your progress as you go. It's also good for much longer sessions as well. (One activity leads into another.)

By the way, every once in a while, she detects a problem with the way you type and puts you back to an earlier lesson, then when it's done, she brings you back to the present. This didn't look like a bug to me, though I can see how someone can misinterpret that. It was all cut and paste. She tells you that you are going to go back but once you're back the text reads as if you are there for the first time. When she was satisfied she brought me back to the present. To me it just looked like a way to review a past lesson. Still, it can be jarring if you don't read all of her explanations (They tend to repeat).

All in all I'm satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Deluxe - 25th Anniversary Edition SB: Great For PC Users!!!, March 10, 2011
Well, time to break the tie! I mean, this product has received 3 Five-Stars and 3 One-Star reviews from customers [As of the date this review was first written]. I think it's time to weigh in to one side rather the other.

First let me share the System Requirements as provided on the product cover (and no where else to be found on the product listing!!!) :

PC users: Windows XP (Home & Pro) SP3, Vista SP1, Win 7, Pentium 4 (2.4 GHz or higher), 1 GB of RAM (2 GB RAM for Vista & Win 7 users), 300 MB free hard disk space, DirectX 9.0c graphics card w/128 MB or more video memory, 24-bit color monitor, 1024x768 resolution, CD/DVD-ROM drive, Windows compatible sound card, mouse, keyboard, speakers, Internet Explorer (7 and later) or Firefox (3 and later) browsers, Internet connection, Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Mac users: OS X 10.5 & later, PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo or newer, 1 GB RAM, 300 MB free hard disk space, 24-bit color monitor, 1024x768 resolution, CD/DVD-ROM drive, Mac compatible sound card, mouse, keyboard, speakers, Safari (3 and later), or Firefox (3 and later) browsers, Internet connection.

There you have the minimum requirements to dig into. But before we move on with tis review it maybe helpful to know that I'm using this software on a Lenovo Edge 14 laptop which runs on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with Intel Core i3 (M350 @ 2.27 GHz), 4 GB RAM, & screen res. of 1366x768.

Pros:

* Ease of Installation: Set up was a breeze. Just pop the CD into your drive, follow the on screen prompts & voila!
* No online activation is necessary. It asks you if you'd like to register your product but that's your call. You don't have to.
*Unlike older versions, you don't need the CD to start the program. Once installed onto your computer, you can access it by double clicking its icon on your screen.
*Activities are rather short, for me at least, fun and effective. I'm sure they'll be as appealing to kids as they are to adults.

Cons:

Nothing as of the date of this posting.

Very IMPORTANT NOTES:

* PC vs Mac users: Based solely on the customers reviews posted in relation to this product, I'd definitely take caution & make a careful consideration as to whether or not buy the Mac version. Simply because two out of the three negative reviews given to this product were written by Mac users. One customer at least mentioned there's a persistent problem with this product even with older versions so :-( ?!

* Technical Support: Sucks! But here's why: I've never had a problem with my order & so never had to deal with their Customer Support but like other customers have noted Tech Support is made so out of reach it's ridiculous. I've googled them a little and come up with this link for those of you who wants to reach them (Tech Support phone # is provided at the bottom of the page):

[']

Bottom Line:

I've used Mavis Beacon products before & liked & so as I upgraded to this version I knew what to expect, and it lives up to my expectations. It has improved over previous versions and it works great on my system. I'd definitely recommend it to a PC user (Kids & their parents alike!) But I won't recommend it to a Mac user.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!, November 19, 2010
A Kid's Review
This is the second version of Mavis Beacon that we have purchased and the same software bug exists. As you set goals for yourself, at some point right around when you're typing close to 50 WPM, the software flips all of your stats into negitive numbers. There is no way to climb out of the hole. You'll never know where you're at from this point on because it starts to count up from the negitive number and you start going backwards towards zero. Very frustrating for my children who depend on acurate numbers for their progress reports in school. This bug has existed in their software for over 5 years now and there does not seem to be any need to fix it. I've reported the problem in detail and all that I'm ever told is to wait for the newer version to come out. They will not refund your money, they just sucker you into buying another version and the problem still exists. We've duplicated this problem on three different computers in my house. Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. All Operating Systems were fully patched up. It's not our computers. This company has a bug in their software that they will not correct. I would tell you not to buy this product!

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS VERSION!!!, November 1, 2010
Morgan (Ajax, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
I purchased Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Platinum (25) for the Mac about 3 weeks ago.

The product is full of bugs & issues and should not have been released, yet.

Just a few of the problems:

- Currently, after 12 hours of typing, my typing speed is -25 wpm. Yes, folks, NEGATIVE 25 WORDS PER MINUTE. Not sure how that's possible??? (About 4 days ago, my speed was 30 WPM...)
- I can't access my test results, except for the tests I did on day 1 and day 2. (I've done about 35 tests since then)
- Once, when I was in the middle of "Intermediate Training", I was kicked right back into "Beginner Training" -- not to help me with my skills, but as a bug (there was no record of all the work that I'd done to that point). After restarting the program a number of times... and then completing a couple of beginner tests, suddenly all my info returned?!?!

I have no idea if the older versions of MBTT fare better, but be warned: IF YOU BUY THIS SOFTWARE FOR THE MAC YOU WILL FIND BUGS!!!

I contacted Technical Support about these issues (and more) and received no response. I'm returning the product for a refund.

I'd give it 0 stars if I could.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Customer Support, September 27, 2010
I purchased this software (mac version) almost one day ago, and I still can't tell you what its like. Thats because, every time I have tried to start it up, it tells me that the registration service isn't responding, so I can't access the software. It is incredibly frustrating that I purchased this software and have the authorization key, but can't use it because the company hasn't fixed their registration process. I have contacted the company, but even that has been useless. First of all, the support section of the website has no live support, email address to contact, etc. If you keep clicking through, you will find a link to open a support request. After submitting it, you get no confirmation or feedback at all. I still have yet to hear back from them. For all I know, the company doesn't even exist anymore. Its just a website that sells you unusable software. I will update here if and when this gets resolved. Until then, I would assume that anyone buying this software will find it unusable since we all have to use the same registration service.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bug ridden, May 28, 2011
It's disappointing to say this bug ridden software might still be the best there is available.

As other posters have commented, your stats start going backwards, making them worthless. Audio transcription lessons start, but with no audio making it impossible to continue. Other lessons will start by saying you'll do classic literature and then present you with something like famous quotes.

The software is full of bugs making the user experience thoroughly disappointing. There has to be something better our there. Perhaps purchase a learn to type book?

1.0 out of 5 stars Could not get it to license so could not use it, November 1, 2011
Tried to install the software and followed all of the instructions but could not get the licensing code to work so was never able to use the software. Contacted tech support multiple times but never got a reply. I am getting a refund.

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't work on Snow Leopard, July 7, 2011
Mike "Preacher" (SAVANNAH, GA, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my Mac running OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard. It does not work with Snow Leopard. Don't buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than good, not quite awesome!, December 2, 2011
Kathleen M. Lathrop (Orchard Park, ny United States) - See all my reviews
Purchased this program to brush up on my already above average skills (58 - 65 AWPM). First off, I have always loved the Mavis Beacon line and I like this too. The variety of tests and lessons really work you and work the spots where you need help the most. However, as a secretary and I am sure the other secretaries out here will agree, Dictation means " To say or read aloud to be recorded or written by another". This program has a 30 minute dictation that just shows the letters and is not audible. I CANNOT dictate that way with any speed. I have to hear the words spoken to dictate it. There is no way to move past this and so you are stuck for 30 plus minutes typing one letter at a time. This brings my AWPM down to 11!! This should probably be removed from the program or have audio with it!

Other than this, I am very pleased with the product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Software, November 28, 2010
This is a great software for word processing learners. It is helpful, also, if you have kids between the ages of 10-14 who are interested in developing typing skills. I recommend it.

Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Deluxe - 25th Anniversary Edition SB
Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Deluxe - 25th Anniversary Edition SB by Encore Software (Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger / 10.5 Leopard / 10.6 Snow Leopard, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
$19.99 $16.29