4.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids
Published on January 31, 2010 by Mel

I just did a side-by-side comparison of this earphone with three other models:
- Maxell M&M Kids Safe 4 in1 Headphones
- Maxell MMEB-O M&M'S Earbud, Orange
- Sony MDR-222KD Childrens Headphones (Black)

Published on July 15, 2012 by OldMan

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids, January 31, 2010
Mel (Cincinnati, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maxell Kids Safe Headphone with volume level protection - Black (190338) (Electronics)
The headphones fit great on my four year old. The sound quality isn't that great, but they work fine. They do exactly what I wanted - minimize the level of sound from the mp3 player. My daughter has no problem hearing her music even while in the van, with road noise. However, many times she does have it at the maximum level. But, these headphones limit what that max is so I feel comfortable with her using them regularly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Volume limiting feature was less effective than Maxell's "Kids Safe 4 in 1", July 15, 2012
I just did a side-by-side comparison of this earphone with three other models:
- Maxell M&M Kids Safe 4 in1 Headphones
- Maxell MMEB-O M&M'S Earbud, Orange
- Sony MDR-222KD Childrens Headphones (Black)

I compared them all on the same stereo, playing the same song - first at 3/10 of the volume-range, then with the volume cranked to the max. In both tests, this model was second-best; the "Maxell M&M Kids Safe 4 in 1 Headphones" did the best job of limiting the loudness of the music.

3.0 out of 5 stars good for MP3/ Terrible for DSi, January 21, 2010
I bought these for my children so that they can have their own earphones and not use mine. I also liked the sound limiting qualities so that their eardrums are safe. I found that they do what they are supposed to do as far as limiting volume. It is okay for when they are using our ipods but they do not work on their DSi's. The volume when plugged into the DSi is so low that you cannot hear the games at all. We tried two pairs of earphones in two different DSi'a with the volume all the way up. Ultimately I decided to keep these and let them use them on their MP3 players but will get different earphones for DSi's.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for airplanes, April 25, 2012
these headphones reduce the decibels to protect the ears... problem is that on an airplane you can't hear it with the added background noise of the engines. My kids complained that they couldn't hear the video when I plugged them into a portable DVD. I listened... and they were right. They do work at home in a quite environment but I purchased them for the flight ... completely useless for this purpose.

4.0 out of 5 stars As Advertised, April 14, 2010
Nothing special here: don't expect heavy solid construction or anything, but it survived two 10 hour flights on a 2-year olds head (not used much though, but it was shoved around in bags). Volume limiter is there and works, possibly even too agressively when in a noisy environment. The color caps are nice too.

2.0 out of 5 stars not kid tough, May 18, 2010
Unfortunately though this is listed for kids, it is not sturdy enough for kids. I tried to use these as a spare pair in the car and they were broken within a week. Just not tough enough

5.0 out of 5 stars My Kids Love These Headphones!, May 5, 2010
I think it may be the options that they have to change the colors on the ear pieces...but my 3 kids really love these! The price wasn't bad & they fit each of my kids good b/c they are made for smaller heads. They work, my kids love them, & price wasn't bad..I say good buy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Too volume-limited, May 8, 2011
KristaMV (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
So, I understand that these headphones are designed to prevent them from reaching a dangerous volume. However, they are so volume-limited that you actually can't hear anything through them. Our portable DVD player on maximum volume with normal headphones is painfully loud. With these headphones you can barely hear the sound, even on the highest volume setting. On an airplane with all the background noise, it's not audible.

I don't recommend them. You might as well connect up a tin can with a string.

Oh, and I bought 2 of them so it's not just a single defective pair.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Limiting, December 24, 2011
The headphones limit the volome so much that the kids and I can't hear anything. I will be trashing these and buying two pair locally. I would not recommend these for kids or adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Small Kids, September 7, 2013
Volume level really will not go above a certain loudness! Comfortably fits the head size of my Kindergartener. Like the changeable tabs on the side in different colors. My child uses them in the computer lab at school. Quality above expected for the price.

Rate and Discover Movies