Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on November 14, 2007
Wonderful DVD that focuses on something so central to our existence and quality of life. I was introduced to pranayama breathing through yoga, but clearly, not to this extent. Max Strom does a thorough job detailing the benefits of proper breathing, providing helpful practice sessions, and offering thought-provoking insight that guides one to a new perception.

I've watched parts of this video repeatedly already, and I get something each time. It's educational (amazing how much I didn't realize about something so elemental as breathing), and it's a great reminder that we all possess this ability, this inherent tool, when harnessed properly, that can be so impactful to our relationships and the way we live with one another. Breathing [properly] should not be overlooked or taken for granted, and neither should this DVD.
on October 31, 2007
I've been doing yoga for several years and have never gotten the full grasp of what Ujjayi breathing was. I also have asthma and have always struggled to get full breaths. I watched and did the breathing exercises in this dvd the other night and was AMAZED at the difference in my breathing the next morning in my yoga practice. I finally was able to breath with the same sounds I've heard for so long on dvds and in class.

I have continued to practice the breathing here and there while driving the car, going through my daily activities and feel so refreshed and in command of my breathing. I highly recommend this!
on February 14, 2008
Beautiful. Inspiring. Life Changing.
Mr. Strom's latest DVD is another example of his profound and accessible style of teaching. I write this review out of deep respect for his work.
If you are looking for tools to lift your health and well being to another level you found a good one.
Whether you decide to integrate the breath work taught on this DVD into your yoga practice or into your daily life, you will notice tremendous changes. Expansion, deep peace and happiness are just some of the side effects you might experience.
As someone who has taken many of Mr. Strom's workshops and as the manager of a large yoga center in the San Francisco Bay Area I do recommend his teachings highly and on a daily basis. It is an honor to spread the word about the gifts he brings into this world. He is a heart-centered, intelligent, and innovative teacher. Someone you trust from the bottom of your heart. Check his website [...] - if you ever have the opportunity to experience him in person, don't let it pass. He teaches around the world and yet, he remains humble, sweet, and accessible. You will love him.
on February 9, 2008
I have had allergy based asthma for over 40 years. As a 9 year old child I was at a residential asthma center in Colorado while my family continued to live in Missouri. The asthma center is the first place that taught me how to breath to facilitate the opening of the bronchials and to increase the capacity of the lungs. After traditional and alternative medicine as well as a lot of work within myself, my asthma is almost gone. I continue to look within myself as well as for excercises, meditations etc. that will facilitate the release of the remaining asthma.

Max Strom's Learn to Breathe DVD has provided me with what I believe is one of the final pieces in my quest for an asthma free life. I enjoy all of the excercises. My personal favorite is what I call the 3 minute breath in which one breaths as slowly as possible for 3 minutes. At the end of the 3 minutes you note how many breaths you have taken (an inhale and exhale count as one breath). It is still amazing to me the watch the process and the progress that happens with this simple excercise.

In addition to the excercises I appreciate Max's explanation of how our busy lives affect our breathing.

My only wish is that it was possible to do all of the breathing lessions consecutively without stopping between each one.

Buy this breath DVD as it will change your life (asthma or not).
on December 20, 2008
Having practiced yoga over 3 decades, and qi gong the past 6 years, I own wide collection of yoga practice videos. Max Strom's "Learn to Breathe" is far and away unique from the rest. The video is beautifully done, and the practice is deceptively easy to do, yet the results are phenomenal. Following Max's breathing practice I better handle whatever comes my way thruout my day. Do yourself a favor and buy this DVD. You won't be disappointed.
on March 25, 2013
perhaps ok for total beginners to the importance of breathing

but no real pranayama - none !

First a lot of really basic talk ... then,

just 5 simple exercises repeated over and over by 4 women and one guy all dressed in white trying to keep expressionless faces, as the camera zooms in on seemingly a more attractive female,
while Max (off camera) tells them over and over to make sure their palms are still facing up, unbelievable.

For real in depth serious information on pranayama

these are excellent books

Gregor Maehle Pranayama Breath Of Yoga

Paperback: 338 pages
Publisher: Kaivalya Publications (June 11, 2012)
ISBN-10: 0977512622
ISBN-13: 978-0977512621
--------------

Light on Pranayama: The Yogic Art of Breathing by B. K. S. Iyengar
---------------------------
Prana And Pranayama [Paperback]
Swami Niranjanananda Saraswati (Author)
Paperback: 362 pages
Publisher: Bihar School Of Yoga/Yoga Publications Trust/Munger; 1st edition (January 1, 2010)
ISBN-10: 8186336796
ISBN-13: 978-8186336793
===========================

also good

Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha/2008 Fourth Revised Edition [Paperback]
Swami Satyananda Saraswati (Author)

Paperback: 544 pages
Publisher: Bihar School of Yoga/Munger/India; 4th/17th reprint edition (August 1, 2008)
ISBN-10: 8186336141
ISBN-13: 978-8186336144
-------------------------------------------
Pranayama: The Yoga of Breathing [Import] [Paperback]
Andre van Lysbeth (Author)

Paperback: 231 pages
Publisher: Harmony Publishing (2007)
ISBN-10: 0955241235
ISBN-13: 978-0955241239
------------------------------------------

good audio

Yoga Breathing [Audiobook, Unabridged] [Audio Cd]
Richard Freeman (Author)
Audio CD
Publisher: Sounds True, Incorporated; Unabridged edition (July 2002)
ISBN-10: 156455984X
ISBN-13: 978-1564559845
----------------------------------------------------
if you want video
lots of free video avaiable on YouTube
as well as better DVDs are available
-----------------------------------------
want to understand more than just being told to sit up straight by Max?
then this lady is it

Anatomy of Breathing [Paperback]
Blandine Calais-Germain (Author)
Paperback: 232 pages
Publisher: Eastland Press; 1 edition (December 4, 2006)
ISBN-10: 0939616556
ISBN-13: 978-0939616558

-----------------------------------------------

a non yoga approach

Conscious Breathing: Breathwork for Health, Stress Release, and Personal Mastery [Paperback]
Gay Hendricks (Author)

------------
also author Dennis Lewis
77 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2014
What a breakthrough - as a PTSD survivor, I finally came to the realization that a lifetime's worth of trauma resulted in a lifetime's worth of nervous, shallow breathing. It's been keeping my nervous system in varying degrees of "fight-or-flight" hypervigilence, which is extremely detrimental to physical and mental health.

Remaining locked in that toxic style of breathing keeps me in a perpetual state of fear. Nervous/shallow breathing was actually affecting my ability to relax, enjoy my life and relate to others effectively (how can I if my body's locked in fear as an innate protective measure?)

Max Strom's "Learn To Breathe" provides extremely helpful exercises to actually retrain myself from that automatic breathing pattern. It is a MUST for Trauma/PTSD/Domestic Violence/Rape/Depression survivors.

The exercises look deceptively simple, but actually are not - they are skills that survivors must use on a daily basis to avoid slipping back into unhealthy breathing patterns. I also highly recommend Strom's books "A Life Worth Breathing" and "There Is No App For Happiness".

To every survivor out there...please know that you really deserve to take care of yourself and end the defensive breathing patterns that are keeping you in a perpetual state of unease/fear/nervousness/depression. Incorporating these daily breathing exercises will change the quality of your life. You deserve to take every breath in peace, not fear.
on December 26, 2007
Max Strom is a wonderful teacher... the breathing techniques taught in this DVD are very calming, which was my main goal to achieve. My only wish is that the DVD was longer. I recommend this item to those who are intersted in using breathing techniques to calm the mind and body... but I also recommend buying it on sale for less than $15.
on October 26, 2011
I purchased this DVD awhile ago and didn't get around to viewing it until now. My intuition has been leading me to more breathwork lately so I am interested in breathing/pranayama techniques. I don't believe in complicated and frankly if it is too complicated I probably won't use it. Max Strom is commanding in an easy, peaceful manner. I saw a clip of this DVD on YouTube so you can view a sample there before purchasing. Strom demonstrates his breathing techniques and explains them well and since it is easy to do you won't be struggling with it. His techniques seem to be based partially on Qi Gong/martial arts techniques or stances. There is a group demonstrating the breathing techniques you can practice with on the DVD and the setting is pleasant and peaceful. He doesn't do belly breathing, it is lung breathing and expansion which he explains helps release emotions and tension, the chest areas being the "shield" that prevents us from opening emotionally/spiritually. He explains the benefits of breathing techniques and his is manner is gracious so he makes you want to try the techniques. I found his ocean breath so easy and relaxing I do it for a few minutes when I take breaks during the day. Recommended!
on February 15, 2008
Max Strom is a gifted teacher who in his new DVD exposes us to different forms of breathwork, or pranayama. Pranayama is a tool that has been used for thousands of years to calm the body and mind or achieve sprirtual transformation. This DVD is simple to use and easy to understand. Max has a calm, gentle energy that ties the whole DVD together. Highly recomended.