Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 10, 2006
Was buying Sony tape at Walmart but my VCRs kept eating them (have four VCRs - two are Sony).
Purchased these Maxell and expected the same thing to happen but to my surprise they work perfectly.
Only record in SP mode since most movies are edited to fit into 2 hour time frame anyway, and the two series I record are one hour each. Extended recording results in lower picture quality, and the manuals for my VCRs state that as well.

Taped recording was excellent and nearly identical to TV broadcast quality.
Only purchase 120 minute tapes now. Other tapes I have used over the years include TDK, Fuji, Sony, and RCA.

These Maxell are better by far.

As a rule I don't "archive" anything either, but recording in SP you have the choice. If the show isn't a "keeper" I just rewind the tape and record over it.

Not sure how many rerecordings I'll get on these Maxell, but have gotten about a dozen on other tape.
VINE VOICEon January 30, 2012
I'm not quite into the 21st century - yet, it takes me awhile. I do have a DVD player and a new VCR/DVD that records on both CDs and tapes. I have used Maxell primarily since way back when, and I have never experienced any problems. Some tapes are ancient and I still use/watch them. I am so afraid that any minute now they will cease making cassette tapes, so I am buying more now. These standard tapes do a great job and are very clear.
on June 7, 2011
I have been ordering this item for over 6 months, once, sometimes twice a month. In that time, I had maybe two or three defective tapes. This last shipment, the tapes had obviously being re-packaged (poorly, I might say) and closed with mailing tape. I assumed some kind of quality control had been done. Boy, was I wrong. 4 of the 8 tapes were defective (plastic case crushed in corner, or broken lid, and in one case, tape loose and off the spool.) Our nearest post office is over 5 miles away, and so is UPS. UPS will not pick up from my residence unless I am present to hand it to them. So, the nuisance value of a return makes this just not worth it. Beware buyers... you may be buying garbage. Plus, the item description says "NEW", and in this case, it obviously was NOT TRUE!!! What a disappointment in Amazon. I have thought they were better than that.
on September 8, 2012
I was happy to get to order these tapes, because almost no one carries them any more. What I was not happy with was the fact that the packs were open when I got the package, and one of the tapes was broken. Other than that all is good.
on March 13, 2011
These tapes are excellent, good qualitiy and performance. No complaints so far.
I got other brand with a bad luck, all had some type of statict stripes atter 4 hours of recording and pood sound.
Apparently the coating was low quality.
on November 9, 2011
These tapes are excellent high quality tapes and at a good price,unbeatable! I would recommend thse tapes to anyone,especially since you can't seem to find them in your local stores anymore.
on August 5, 2013
This product was delivered in original packaging, within the scheduled delivery time.

I've used these cassettes for years, and they always perform well. But, as with any analog tapes, they do eventually stretch out and distort, requiring periodic replacement.

I use these cassettes for time-shifting and everyday recordings. There are better brands for archival recordings, but this does not concern me. Blank VHS tapes are for me a consumable product, and these do just fine for everyday recordings.
on December 30, 2011
I've ordered these VHS tapes several times from Amazon. They're excellent quality & get the job done. Good for multiple tapings. I prefer VHS over a DVR because sometimes you want to tape a special news event & keep the tape, and these are perfect for that. Great price for the quantity, definitely recommend!
on February 24, 2012
Have only used this once. Was very satisfied. It is impossible to find VCR tapes in the local stores. One store told me I'd have to buy a DVD recorder for $340 if I wanted to record shows, etc., so was happy to find the blanks on Amazon.
on February 6, 2006
This tape is terrible, at least on extra-long play into a standard TV set. I would have given it two stars because I *have* seen worse--just not recently--but since there is no way I'm buying this product again I decided one star was fair. If I have to raid an hour here, an hour there from my old tapes that's preferable to peering at this.

I don't use SP speed, because I'm not archiving TV shows. All I ask is that I be able to watch my programs with enough quality that I can see what the characters are doing.

I just bought a replacement VCR and these tapes. The picture quality (on EP) was intolerably grainy, similar to non-HDTV through an antenna. So after testing recording and playback on several brands of tape of different ages I returned my new JVC VCR and bought a Sony instead. But the new one's recordings were still very grainy. Oh no! But I took a deep breath and ran the same tests. Turns out the problem is these Maxell tapes! The Sony records acceptably well on my *old* videotapes. The quality isn't as good as my old broken RCA, but it's tolerable. --So this leaves me with the question of whether there are any affordable videotapes sold these days that are watchable?