4.0 out of 5 stars easy to use
Published on March 15, 2010 by S. Alter

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't do it for us
We had great hopes for this product, but will likely return it.

What we liked.

It is attractive looking and, for the nature of the product, the overall size of the entire box is small enough. I wouldn't want it any smaller as steam has to escape when popping corn.

What we didn't like.

The popping pot is too small. It produces...
Published on September 19, 2012 by Ernie Gorrie

4.0 out of 5 stars easy to use, March 15, 2010
This review is from: MaxiMatic EPM-250 Elite Classic Tabletop Retro-Style 2-1/2-Ounce Kettle Popcorn Popper Machine (Kitchen)
The Maxi-Matic EPM-250, i had found this popcorn popper very easy to use. It comes with measure tools to get the right amount of oil and popcorn. I am on a diet, that allows me to have a snack of 6 cups of popcorn after popping. This makes the right amount (small bag of movie size popcorn). After the unit cool down, just add 6 oz. of water and turn back on for a couple minutes to boil water. Let it cool down again and you can empty the water and wipe it clean. The tray, i wash with soap and water after each use. It was worth the money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't do it for us, September 19, 2012
We had great hopes for this product, but will likely return it.

What we liked.

What we didn't like.

The popping pot is too small. It produces enough popped corn for one person. That may be perfectly suitable for a single person or for two people who eat little popcorn, except for one problem. Because the pot is small, the lid is small. Popped corn is large. We find that the popped corn cannot escape through the lid as it should because it jams at the small opening. When it is finally forced through and we try to dump the remaining popped corn from the pot, it too jams, making it difficult to get the popped corn out.

It takes a long time to make popcorn. The first batch requires three minutes for the oil to heat, then about another three minutes to pop. So about a total of seven minutes once you add in the mucking around time for loading and unloading. But that does not produce enough popcorn (see above), so we need to make a second batch. The instructions say to wait five minutes between batches to not over stress the heater. So now we add the five minutes, plus another six minutes for heating the oil and popping the second time. We are now approaching 20 minutes to make popcorn. Then another five minutes to cool, then six minutes for adding the water to clean the pot, heating the water and draining it. We have now taken about 30 minutes to make popcorn.

I'm not convinced about the cleaning. It says to just add water to the pot, heat it to boiling and drain it. I'm not convinced that is all there is as popcorn bits remain in the pot, so I swab it out with paper towel. This is difficult because the opening is so small I have difficulty getting my hand into it. We have only made popcorn three times so far, but already the inside bottom of the pot is discoloring from the oil.

I think we will return this one and move to a larger capacity popper. It will give us popped corn faster and it will be easier to get my hand into the pot during clean up.

5.0 out of 5 stars No more chemically flavored microwave popcorn!, April 13, 2010
Patee333 (California USA) - See all my reviews
I picked up the Elite popcorn maker because every weekend, my friends and I do movies or watch Lost and other shows. We used to make popcorn out of the microwave, but I'd always either burn the popcorn or there would be like 40 kernels at the bottom of the bucket. But now, all I have to do is throw the kernels in the kettle and in five minutes we've got enough real movie style popcorn for all of us. But my favorite part is that during the middle of the movie when everyone wants seconds, I don't have to spend the time making another batch, the warmer keeps all of the popcorn in the bucket at an enjoyable temperature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Popcorn Maker, August 20, 2010
Picked up this popcorn maker a few weeks ago, just before my daughter's birthday party--thought it would be a great way to entertain 10 crazy kids...... It worked perfectly! It was a nice addition to the event and it helped me keep all those kids contained (as much as kids at party can be hahahaha). Looked at comparable popcorn makers, but this was one had the lowest price; however, it proved to be a great buy. It is convenient, easy to use, and the warming light allows me to keep the popcorn fresh. It has a great design and it is of great quality--overall a great buy. It allowed me to keep my daughter and her friends entertained. It will definitely be a staple for future parties.

3.0 out of 5 stars Will probably stick with our air popper, January 12, 2013
We bought the Maxi-Matic at Costco for $40. The popcorn was nice and crispy, like movie theater popcorn, but tasted much better. The outside of the box says it makes "up to a gallon of popcorn at a time". I blanked out the "up to", and so I was disappointed when it actually only made about six cups per batch. I'm pretty sure there's no popcorn in the world that would pop up to a gallon per batch! The instructions say to wait five minutes before starting another batch. It took about 20 minutes to make three batches, one for each of us. Hubby made the comment that by the time the first batch was actually popped, we could have had popcorn for everyone using our air popper (which makes batches continually). We found the Maxi-Matic is also pretty messy, as in both popped and unpopped kernels end up between the plastic tub and the walls of the popper. I felt like there was popcorn everywhere between batches, on the floor of the popper, on the counter, and on the kitchen floor. Then there was the clean up after use, requiring washing of the tiny kettle and wiping down the inside walls of the popper. So the idea of this is nice, it makes good popcorn, but for the mess and time involved, we'll return this, stick with our air popper for now, and look for something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Movie theater style popcorn., August 17, 2010
I was given this popcorn popper as a gift on my birthday because I am a pretty big fan of popcorn. The best part about being able to make your own popcorn is that you can flavor it any way you want.

It took a couple of trys to get it to turn out the way I wanted but once I got it down it tasted great and was easy to make.

Much better than store bought popcorn from the microwave and much healthier too!

I would suggest this to a friend because on movie nights we always make sure to make a fresh batch which makes it feel like we are really going to the movies without the added expense.

My only complaint is that it is quite small and only for 1-2 people but for the price it is a great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Popcorn King, February 21, 2011
An Amazon Customer (PALM HARBOR, FLORIDA, US) - See all my reviews
Purchased for my college student son for x-mas. He loves it! Easy to use, and clean. Makes perfect one serving and just slide out removable tray to eat. Bought popcorn on-line and it tastes just like the movie popcorn. ADIOS MICROWAVE. Compact size perfect for apartment living. Did have one problem, first unit shipped had a broken door, but had new unit in 5 days, with UPS pickup for broken unit. Awesome service by Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Fun Nite, December 16, 2011
Are family enjoys this theater style popcorn during family fun nights. Better than microwave popcorn that is full of chemicals. We control the amount of REAL butter and salt. Quick and easy and it pops nearly every kernel.

1.0 out of 5 stars EPM 250 Elite Popcorn Popper, December 29, 2012
Just bought (not at Amazon). Went through the process of
getting ready for first use - cleaned with warm, soapy
water, etc. Spent at least a half hour unpacking, reading
instructions, and getting ready to use. Poured 1 TBSP oil
in kettle. Turned on. Light worked, kettle started heating,
but stirrer did not turn (motor/gear at top of unit did not
rotate - didn't hear any motor noises). Tried a few times
(like it would get better?) No luck. Returning. One would
think "quality control" would at least have plugged it in to
verify basic operation. Back to a pot on the stove? Wasn't
too happy about all the plastic anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Met all my expectations and at a great price, January 11, 2014
The kids loved it. Took them a while to get the hang of loading the corn and oil. Their 6 and 9 after all.