This is the kind of device that seems pretty cool at first glance, but also seems kind of obscure: What, exactly, IS this? You get the idea it lets you expand storage of storage limited devices without standard expansion avenues, like the iPad. But how?

OK, let's cut to the quick. Here's the short summary:

This is

A) A USB thumb drive...
Published on December 19, 2011 by David Pearlman

3.0 out of 5 stars AirStash 2: now faster, smaller... and more expensive!
Published on January 19, 2012 by esanta

4.0 out of 5 stars A wireless access point built into a USB thumb drive. If you need that functionality, it's pretty cool..., December 19, 2011
This review is from: Maxell AirStash Expandable Capacity Wireless 8GB Flash Drive 8 A02 (666602) (Personal Computers)

OK, let's cut to the quick. Here's the short summary:

This is

A) A USB thumb drive (with removable SD storage; it comes with a 8 or 16Gb card, but you can use your own. You can also use a Micro SD card if you use an adaptor). Most of us are familiar with thumb drives, and when this is inserted into a USB slot, it acts like any of them. Not too exciting.

B) A wireless access point. This device has a built in battery (life about 6+ hours on full charge, and it charges when it's in a USB slot). So you can pull it out of a computer and suddenly you have a wireless access point with on-board memory. What does that mean? It means that if you have any networked device, and if that device allows you to see and browse other networked devices, you can browse the files that are on this device. It supports wireless B, G, and N. On any normal computer (or Android device), you simply enter [...] into your device's browser, and you can list/view/download/upload files on the AirStash through the resulting interface. Very easy.

So...You can take your AirStash "thumb drive", connect it to a computer, upload a bunch of videos or pictures to it, disconnect it from your computer, and then stream those videos or pictures to any local networked devices that may want to access them.

But what about those iPads with their locked down operating system that doesn't allow you to browse network devices in a standard manner? No worries: There's an app for that :-) Yes, there is an app for Apple's iOS operating system that, when installed, then allow you to browse the AirStash (assuming you're in wireless network range). You can both download and upload to the AirStash. So, for example, if you want to get pictures off your iPad, you can upload them to the AirStash, then download them from the AirStash on another computer (either wirelessly, or by plugging in the AirStash as a thumb drive).

That's about it.

Speeds are as you'd expect, depending on your network (b, g or n). The supplied memory card is "class 10", which is nice and fast. (If you use your own memory cards, your mileage will vary, of course).

It's interesting, and kind of cool (at least it's cool that they've shoved an access point + battery into this small package).

If you are using an Apple device with no memory expansion, the coolness is higher than if you're using a standard computer that already offers other options for getting files on/off. But it needs to be noted that there are also "cloud" options for uploading/downloading to your Apple device. Of course, this solution doesn't depend on ANY internet connection, and your data is presumably somewhat more secure if it stays local (set the local security!) On the other hand, you don't need to pay a significant chunk of change for most modest "cloud" solutions, and you don't need to carry another device to use those.

So it's a judgement call.

On the whole, I was impressed that this device does work, and it works well, and it works as advertised, and that so much is compressed into a sleek little package. But whether it's worth paying for that package will depend on your own needs and pocketbook...

3.0 out of 5 stars AirStash 2: now faster, smaller... and more expensive!, January 19, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I purchased the original AirStash when it first came out; $99 without bundled memory card. Maxell purchased the company and released a new version of the product that is about half the size, offers faster WiFi (802.11n instead of 802.11g) and comes bundled with a memory card. Other than the use of a better SD card slot connector, I couldn't really notice any difference between the old model and this one.

The AirStash is easy to use: plug it into your computer and it charges the internal battery and behaves as an ordinary SD card reader; power it up, and it's a WiFi access point (WEP encryption only) that multiple devices can access simultaneously. For instance, you could copy MP3 music files or MP4 videos to it from your computer, then once away from home, turn it on; connect to its WiFi network from your iPhone, iPod or iPad, browse to these files using the AirStash application, and view them. Up to three devices can access the AirStash simultaneously.

In my informal tests, a full charge lasted a little over 6 hours. You can use the AirStash and charge it at the same time provided you connect it to a charger (not a computer) and WiFi is turned on before you plug it in.

The biggest shortcoming of the AirStash is its implementation of the WiFi networking. The competing Kingston Wi-Drive offers a bridge mode which lets it connect to an available WiFi network; with the AirStash, you either connect to the AirStash or to another WiFi network, but it's impossible to see both at the same time. To be fair, the AirStash has some key advantages over the Wi-Drive: use of standard removable memory, built-in USB connector. Unfortunately, it's also considerably more expensive.
Also, the Wi-Drive software lets you copy any file to any application that supports it. For instance you can choose to open an AVI file in OPlayer or VLC (it will copy the file to that application first instead of streaming the file). As far as I can tell the AirStash software does not offer such customizable behavior.

PROS
----
* Fast 802.11n WiFi
* Uses standard SD memory cards
* Small, self-contained design: no cords to lose
* Long battery life

CONS
----
* Expensive
* No bridge mode: the AirStash can't join an existing network so once you connect to it you're no longer connected to the rest of the world
* No support for opening a file in a specific application (added in subsequent iOS client release)

CONCLUSION
----------
The AirStash is a good quality but pricey device with significant limitations. As long as you're OK with the shortcomings and the price, there is a lot to be said about the attractive form factor and the SD card slot. I still think Maxell needs to work on the firmware and significantly reduce the price to keep the AirStash attractive.
[EDIT]
The latest iOS application released in May 2012 introduces the capability to open a file in a specific application (long press)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great accessory for iPhone and iPad, December 14, 2011
My AirStash A02 arrived today and after a quick charge was ready to use. I updated the firmware to the latest version before loading anything onto the included 16 GB SDHC card. While looking at the few settings, I changed it's WiFi network name to something other than it's default. It's currently set for open access but I'll set a password when I'm finished exploring what all it can do.

I've loaded a few .mp3, .mpa, .mp4 and .jpeg files on the card. Using the AirStash app, Safari and Atomic Web on the iPhone 4S and iPad 2, I was able to smoothly and quickly play/view all of these files. I haven't loaded any iWork files on the AirStash yet, but will try that soon. I have a Numbers spreadsheet that tracks the fuel economy of my Honda CR-Z that has an embedded graph, so that should be a good little test. Accessing the AirStash with my iPhone and iPad simultaneously worked perfectly. A .mp4 video played perfectly on the iPhone while a .mp3 played flawlessly on the iPad.

The IOS AirStash app is simple to use, presenting you with a list of files/folders. Audio, video and photo files open in the app for viewing and listening. You can also connect to the AirStash without using the app. Simply open your browser and go to airstash.net. The web page will be similar to the AirStash app. Regardless of how you access the AirStash, you must be connected to its WiFi network.

I'm looking forward to using the AirStash as an easy way to do the following:
1) provide additional storage for my iPhone and iPad.
2) access that storage while out of range of either WiFi or cellular services.
3) allow others to simultaneously view my files.

So far, I'm thrilled with the AirStash A02! It performs as advertised and is very simple and easy to use. As always, my Amazon order and UPS delivery were completed perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best invention since sliced bread!, March 24, 2012
S. Romeo "romeosc" (Memphis, Tn United States) - See all my reviews
Best way to get unlimited storage on iPhone/iPad or any wifi capable device!

The Airstash+ is the greatest addition to any IOS device owners arsenal. When I purchased the new iPad 3, I realized that after syncing my existing iPhoto from my Macbook, the amount of storage used was vastly increased. Because of the retina display, iPhoto increased the size of the transfer to take advantage of the new resolution. I was glad I got the 64 GB version, but realized I would need to better manage my photo storage on the iPad. Should I only carry the most recent photos or some other method of selecting which photos to sync?

As a typical hoarder (collector), I found another option. I had recently read about a new product called AirStash+, a solution waiting for a problem. This device does what Apple denies you the ability to do..... increase storage on IOS Devices and copy items both ways!!!

It used to be available without a SD card for $99, but the improved version is now available with an 8 GB card for $140 on Amazon. (16GB also available)

This small rechargeable battery device about the size of a pack of gum creates a wifi network that shares everything on a SD card with any b/g/n wifi capable device 802.11 using html browsers. SD and SDHC cards(FAT formatted) up to 32GB can be used. SDXC cards are currently supported when formatted in FAT32 format. These cards range from 64GB to 2TB.

No need to jailbreak iPhone or iPad to read or write to the inserted SD card. The IOS app enables read and write as well as allowing you to watch movies, view jpeg files, play mp3s, mp4s, open pdfs, iWork files (Numbers, Pages, Keynote) without skipping a beat! And up to 8 people can use the Airstash+ at same time! Each person could watch a different movie, play a mp3 or view a jpeg all wirelessly within 20 foot radius.

Using the AirStash IOS app, you connect to the device and start adding and removing files. You can charge using any USB port and it shows up as a storage device when plugged into a computer. The Airstash allows you to stream large movie files and documents directly from the device, freeing up space on your iPhone or iPad -- a boon for those who may want to watch movies or store PDFs or documents for viewing on the go. The Airstash lasts seven hours on one charge.

I always wanted to back up my pictures on vacation without a computer. I have always been able to import the pictures from my SD cards onto my iPad using Apple's Camera Connection Kit, but I couldn't back up the photos on the iPad or iPhone without internet access. With the AirStash+, I can copy the files to and from an SD card ...... thus backing up while traveling!
The AirStash app is constantly being updated.

Since purchasing my AirStash, there have been 2 free updates ! They keep improving the firmware. It is accomplished by an easy download process. You copy the downloaded update to the AirStash and then click eject on your mac to install update. After it quits blinking, you can unplug it. I inserted a 32 GB SD card into the AirStash+ and plugged the usb into my mac like a normal usb thumb drive. I then copied all my pictures and many other files I wanted to have available when I travel!

After ejecting the drive from computer, I pressed the power swith on the Airstash and the light blinked telling me it was on. I then changed my wifi network on my iPad to select the AirStash network and presto I am connected. I could use Safari or any other browser to goto [...] or for better performance and additional functions run the free AirStash+ IOS app, I downloaded from Apple's App Store. This enabled me to run or copy any file on my SD card!

I also was able to save files from any program that supports WebDav! (Pages, Keynote, iPhoto, Numbers, GoodReader, iFiles, PDF Pro, Air Sharing, RiddleDocs.

It is like we now have unlimited storage in & out of your IOS device!

Links to instructions on how to copy form iPad Programs to Airstash

Pages: [...]
GoodReader: [...]
ReaddleDocs: [...]
PDF Expert: [...]
Air Sharing: [...]

GREAT ONLINE HELP TOO!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad....., April 24, 2012
Anthony (GREENVILLE, SC, United States) - See all my reviews
I'm currently using the with a 32GB microSD card inside an adapter since it takes an SD card.

So far I have tested it using 1080p rips I have taken from blu-ray discs. It works on the following devices that I have:

1) iPad 3
2) iPhone 4s
3) Lenovo Laptop

It doesn't not work reliably on the following devices (for movies):

1) Acer Iconia A500 (HC 4.0.1)
2) HTC Droid Incredible (GB 2.3.4).
3) Kindle Fire

I have been able to stream 3 1080p rips at the same time on iOS devices, each being movies of about 2GB in size.

I have also tested it with MP3 rips I have taken from my CD collection. They work as well.

I have it to load to loading PDFs and pictures from this device. I use Goodreader, Pages, and Keynote on the iPad and using the WebDAV protocal, I can open and save files to the Air Stash.

I'm deducting one star because this is supposed to work with Android too, but all of my testing shows that eventually movies will stop playing.

The battery life and range seem to be very good. You can use this for movies while it is connected to wall-powered USB plug.

This device is a slightly oversized USB stick. But it is basically tiny...no need to worry about a spinning hard drive or trying to power it. No need to have a special power adapter for it as long as you have a typical USB-based wall charger which you need for other devices. I really like its size and the convenience it offers when traveling. It takes up very little room and add minimal weight. It is a good road warrior device. You can use it to trade files with laptop users, too.

Supposedly this device uses SDXC cards in capacities from 64GB to 2 TB (I have not seen any larger than 128GB). I have an 128 GB SDXC card on order and will report back my experiences.

I really like this little thing. For you are an iOS user, then this is probably a top choice, unless you don't mind hauling around the comparatively bulky Goflex Satellite (and many people won't). Since I travel with a laptop (sometimes), tablet, and phone, I have no room for a Goflex.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great way to save memory space on your ipad, July 30, 2012
Pros: As a wireless media server, the AirStash is almost perfect. Almost. It's tiny, it charges via USB, lasts hours, allows multiple users to access it at once, and takes relatively inexpensive SDHC cards, effectively making the capacity unlimitedly expandable. This frees up tons of space on my iPad. With the cost of large SDHC cards dropping fast, it's very cool to have several 64GB cards filled with movies, each card as large as my ipad's entire available storage. Using the free App from the Apple App Store, the device streams full HD movies smoothly and effectively, with no stuttering, and almost no time wasted buffering.

Cons: The main con for me is the archaic file structure the device uses, FAT32. Ostensibly it's to remain compatible with digital still cameras, but in effect it handicaps the device. With this file structure, no individual file can exceed 4GB. While that's hardly a problem for stills, music, and even SD features, many HD feature films exceed this file size. Compressing the movie to 4GB or under not only sacrifices some of the quality, but also is a time consuming, frustrating process. It would be great to have an upgrade that allows larger file sizes for today's media.

The other major con is that there is no bridge mode, meaning you cannot connect to the internet while streaming from the device. While not the end of the world, it is a bit of a pain on the ipad to have to go to Settings, wait for the available WiFi networks to load, and select it. It's not that big of a deal, because if I'm watching a movie, I'm probably not surfing the net. But still, I do find it frustrating.

Another con is how much they're charging you for the SDHC cards. There's no point in spending the $30 difference in list prices between the two models for an 8GB difference in SDHC size. It would be much better to offer this with no cards at all, and save the customer the money.

Overall, the pro's far outweigh the con's. Looking forward to seeing if some of these improvements can be made with a firmware update, as opposed to having to purchase a new unit...

4.0 out of 5 stars iStorage, April 20, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Anyone who doesn't own an iPod or iPad probably won't see the utility of this device. However, for those who know the limitations of a 16GB iDevice, this can come in very handy to extend your storage.

One caveat is that given the cost of the Airstash at the time of writing, if you haven't yet taken the iPlunge, it might be better to go with the 64GB iPad 3 or 2 in the first place. However, if you already own the 16GB, then getting this device becomes an economical option.

The tech specs are covered in the product description, so below are some of my observations based on my experiences using the Airstash with an iPad 2.

Once the Airstash is powered up (by holding down the power button until the green indicator light turns on, then releasing it to see the light flash rapidly three times), you can connect your device to it wirelessly. However, in order to take full advantage of the Airstash, you will need to install the Airstash+ app which you can download from the Apple AppStore for free. This app allows you to access the files that you have copied to the Airstash. Alternatively, you can use a browser and browse to airstash.net for the same functionality.

While it may look like a flash drive on steroids, and works in a similar fashion when you plug it into your computer's USB port, I found it was not as straight-forward a matter when being used to save files. Accessing the files you have placed there is simple enough, but in order to save stuff to it using your iPad/iPod, your app needs to be WebDAV compatible. The Quick Start Guide supplied with the device briefly mentions that once connected you `launch the WebDAV compatible app of your choice'.

Now, if you're like me, then you probably have no idea what this means. What I've discovered is that WebDAV is some kind of `format/protocol' that allows you to save your files to the Airstash. The problem is, not all apps are WebDAV compatible. Apple's Pages, Numbers and Keynote are, but QuickOffice isn't. So if you're a Microsoft Office user like I am, accustomed to QuickOffice, then this device might not be for you. You can read your Office files from the Airstash, but you wouldn't be able to edit them and save them back to the device.

Other observations...

Without installing additional software/apps, mp4 (movie) files on the Airstash played easily on my iPad, but not avi files. (I didn't try digital movies but the product description says that you can play movies loaded on it on your device.)

I couldn't figure out how to save stuff directly onto it that I had downloaded to my iPad, like apps, attachments, books, etc. Maybe there is an easier way, but I had to sync my iPad with my computer first, then copy the files over to the Airstash from the computer.

The iPad could open epub books (in iBooks) and pdf files saved on the Airstash. Presumably there shouldn't be any problems with music and photo files, but I didn't test these either.

It took about 8 minutes to transfer 366MB from my (old) laptop to the Airstash using USB 1.0. With newer computers this should be faster.

Some pros, some cons - consider this is you have an iDevice that needs more storage space.

Amanda Richards April 20, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily and Conveniently Connects your iDevices to your Existing PCs, April 19, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The AirStash Wireless Flash Drive combines the functionality of a SD memory card with a battery-driven wireless access point. This allows you to copy or even stream content between the Airstash and any other network-connected device. I've been using it for our family's iPads and iPhones and it's worked very well. Streaming capabilities particularly surprised me in terms of the great performance. All in all, it's pricey, but for families or business users who want to be able to share content quickly and conveniently to a variety of devices/platforms, the AirStash is a great option.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great accessory for iPhone and iPad users, April 18, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This has proven to be a great accessory for my iPhone and iPad. It's useful for a backup between devices, and it comes with a handy app for an easy way to browse through it. It works well for streaming movies, as well as sharing documents between your different devices. It took me a little while to get the hang of using it, but it's quite useful, and I would recommend it for all you iPhone and iPad users out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars AirStash Flash Drive, February 18, 2013
This is a pretty neat way of putting data on your iPad, iPhone or Android Pads and Phones including the KindleFire series. Its fairly expensive but I purchase a used one from Amazon which works just as advertised. I already have a WI-Drive that has 32 GB or storage space which works great also but even though it is small in size its much larger and bulkier than the AirStash and the price is similar. The advantage to the AirStash is that you can replace the existing memory card with any larger SD memory card. Once you get beyond 32 GB SD card you have to go to SDXC cards which cover 64GB and up supposedly into the Terabyte range.