5.0 out of 5 stars MaxScan VAG Diagnostic Scanner
I own a 2001 Passat, November 2011 the display on the dash read out: STOP... ABS FAILURE! This freaked out my wife so we took it in to the dealer and they looked into it. They reset the fault and wiggled a few connectors to the tune of $150.00. The scan alone was the first $100.00. My assumption is that they already knew what the problem was before they even plugged...
Published on March 15, 2012 by Russell W. Day

1.0 out of 5 stars Non CAN-BUS, Doesn't Work On Newer VW's
I'm new to VW and euro cars as I've mostly owned Japanese sports cars. While this device and the other cheaper scanners on Amazon are CAN compliant, they are not CAN-BUS compliant. According to ECU Tuning, VW/Audi changed the ODBC2 from CAN to CAN-BUS on 2005 models; I have a 2013 Golf R. Might want to watch this video for help.
[...]

This did power up...
Published 21 months ago by J. King

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding tool!!, July 7, 2012
This review is from: Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi (Automotive)
If you own a Volkswagen and are at least marginally mechanically inclined - BUY THIS SCANNER!
I bought a 2000 beetle for my daughter with the airbag light on. The previous owner had taken it to a mechanic who tore apart the dash to get to the module so he could get the numbers off it, only to discover his machine couldn't read it. Guy spent a $100 and got nowhere! That dropped $500 off what I paid for the car! The dealer charges $100 to read the codes here in San Diego. The codes are not accessible with a regular regular OBDII reader - which means Autozone can't help!
I ordered this scanner and hooked it up to the car. Scanned the airbag system, the code read intermittent connection in instrument cluster. Cleared the code, air bag light is gone (with the light on, the system is DISABLED!), two months later, no light has reappeared. I guess the mechanic fixed it but couldn't tell that he had!
BTW, with the airbag light on, it's an automatic fail for the California emissions cert.
Since buying the beetle it has been stalling every now and then at stop signs. Plugged in the scanner to pull the engine codes: 1. Bank 1 lean; 2. MAF sensor low input. Did some reading on the VW threads, people having the same problem, stalling, check the air filter! That goes along with the codes!
Open the air filter housing to find a yellow, stained and HARD filter! Put in a new air filter and the car drives TONS better!
So, Dealer diagnose = $100
Dealer replace filter = 1hr = $100
Dealer part = $45 (autozone = $11.99)

Do the math, $245 or about $70 and I get to keep the scanner

This machine has paid for itself 10 times over!

Buy it, use it, read the Volkswagen forums and save yourself money, time and frustration!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Paid for itself!!!, May 6, 2014
I took my car to the local Audi stealer (Circle Audi Long Beach) that tried to charge me $150.00 to read my SRS code. They came back with an estimate of over $2K for driver seat sensors, SRS actuators and a rear seat belt! Mind you this was on a 2006 Audi A4, so I had to question their troubleshooting skills. All they had to say was that they diagnosed the code given and the parts and labor to correct such codes. I ran out of there and ordered the Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi. I also went digging into the Audi forums where I found that these cars were known for having an issue with the yellow SRS plug under the seat. Sure enough, I was able to clean the plug, re-plug it and reset the SRS light using the Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi. The next day I went back to the stealer to get my $150.00 back for shady business practices. Let's just say I got my money back real quick.

5.0 out of 5 stars VAG 405 Scanner, October 21, 2012
The airbag light on my 1999 A4 was on for more than two years. A shop had told me that it was an intermittent passenger side resistance error but did not make the repair (they said it was going to be about $1000). Using this code reader I was able to retrieve the error (same as what the shop told me) and after some internet searching found it was likely due to a loose connection under the seat. I reset the airbag light and the error has not re-occurred. It probably was a random error that has resulted in the light being on all this time (airbag light won't reset if the error goes away unlike the check engine light.

The scanner is pretty basic but I was able to retrieve the airbag as well as engine codes. It works both on my 2007 GTI and 1999 A4. The previous code reader I had only retrieved engine codes and didn't work on the GTI.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked flawlessly for VW/Audi cars, November 24, 2012
I bought this to clear the dreaded airbag light that has become an issue in many VW/Audi cars. It took about 5 minutes to clear the light and check other codes. It is pretty straight forward. Although listed for VW/Audi, the manual said that it could be used to do basic readings on other makes, but didn't work on them.

5.0 out of 5 stars does the job, January 8, 2013
This scanner works well on my 2003 Audi A4 1.8T. It comes in a nylon case to keep it from getting scratched or dirty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as Good as a scanner 20x as Much $$$., September 10, 2012
At first I was a bit leery because of price, got it next day saver UPS and Has way more than tells you. Does almost everything my Snapon Solus does. For someone who want a small scanner for Audi/VW this thing is it. For the Price absolutely worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked beautifully on my 2003 VW New Beetle's airbag light, March 9, 2014
My 2003 VW New Beetle's airbag light on the instrument cluster lit up to indicate a malfunction somewhere in the system, so I took it to my local VW dealership's service department to have them diagnose the issue. I was told the driver's-side seatbelt receptacle had developed a fault, which is apparently a rather common problem with that model of VW. I was charged $65 for the diagnosis and was told that I wouldn't get much change from four one-hundred-dollar bills to get the problem fixed, which is where the HotMax scanner comes into the story.

I purchased a new OEM belt receptacle from a popular internet auction site for about half of what the dealer was asking. During my research I read on an online forum that one has to use a VAG (Volkswagen Audi Group) scanner to turn off the dash light once I'd replaced the defective part- the light will not turn itself off without a VW scanner/code reader even after you've got the new part correctly installed. I have an Auto X-Ray scanner already, but it unfortunately won't turn off airbag lights on this or any other car, so I hopped onto Amazon.com to find a reasonably-priced VW-compatible code reader and came across this item.

The tool arrived within a couple of days and was well-packaged. It seems to be rather stout in construction and features a large backlit screen. Unfortunately the tool is not waterproof, which really shouldn't be much of an issue for most users. The tool also comes with a nice zippered nylon-like storage bag, which should give sufficient protection should you wish to store the tool in your trunk or beneath a seat. The accompanying manual is far from comprehensive, but it will give you a brief outline on how to use the tool, warnings, etc.

Replacing the belt receptacle on my car requires removing the driver's seat (I'd outline it here but there are several excellent threads on internet forums outlining the procedure.) The whole process took less than an hour; I then had to use my newly-arrived tool to turn off the dash light.

Of course you should read the Hot MaxScan's owners' manual before use, but in a nutshell all you have to do is ensure the ignition key is in the OFF position, plug the wiring harness into the reader, insert the other end of the harness into the plug below the knee bolster (on my car it's purple in color- no panels need to be removed to access it. Just use a flashlight above the pedals and you'll find it. The harness only fits one way, so it's foolproof and you needn't worry about hurting anything.)

The tool is powered from your car's diagnostic plug- no batteries are needed.

Once plugged in, your tool's screen will light up with VW and Audi emblems. Turn the ignition key to the ON position (don't start the engine- just turn the key until the warning lights illuminate.) On your tools screen, scroll down the options to 'Airbag,' and hit the 'Y' button to read the car's error code. When I did it the tool provided me with the error code but for some reason didn't have the code's description in its database. I looked up the code on an online forum and confirmed it was indeed the problem the dealer informed me it was.

To turn off the dash's airbag light, simply follow the directions on the tool's screen to erase the car's stored error code. It's very intuitive, which is a good thing because the manual is a little sketchy on this procedure. Once you get the confirmation that it's cleared, you just need to press any button to return to, for lack of a better term, the tools home page. Next, turn the ignition key back to OFF, and unplug the tool from beneath the knee bolster, grab a beverage of your choice and pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

The other options (eg- oil/service lights, emissions codes, etc) appeared to be similar in operation to the airbag option- simply a series of drop-down menus. If you can use a mobile phone, you can use this tool.

Best of all, between the price of this code reader and the self-replaced seatbelt part, I'm only out-of-pocket a grand total of $115, a far cry from the nearly $400 that I would have paid had I taken the Beetle to the VW dealership for this repair.

Of course I've only used this tool once, but it has already paid for itself. It was very easy to use, seems rugged enough for its intended purpose, comes with a nice pouch, and is reasonably priced. Better yet, the box the tool came in states it will read error codes on OBD II and EOBD (European Onboard Diagnostics) vehicles as well as several other types of automotive computer-controlled systems, so I can foresee using this tool on my family's and friends' cars when trouble inevitably arises.

Many thanks for reading my review, and best of luck with your automotive repairs. Happy motoring!

1.0 out of 5 stars Autel Maxscan VAG405 "DTC definitions not found", October 7, 2013
Promptly delivered but when I received my Maxscan VAG405 today. I went on the Autel website to register the product. The VAG405 is not offered as a product in the drop down box when I go to the “My Autel” once logged in. Can’t register the VAG405 and also see there is no software support for that model.

When I used the VAG405 on a problem 1998 Audi V6, 2.8 Cabriolet..I got an error message that said” 16806 093 KWP1280 DTC definition not found” hum..looks like the 16806 is a DTC for a P0422 main catalyst, bank 1 below threshold..pretty common code for an older Audi.

Although the device has v2.7 software..it could not retrieve the DTC code.

My inquiry to Autel by email was never acknowledged or responded to.

I returned the VAG405 with no issues.

Amazon customer service was great. The Autel technical support support is non existent.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi, April 28, 2013
I bought this to use with my 2009 Audi Q7. I have used to scan for DTCs but returns no DTCs stored even though I have TMPS error message showing the dash.
However, every ECU I tried to access came back with the message 'LINK ERROR', suggesting that the scan tool is unable to communicate with the vehicle. The product manual states that the most common reason for this that the scanned module is not supported on the vehicle. I doubt if this is the case as every single module scanned gives the same error message.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what I bought it for..., March 13, 2013
I bought this to check my air bag light on my '04 Beetle...poof, no more light. It also does CELs on other makes as well. I paid less ($47) for this device than it would have cost me ($65) to do the same thing at a local independent shop.

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›