5.0 out of 5 stars Important instructions in this review
I don't normally write reviews, although I read a lot of them and find them useful. So I'm writing this just because i read the bad reviews for this product and almost bought the more expensive ones; but decided on this one to save some money. My worry was that to save a few bucks I was risking breaking a tape or a VCR per the other review's comments.

I am...
Published on January 23, 2011 by Markm

2.0 out of 5 stars Very low quality
I bought this adapter for my vhs-c tapes. When I check it I found that the adapter parts don't fit properly. I tried it just a few minuts I found that tape in adapter goes by diagonal. So in the play mode it damages one tape edge in the rewind mode it damages the other edge. I retuned it to store and bought the PV-P1 adapter from Panasonic. It worked fine.
Published on November 8, 2005 by Alex

5.0 out of 5 stars Important instructions in this review, January 23, 2011
This review is from: Maxell Cassette VHS-C Adapter (290060) (Electronics)

I am pretty sure the reason they had problems is they didn't use it properly. The instructions are pretty bad, and if you don't use it right it will break a tape and/or mess up your VCR. So here is the way to use it;

the instructions just say open the cover, put in the tape, and close the cover; but its a lot more than that.

1. open the cover, and you'll see two posts sticking up that are spring loaded. It is very important you don't do what I did, which was figure those go in front of the tape, so I pushed them open and dropped the tape so the posts were on the outside of the tape. After experimenting and seeing how they work, I realized those posts go inside the tape, so just put the tape in without moving the posts.

2. and when you put the tape in, be sure the front flap of your VHSC tape pops all the way open. The first time I put in the tape I didn't push it all the way down, and the flap didn't even open at all. Don't force it, but when the tape engages the gear, the flap pops open. The gears are plastic, so fiddle with it, don't force it.

3. Now here is where you can break the tape; the instructions say "close the cover" which is right, but they don't mention that by closing the cover you are actually doing something else; the cover has a gear built into it, as the cover closes those two posts that are inside the tape push forward and out, spreading the tape out and pushing it to the front of the Adapater Cassette. This is how the tape is pulled out of your VHSC and held out so when the tape goes in the VCR it touches the VCR Head. When you slide the cover forward do it slowly, sort of back and forth, with light pressure. If you force it, it will snap your tape!

if you do all this, I think you'll find this adapater is excellent, and will save you a bunch of money over the other ones that are double price, but probably have better instructions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Check your tape before ordering!, April 28, 2011
If you are going to order this adapter, BE SURE you DO NOT have an 8mm cassette because this does NOT work with them. I stupidly ordered it without checking and cannot use it for the purpose that I originally bought it, but I can use it with a few others that I have so it wasn't a complete waste of time! :) It was my fault for not checking but I guess I needed it anyway! I got the package in mint condition and it works well for the right cassettes :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Very low quality, November 8, 2005
Alex (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Jams, June 27, 2009
This review is from: Maxell Cassette VHS-C Adapter (290060) (Electronics)
Played a tape about 3/4 through and then stopped. When I rewound and removed it I also found that both tape edges were damaged. It's junk.

1.0 out of 5 stars GETS STUCK!, September 22, 2007
This review is from: Maxell Cassette VHS-C Adapter (290060) (Electronics)
IT GETS STUCK IN MY VCR WHILE TRYING TO EJECT. I NEED TO USE A KNIFE ON EACH SIDE TO HELP IT OUT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Maxell VHS-C Adapter, November 11, 2012
I was pleased to find this , as it was a necessary component to view some of our tapes. Works well . Price was good

1.0 out of 5 stars Maxell VHS-C Adapter, January 9, 2010
This review is from: Maxell Cassette VHS-C Adapter (290060) (Electronics)
The first time I put it in the VCR, it made a grinding noise and I thought it was going to ruin a family video. It played for about 5 seconds and stopped. I checked it to see if maybe I left something on it. I tried it again and it did the same thing. I wasn't about to try it anymore with my family videos. I only gave it one star because it wouldn't let use zero stars. Piece of junk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product., March 9, 2011
This review is from: Maxell Cassette VHS-C Adapter (290060) (Electronics)
Don't know why people are saying this doesn't work. I bought it and it works perfectly. Can finally play all of these old VHS-Cs I have lying around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Second Try Much Better, May 30, 2012
T. H. Meyer (Deer Mountain, UT, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maxell Cassette VHS-C Adapter (290060) (Electronics)
I originally gave this two stars and wrote, "Putting in my first VHS-C tape, the left plastic spring loaded post snapped off, and it isn't worth my time, effort, or postage to return an $11.00 item. I was researching alternative products when I read the detailed review of this product giving detailed instructions on loading tapes into this cassette. I will give it one more try."

I bought another, followed the instructions posted by "MARKM," and have been able to play and convert to DVD three JVC brand VHS-C tapes of family vacation. I am only upgrading the review to four stars because you have to be very careful loading your tapes and the instructions on the box are woefully inadequate. Follow MARKM and you will be fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't order unless your cassettes are Maxwell ones, May 13, 2011
This review is from: Maxell Cassette VHS-C Adapter (290060) (Electronics)
Do not order this Maxwell VHS C adapter if you are looking for a standard size adapter. It is not "standard" for all Cassettes. For example, JVC tapes will NOT fit in it. I know because I bougth one and damaged my cassette. You will be unable to slide the door shut &/or it will open up your cassette tape on top and damage it. Spend your money on one that is Standard instead of this. Only if you have a Maxwell cassette tape should you buy this. Otherwise, save your money.

Maxell Cassette VHS-C Adapter (290060)
Used & New from: $7.77