Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Max Payne 3 - Playstation 3
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Video Game|Change

on May 15, 2012
I must say I am impressed and a little surprised with what they have done with Max Payne. I have been building this game up in my head for the past few years since I first caught wind of it and I must say it has met and beat my expectations. The game is very well put together. There is intense action, a lot of violence, and a carefully woven story that is peppered with flashbacks and poetic cut scenes. The single player campaign is roughly 10 hours long and the trophies are split up between single player and multiplayer, though there are a few more single player trophies. Fans of the original games will enjoy this very much. I have a feeling that newcomers may gravitate more toward the multiplayer side of the game, while us old timers play Max Payne for the gripping story and the depressed main characters drunken inner monologue.

The full installation size is 5.5 gigs, there was a 25mb update on release day and a 59mb update on 5-21-12 which may have corrected some of the below issues gamers have been having. You DO NOT need to be connected to the internet for Max Payne 3 to save your game, as others have claimed you do. I unhooked my network and played for an hour, quit, restarted and it went right to where I left off. You also will earn trophies, but you need the internet to sync them to the PSN. Some players have noted that there are audio interruptions throughout the game, I have noticed this as well, however they are very minimal and random throughout the game which does not hinder the game playing experience. My only issue was that the voice did not match the characters lips moving in a short cut scene, again, a very mild issue which may have been corrected with the most recent update as I have not had any issues since.

Pros
+ Beautiful natural feeling graphics. Fairly well detailed and smooth running. It has a unique style that is very entertaining.
+ There is a very nicely woven storyline that really holds your interest throughout.
+ The A.I. is very good in my opinion giving us smart challenging enemies.
+ Music is classic Max Payne, but with a modern twist. Sound is very clear and strong. Voice acting is top notch and funny at times.
+ Bullet time is very well crafted. 360 shooting while on the ground is a nice touch. Shooting from cover is also well achieved.
+ Multiplayer does grow on you after more plays. It is fast, simple and smooth.

Cons
- Multiplayer is not as great as I was hoping. It is a bit clunky and only mildly entertaining. Bullet time is fun, however easily becomes a mess with many players. I would not recommend this game simply for multiplayer.
- Control in single player and multiplayer takes a little while to get used to. It is good, however it needs to grow on you. Sort of reminds me of the Alan Wake controls and the aiming system reminds me of Red Dead Redemption.
- I found that the game does get slightly repetitive after a while, however with the regular scenery change and story jumping it is very minimal.
- Bullet time can sometimes actually hinder your game play. If an enemy shoots you and you are near death, you are forced into a locked bullet time, which is cool, but if you need to reload or an object is in your way you will die and you have no control. Very frustrating.
- There a few weird clipping issues. Sometimes when you shoot an enemy they will just stand there frozen, and eventually fall.

One little pet peeve of mine in games is when they take the control away from the player, well due to all the loading cut scenes they do take the control away quite often and have varying length cut scenes. It does get annoying after a while and for the most part you cannot skip the cut scenes as it is loading the next section. However I rather sit through a cut scene than a empty loading screen.

As a huge Max Payne series fan, I was a little insulted by them adding multiplayer, though it is mildly fun and entertaining and like any multiplayer game it greatly depends on who you are playing with. Other reviews are saying this third installment in the Max Payne series has drifted from its roots. I agree and disagree. It has been almost 10 years since Max Payne 2 came out and the game needed a facelift. It is still Max Payne, however they have gone above and beyond to make this a new gaming experience yet still hold on to the classic aspects we look for. Max is old, I felt as bad for him as I did for Bruce Willis in Die Hard 4. He still has it though! Max's sad poetic dialogue, painkillers, and bullet time are all here. The game is very violent and intense, mostly seen in bullet time slow-mo kills showing the bullets flying through your enemies like a grapefruit.

The game is very smooth and stable and I have had no issues with glitching or lagging. At one point a multiplayer game did freeze up (the game, not the system) on me and it restarted within 30 seconds and took me back to the multiplayer menu.

Over-all I am very happy with Max Payne 3. It has lived up to my expectations and the hype. However keep in mind it is a single player game, with a less than perfect multiplayer game latched onto the single player for survival. The style is great; it is like a Heavy Rain and L.A. Noire and a Tony Scott (especially Man on Fire) film all in one. It is highly entertaining and the dialogue is fun and holds your interest throughout the game play. The loading times are hidden in the cut scenes, so there are many long cut scenes and they do seem to interrupt often, so if you are looking for a shoot um' up style game you'll get it with MP3, however you'll have to sit through the cut scenes first.

Highly recommended.
1515 comments| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2012
Dark, gritty, and incredibly violent, "Max Payne 3" was clearly inspired by the works of the late, great Tony Scott. Spoken words of dialogue sporadically popping up on the screen as white text... color distortions and filters... multiple frames split with bold lines... a muted color palette... all of these elements of style summoned Scott's films to mind, while playing MP3. More than anything else, however, it was the gritty storytelling and the darkness of character that reminded me of Scott. The first thing that popped into my mind when I began playing MP3 was "Man on Fire", the great Denzel Washington revenge movie. And at its core, that's exactly what MP3 is: an interactive revenge movie.

I can't think of another game I've played that's as atmospheric as MP3. You can feel the suffering of this man, and all his many follies. The other characters are also richly drawn, and the settings of Brazil (both the impoverished areas and the wealthy ones) are created effectively and convincingly. The various chapters are oftentimes brilliant, with some of the standouts being an enormous soccer stadium, a river traversed by speedboat, and a siege upon a luxury yacht in the Panama Canal. The story, voice acting, and cut scenes are all surprisingly good, and they paint a story that at first seems generic, but slowly becomes a riveting force that propels you forward through the campaign, eager to see the next chapter.
I feel like Rockstar Studios would have been better served by creating a new IP for this game, because it's so much more advanced and sophisticated than the other two titles in the series... but that's far more of a compliment than a complaint.

I took off one star for some issues: Foremost, the violence. I understand this is a violent story, and a mature title designed for adults, just like an R rated film. But some of the violence is simply gratuitous, particularly the slow motion, close up kills that signify the clearing of enemies in a room- and to make matters worse, this is hardly a new "trick". "Stranglehold" was doing this way back in 2006.

Second, the mechanics are a tad dated, and not quite as smooth as the best of the competition. Rockstar insists on mapping their aim and trigger inputs to the bumper buttons for some reason (just like in "Red Dead Redemption"), as opposed to the trigger buttons. This is fundamentally inconvenient for a couple of reasons... it defies the industry standards, and makes it difficult for gamers who are hardwired for conventional controls (alternate button mapping is possible, but you can't use the triggers for triggers, no matter what you choose). There is a very good reason why the trigger buttons on your controller are called trigger buttons... it's because they replicate triggers!

The slow motion trick (otherwise known as "bullet time") has not aged particularly well. The combat of this game is at its best when it relies upon the stop and pop, cover based shooting. Diving around in slow motion feels forced, and is not very fun. I only used slow motion when I was absolutely forced to, because there was no cover around.

These shortcomings, however, cannot undo what is a fantastic game, a credit to Rockstar Studios, and a fitting homage to Tony Scott.
44 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 6, 2016
Even though I am transitioning to the PS4 for my game playing, when I see a deal on a game on the PS3 that I missed when it first came out that I want to play, I grab it. When this went on sale for 7 bucks, I couldn’t resist getting it as I figure that even if I don’t like it, I am only out a small amount of money. I didn’t play the first two games of the series so I can’t say how this compared to those.

Game play is fairly simple especially when compared to some of the newer games I have been playing lately but still is fun to play although the control and aiming takes a bit to get used to. The story itself is pretty good with good character acting and good narrative within it, but there are quite a few cut scenes (which can't be skipped) and the game itself is pretty linear. Between cut scenes you are also sometimes intentionally put into difficult situations made more difficult because it doesn't put you in the location you were previously (such as being hidden behind cover and now you are suddenly out in the open and have to dive a particular direction. This to me was a bit of an annoyance and an attempt in my mind to make the game length longer than it truly is by making those situations more difficult than they would have been. The actual playing portion of the game in between the cut scenes is bit short me in terms of the amount of time you play in between the cut scenes. I have never completed a game so quickly as I finished this in less than 3 days of playing a few hours a day. I don't see this as a game I would go back and play either and I don't see the extras (such as the timed scenes) as adding much replay ability to the game as well.

Considering this has been out for 4 years or so, the graphics are decent and have pretty good detail although there are a few graphical glitches from time to time. The sound and music is also well done and help create the atmosphere for the game.

Granted this is an older game but for the amount I paid, I still got my money’s worth and enjoyed playing but if I had paid full price for this when it came out, I would be a little less satisfied at how short the game is overall.

4 stars
on February 5, 2016
Fairly new to the franchise but I am familiar with the story. You see when this franchise came out I was more focused on fighting and racing games at the time. Well to start off the game is well done. It reminds me a bit of a better made Kane and Lynch. The things missing in those 3rd person shooters. Max payne 3 has them. The mechanics are fun and simple. As for the story, the story feels more of a dlc story mainly because its not a major factor. *spoilers* max could have avoided a lot of the scenarios. But then again he is like a hire bodyguard. The shooting galleries are well done and not bland as other games like uncharted. The bullet holes are fun to look at during slo mo sequences. The length of the game is about 8-9 hours long. Its a satisfying play through even though the ending of the game is a bit "meh" overall you can feel max paynes feels during the narrations and the voice acting is well done. Overall the game is pretty cheap 10 dollars worth. Even the game would be worth the retail price of 30. The guns in the game dont seem like there is any difference. Most of the time youll be gunning with two automatic pistols (max paynes usual picked guns) theres a nice variety, not a lot though. But a decet amount. Nonetheless its a nice 3rd persom shooter that foesnt disappoint
on December 14, 2013
I originally ordered this to go alongside another game that had my primary interest upon ordering. I didn't expect much from this, but I did always wonder what this game was like. I was very disappointed at the other game I had bought with it, and it turns out I was equally as joyous that I purchased Max Payne 3!

At the time I first played it, I had only ever played Max Payne 1 (which I had forgotten deeply). I was worried that there would be too much focus on past events that would cause me to lose connection to the current one. Luckily, that was not the case. They do mention names and events from Max's past, but rest assured that for new players it's easily just a case of "I wonder what happened back then," and for returning players to the series, it's simply nostalgia. If this is the first time you're hearing about Max Payne, choosing to play the 1st or 3rd one first has no impact on the game, nor the series.

This game features a bit of a heavy focus on Max Payne's narration throughout the game, just like the last two games. For some, this can be annoying, but for me, I enjoyed it. Why? Well, for starters, the story and character development are superb! It's in such a way that you actually *want* to know what Max is thinking.

Max Payne 3 is quite linear, as has always been the nature, so don't expect to roam around and find hidden buildings. With that said, I would prefer it be linear in this sense. I started the game and was immediately connected, and wanted to stay connected until the end (and then some). This game did a fine job at doing that. It also has a high amount of re-playability even after you complete it.

You *will* die a lot in this game, granted you die a lot less as you get better at playing. Something I love about this game is the "cool factor" it has. You can press one button and go into Bullet Time (slow-motion) to aim precisely, or to just get out of a tough situation (since you can't get killed while you're in a Bullet Time dive). The controls are responsive for the most part, but you may die from abnormal movements. Though, like I said above, the more you get used to these abnormal movements, the less you die from them.

Almost whenever you pick up "Painkillers" (used to heal yourself), Max will say a line, almost as if letting the player know why he picked it up. It was nice seeing what he'd say the next time. Also, if you take a fatal bullet while you're carrying a Painkiller, instead of dying right away, you'll slowly start falling to the ground; at which point you gain the ability to kill the person that shot you. If you kill him, you won't die, and will instead fall to the ground and get back up.

For multiplayer, I was pleasantly surprised. At first, I didn't play it for a while because I didn't really want to join the multiplayer of a game I didn't know. Hence, I played Single Player for a good long while. When I first started playing the multiplayer, it was confusing in the beginning, but I slowly got the hang of it. It requires you to be quick with your on-screen reflexes (and a decent internet connection can play a heavy part in it as well). If you have neither of the above, then your experience may differ. There are, however, some annoyances within Multiplayer; such as a particular pistol being more accurate than generally any rifle could hope to be, and being just as strong as well. It doesn't cause other weapons to be useless, but it does cause the pistol to be favored more than any other gun, especially with how light it is.

You can choose between Faction characters or characters from the story mode to play as, including Max. (There is also DLC available that adds additional Faction characters as well as previous characters from the earlier Max Payne entries.) Faction characters are basically the simple enemies you kill in story mode, the "bad guys." It has an average character customization for those Faction characters -- nothing too in-depth, but you can make a character "yours" easily enough with a higher rank to unlock more customization options. The ranking system also includes a "Prestige"-like mode, allowing you to reset all your earnings once you get to max rank, and then start all over with a new Prestige rank icon.

I didn't buy this game for multiplayer (and I probably wouldn't), but it's a nice addition. One thing to note, is that now, the servers aren't loaded with people; meaning that it won't be a plethora of matches to find in the Matchmaking. At times, it can go a while without finding a game. Sadly, this is amplified with DLC maps since not everyone buys them. But that's mainly at the dead hours. There are still people playing and enjoying the multiplayer, though it's just not what it used to be.

The heart of this game resides within the Single player mode, and what a great heart it is. I feel for Max as he goes through the game. The story that the developers try to present is presented well, and there is never a feeling of a rushed scene or a "downgrade" in quality anywhere throughout the game.

PROS:
-Engaging storyline
-Great character development (storyline-wise, not customization)
-Near flawless presentation
-Responsive controls for the most part, may die some times due to them, though
-Decent multiplayer
-A good amount of re-playability

CONS:
-Inability to skip cutscenes (the function is there, but 75% of the time, you can't skip the scene because the game is "loading" the next map)
-Slightly unbalanced multiplayer weapons, favoring towards pistols.

The cons are in no way game-breaking, but are worth knowing. Another thing to note for returning players, is that this Max Payne does away with the comic-strip story telling, and just uses cut-scenes. Load screens are of comic-strip pictures of scenes related to that level, though.

Overall, I'm very glad that I unknowingly bought the game that I consider a favorite of mine. If you've played the past two Max Payne games, or even if you haven't, you just may enjoy this a lot. If it helps any, had I known what this game was at the time of release, I would have gladly payed full price for it. It's definitely a great game at this price!
on December 26, 2012
The terrible pun best describes my experience with this game. Really it's a good game (for $20 anyway) but boy does it annoy at times. The story is lengthy and engaging and the acting fantastic, but the main character's bout of depression and self destruction got tiresome. Gameplay is fun but glitchy. As many here have mentioned, you do occasionally get stuck while in cover, forcing a checkpoint reload. Another gripe of mine lies with the game being cinematic to a fault. Whether it be a lengthy monologue while strolling sloooowly towards your destination or a particularly long cutscene (of which there are many), the game is determined to ensure you experience every agonizing second of it, New Game + or not.

The biggest payne though is the difficulty which tends to skyrocket at various moments, leading to retries after retries after retries. I'm not opposed to a game using health items instead of a recharging bar, in fact I prefer that to the tiresome blood-splatter-color-fading screens that accompany rechargeable health. But it takes so little to put Max down that you'll be spending most of your shootouts on the ground writhing in payne than on your feet.

Despite these problems the game is fun, especially considering that it includes cheats which gives it high replay in my book. If you want a good 3rd person shooter and can find this for under $30, you won't be disappointed.
44 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2014
I received this game fast and easy from Amazon Direct Warehouse at a discounted price, around $9 new. Its an outdated game, so i wont be biased about how i rate it.

Now if you've been living in San Andreas since GTA V came out, your gonna be very nitpicky about Max Payne if youve never played it. So before you blast it and hate everything about it. Downshift, and relax. Really, kick back and relax..your about to get sucked into a really, dramatic, action movie.

This game was a sort of precursor to Grand Theft Auto V, just like L.A Noire. Rockstar was seemingly showing if thier graphical power in these games. So right if the bat, let me say the visuals are quite stunning, cut scenes look like your watching a movie. The facial features of LA Noire are somewhat dimmed down in Max Payne but the environment and gun battles are just beautiful.

Controls are similar to most shooters, you can rearrange a couple buttons and it'll feel just like GTA IV, but with slow mo and no need for car controls cuz Max Payne doesnt contribute to global warming! Anyhow, you catch on quick and easily become a pro, or so you think..

Now Gameplay, this is where it gets tricky. In the beginning, your a virtual God!! Jumping around corners in slow motion plucking of 20 enemies with like three freakin bullets and not losing a drop of blood. Okay not really but you do swear your a badass. Later on in this very overdramatic story. You become a fragile, timid little school girl hiding and helplessly searching for your painkillers and spare bullets. Max Payne will die, alot. And his Payne face gets real annoying lol. Now im not saying its an impossible game. It just gets repetitive and I tend to rage out when you die over and over when things are seemingly calm. All in all its a good game not a great one.

I want to add this. If i didn't mention it, it would bother me. Max Payne is the most talkative, overdramatic, witty guy in gaming history. He's the worste narrator ever. I mean, he's kinda funny every now and then. You get a couple chuckles here and there. But soon after your like "Okay Max, less blah blah more bang bang..." He will give you his opinion on everything and everyone. And theres no skipping it, he'll speak his mind during a freakin gun fight. I do like his sense of humor. He tells those manly ass jokes your uncle tells, you laugh cuz its awkwardly funny.

As compared to Max Payne on PS2, this game seems a bit toned down when it comes to the mysteriousness. Like i remember the creepy scenes where you'd open that door with the crying baby. Felt sorta like a horror game. This installment seems like an action movie. Im halfway through so maybe it gets a little more creepy or something. But right now its very predictable.

If your just looking for a cheaply priced game with alot of action and gory gun wounds. And you dont want to play army games cuz your sick of them. Get Max Payne. Heck, get Max Payne if you want a playable, big budget looking, bad acting having, action movie. Its well worth $12 but pay any more than that and youll be disappointed. Great for killing a little time.

Who doesnt want to be a immortal pill poppin liquor chugging depressed ex cop who caps folks in slow mo, and does a damn fine job of it all.. I know i Do.
on May 16, 2012
I was so incredibly excited for this game, and was hoping that it would live up to its hype. Trust me, it will exceed your expectations and beyond. It has the feel of the original Max Payne, with obviously updated stellar graphics.

STORY - not much has changed for Max in nine years. He's an alcoholic and frequently finds himself in against all-odds situations, still deeply traumatized by his wife's death. He starts out as a bodyguard for rich people, and then ends up in a much more sinister plot. And Max is a mixed bag - you'll never know what he's going to do next.

GRAPHICS - this game doesn't have the BEST, but is in the top-tier when it comes to graphics. The ambience is very moody and gritty, and the gameplay is so awesome that it's one of those things where you can barely tell it switches from cutscene to you playing. You won't be disappointed in this department.

The game is very stylish. It seems very glamorous, especially when starting out at a ritzy Brazilian nightclub. Even though it may seem obnoxious to some, it's rather cool and you'll get used to it. What I mean by stylish is lots of flashing words, changing viewpoints, loud music, etc.

SOUND/VOICE WORK - James McCaffrey is just the perfect Max Payne. He captures the cynicism, pain, and bitterness of Max, and he makes you feel like you're watching a movie. It's all very convincing.

GAMEPLAY - there are a lot of cutscenes, which some may find intrusive, but like the "stylish" look of the game, it's something you can get used to if you find annoying. I personally enjoy Max's story, so if you do as well, you will love it.

Choosing guns is made simple for you. You can have two side-arms or one two-handed weapon. And like we all wanted, Bullet Time and Shoot Dodge are back, and sweeter than ever. They are easy to master, but sometimes you get a little caught up in all the fray that you might forget to use them. However, when you do, it really makes the game more thrilling than ever.

They went a little old school with health re-generation; there is none. Well, if you die it comes back, but it never regenerates over time, even on easy mode. You'll love or hate this, but you can't stand behind a wall and wait for your health to regenerate. It adds to the realism of the game, but also the difficulty.

Gameplay is about 12 hours. But there are other things you can do when you beat it. You can do score challenges, speed runs, play on different modes of difficulty, and...

MULTIPLAYER - I wish there was a way the main story could have been multiplayer, but that wouldn't have been possible. Instead, you can play online with people. It's really just total chaos, but it's fun. They tried to add some narrative in there which is kind of weird, but the multiplayer mode can get a lot out of the game for you once you've finished the single player storyline.

This is definitely a home-run and I would recommend this to anyone who wants to shoot lots of people, feel and watch Max Payne's plight, and have a gaming experience of a lifetime.
on September 10, 2015
Okay, this is not a COD or Battlefield type game. It's more on the level with Uncharted, minus the acrobatics and puzzles. It's a fun game, with decent graphics and a pretty good storyline. The gun play is like other Max Payne games and there is a multitude of guns in the game to keep things fun. One drawback would be that it does get a little repetitive. Yes, the settings are different, but the scenarios are almost all the same. You have to shoot a bunch of bad guys. But! If you want a game where you can jump right into and do some shooting without too much thought (which I do), it's hard to pass this game by. Especially at such a low price point.
on January 14, 2014
I think the best part of the first two Max Payne games was the noir setting. That's gone.

The mechanics were updated, so there's that.

The one liners are there, but not as good as the first two.

Disappointed. Fun enough to play. Still want the noir back. Just felt too generic.