4.0 out of 5 stars Old School Max Payne meets modern gameplay
I have played the original two Max Payne games. This is not more of the same. But, it does keep enough flavor of the original games that fans of the originals can get something out of it and enjoy the world and story. The slow mo bullet time never gets old (even after all these years).

The locales are well-realized (from Brazilian favela's, to corporate...
Published 18 months ago by juan gonzalez

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright I guess, but too "shooting gallery"
Looks good and runs well on the pc, but its very shooting gallery. Console games are always like this - no feeling of strategy or meaning, just shoot a bunch of guys with very slightly different guns.

Got about halfway through and got bored
Published 14 months ago by C. Lauer

4.0 out of 5 stars Old School Max Payne meets modern gameplay, July 29, 2013
This review is from: Max Payne 3 [Online Game Code] (Software Download)

The locales are well-realized (from Brazilian favela's, to corporate office buildings, to fancy yachts). I have always enjoyed Max;s hard-boiled, fatalistic narrative. Since Rockstar is the publisher, the production value is high and the music is great.

The gameplay is adequate if you are into the story. Otherwise, the game does suffer from occasional repetitive gameplay and sometimes gimmicks.

Finally, maybe I didn't play the game the way the developer's intended, but I found myself using Slow-mo dive shooting a whole lot more than crouching behind cover.

Again, if you are a fan of the Max Payne series, or have heard about it and want some of that in a modern game, this is a recommended buy. I see the game regularly discounted, so at a reduced price this is definitely a buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright I guess, but too "shooting gallery", December 3, 2013

Got about halfway through and got bored

4.0 out of 5 stars Rockstar delivers!, August 27, 2013
This review is from: Max Payne 3 [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I never doubted a Rockstar game on its surface, but after the question port of GTA4 to pc I was ready to be disappointed, but that feeling never came.

Gameplay features a third person view, a variety of guns (of which you're only limited to 2 at a time) and the series staple 'bullettime'. I enjoyed the camera angle (which I commend for allowing the player to switch from left shoulder view to the right side with a button press, too many 3rd person shooter don't allow that and I hate that). Gunplay is fun, but a tad stale. Once you've shot a virtual Ak you've shot them all. I also very rarely used the bullet time, I found it a tad frustrating to aim whilst in mid-air.

Storywise it does a great job wrapping up the 10+ year legacy of Max Payne games, and for those they haven't played a game in the franchise before you won't feel lost. The narrative fills in the player on past events very well, and stands on its own merits just fine.

Visually the game is impressive and very detailed. Just looking around Max's apartment for the first time you can see the care and time that went into its creation.

I would highly recommend this to any fan of shooters,story lovers, or Max Payne follower.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would be a "shayme" to not try Max Payne!, February 11, 2013
Stephen Staver (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Max Payne 3 [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
This game is very much unlike most games I've played.
It feels more like an interactive movie, than a regular game, to me.
That's not a bad thing, in this case. There's plenty of hands-on action to keep pulling you into the twisted world of lies, deceit, drugs, and murder, that is Max's world.

This is a guy who has been through a lot. And it seems like he just can't catch a break, when the world around him seems to just continue to crumble away, not knowing who to trust.

Fantastic story, lots of replayability, gorgeous graphics, movie-quality cutscenes and voice work.
I also appreciated the ability to replay sections of the game, since I died.... a lot.
But it doesn't make you feel bad about dying. (I guess, maybe it depends on what difficulty you're playing on. I played more toward a normal, casual difficulty. Call me a lame-o.)

If you're looking for something fresh and exciting, check this out.

3.0 out of 5 stars so I like them), and the gameplay is definitely different, January 12, 2015
This review is from: Max Payne 3 [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I was a big fan of MP and MP2 when they came out years ago.
I had been looking forward playing the 3rd opus... quite deceiving!
It is somewhat easier, and the bullet time really lost it's original charm.
I realized afterwards that the license had been picked up by rockstar (I used to play the GTAs, so I like them), and the gameplay is definitely different, more like GTA. The game is more like a movie, but I guess rockstar's developer are less "deranged" than the original MP developers, which far lessen the awesomeness factor of the game...

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 14, 2014
grat game !

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this game, July 7, 2014
This review is from: Max Payne 3 [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Enjoyed this game, as a first person shooter. Only the drawback of this game are loads ofcutscenes...
As a gaming experience 4/5

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this game, June 24, 2014
This review is from: Max Payne 3 [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Despite the negative reviews, I feel the Max Payne 3 successfully delivered a great story, visuals, gameplay, bullettime, graphics, etc...

3.0 out of 5 stars Tough Game when I was able to play it, but lousy customer support, May 23, 2014
This review is from: Max Payne 3 [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I loved Max Payne 1 and 2. I still play them today. When I was able to play Max Payne 3, I found it challenging; even on the Easy setting.

I would have given this review 5 stars if it weren't for Rockstar Games technical support. I purchased Max Payne 3 through Amazon with activation on Steam. But I couldn't play the game until I joined the Rockstar Social Club. The first day that I played the game, everything went fine. However, each day after that, the Rockstar Social Club would not accept my login credentials and I had to contact customer service.

Then two things happened:
1) A major upgrade to Max Payne 3 occurred which prevented me from starting the game, let alone playing it.
2) I had a system crash on my Windows XP PC and I had to rebuild it.

When I built the new PC, all of my Steam games carried over except Max Payne 3. Rockstar Games REFUSED to port the game over to the new PC even though I had a legitimate license. We went back and forth on this issue for more than 6 months.

Eventually, I gave up. I was so angry at Rockstar Games that I vowed never to purchase any more of their games. Recently, I made the mistake of buying LA Noire before I realized that it was a Rockstar game. I have not installed it yet and probably will not.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crash and Burn, March 25, 2014
This review is from: Max Payne 3 [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Waste of money this game locks up my system every time, this program is full of bugs.
No recourse from either Amazon or RockStar games, spend your money elsewhere.

Max Payne 3 [Online Game Code]