5.0 out of 5 stars terrific for my needs
Published on December 9, 2009 by MD JD Mom

2.0 out of 5 stars Get the Proctor-Silex instead!
Published on December 14, 2010 by NC

5.0 out of 5 stars terrific for my needs, December 9, 2009
I was looking specifically for a small slow cooker to use for making oatmeal overnight. I already own several larger ones, but only needed two or three servings of oatmeal. This ones works beautifully and is by far the most aesthetically appealing of the four I own, if you can extend the word "aesthetic" to a slow cooker. Cleans up easily with a removable insert that releases food easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful 1.5 qt slow cooker, October 26, 2009
RWH (Buffalo, NY) - See all my reviews
I was hesitant to order this since there were only two reviews, and one was very negative. I have had it about 5 days, and have made at least three meals with it. It is very like the the slow cooker that it replaced, another brand, but the same wattage, etc. This one appears to work just fine, and I very much like the red color. It also has a defrost setting, which I have used one time, and found it very useful. Otherwise, it is just like my old 1 1/2 quart model. That one lasted 7 years. For one or two people this size is ideal. For soups, beans, spaghetti sauce, and small portions of meat, like pork chops, it can not be beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mini size for small families or individual servings., November 23, 2009
Got this pot for the single purpose of making soups that helps wife recoup faster after giving birth. This little pot does the job perfectly. The size is just right for 1 person having 2 servings, or 2 people. Doesn't overcook, doesn't burn, nice color, doesn't take up a bunch of counter space. Don't see how the this could burn holes, perhaps it's just 1 defective one. Especially considering the tiny $14.99 price tag, this one is well worth the money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Get the Proctor-Silex instead!, December 14, 2010
NC (Annapolis, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this 1.5 quart slow cooker for my boyfriend a few weeks after I bought a different brand for myself (the Proctor Silex). I was very happy with the Proctor Silex -- I bought it to make oatmeal overnight to be ready in the morning -- and wanted to have another cooker at my boyfriend's house. However, for some reason, the Proctor Silex was no longer eligible for free shipping, so I bought this model by Maxi-Matic instead. I figured they're all pretty much the same, right? Wrong! This cooker heats up higher --or maybe much more unevenly? --than the other cooker, even on "Low," and so the oatmeal comes out VERY burnt and crusty around the edges and on the bottom instead of smooth and creamy. Also, for some reason I don't understand, clean-up is totally different with this cooker, too -- even after soaking for a few hours, I still have to scrub the oatmeal off the sides. It's a pain. With the Proctor Silex, I soak the crock while I am in the shower, and the oatmeal residue slides right out of the crock.

I don't know why these two cookers are so different -- I believe they are the same wattage -- but there is a huge difference in performance. I would have sent this back -- we'll never use it for oatmeal since it's such a hassle -- if my boyfriend hadn't already thrown out the box. Get the Proctor-Silex!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, February 1, 2010
Like others, I am primarily using for morning oatmeal. ~1 cup of whole oats and ~2 cups of water plus some raisins. I have it set up to a timer to come on about 4AM. By 6 AM, the oatmeal is pretty much perfect. I am using the low setting. I add some applesauce but no sugar. Can feel my cholesterol coming down!

The size is great for a side dish such as lentils. The crock pot is solid as a rock. Have had it for about a month and no cracks or chips, etc. Would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for appetizers!, December 30, 2009
Chris Hall (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
I can report that it works well, heat level is adjustable, consistent and correct. All in all, I am very pleased with this smaller crock pot and recommend it highly. I have several crock pots which I have used for appetizers but they weren't a good fit; they were really too large. I have always meant to buy a smaller one and so this year I purchased this crock pot especially for appetizers. It is exactly the right size for the recipes I use. Also, it was easy for people to serve themselves at the buffet table, and the color made it an attractive addition to the holiday table!

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Breakfast, But Overcooks A Little, March 6, 2010
Kalamazoo (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought this little slow cooker to make delicious wholesome breakfasts for my husband and me during the winter months. I originally got inspired to do this from Beth Hensperger's book, "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook", which has a whole chapter on breakfast recipes for a mini slow cooker. (I highly recommend that book!)

The cooker is really cute and small--it fits on our kitchen counter without taking up too much space (and that's saying a lot since we live in a small NYC apartment), and I ADORE the red color! So snazzy.

The only downside is that the oatmeal/porridge that we make every day comes out slightly burned on the sides; there's consistently a sticky residue on the sides and the bottom, which makes me think that perhaps even the low setting (for 7-9 hours) is too hot. The oatmeal doesn't burn completely--just the sides are slightly tougher, so there is plenty of good stuff left to eat. (And actually scraping some of the tougher stuff makes for little chewy bits, which is kind of nice.) Maybe we should contact the manufacturer; maybe we got a lemon. But for right now, it does the trick, and for the price, I can't really complain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice size to cook for a baby, November 23, 2009
M. Nguyen (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MaxiMatic MST-250XW Elite Cuisine 1-1/2-Quart Round-Shaped Slow Cooker, White (Kitchen)
We purchased this slow cooker to make baby food and it works just fine! We also use it to cook for ourselves and it is great for just two. On the plus side, it is easy to clean, compact, comes in multiple colors to match other appliances, and the automatic defrost feature is nice. We have only used it a few times, but so far have found no negatives. Overall a good product that does what it is supposed to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size for dinner for 2, July 12, 2010
Because my husband and I work long hours, we like to eat dinner as soon as we get home. I usually throw some meat and veggies in the crock pot before bed, and by morning it's done. I stick the whole crock in the fridge, and the food is ready to reheat in the microwave when we get home. It's much healthier than frozen dinners, and it saves us from having to eat dinner at 10 p.m.!

Unfortunately, my "regular" sized crock pot makes way too much food for just the two of us. One can only eat beef stew or chicken paprika so many nights in a row, and I'm afraid we're both pretty lazy about freezing leftovers. A lot of food was going to waste, so I invested in this little 1.5 qt. crock pot.

I was worried that because of the small size, it would cook the food too fast or burn it. But it's done a great job so far, and it makes just enough food for two generous portions (with maybe a bit left over). The little crock is removable and cleans up easily. (Some of the really tiny slow cookers - designed for sauces - don't have removable crocks, which makes them a pain to clean.)

My full-size cooker has now found a home in the bottom cabinet, while my little red one sits full-time on the countertop! We use it at least twice a week.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Handy Slow Cooker, February 28, 2010
It's adorable! Often I want to make some soup or stew but don't want to get
the big slow cooker out. This is PERFECT, I'm using for soups, and veggies,
trying different receipes and all so far coming out great. I've reduced the
receipes by half and the cooker is doing fine. Watch the time however, it
loses 1 star, because it seems to be running hotter than other pots on high.
As meat will start to burn. I've compenstated for this by putting veggies on
bottom. The little book which comes with it advises this also.
Cleans up well and I leave on my stove for quick cooking ideas.