WHAT COMES IN THE BOX

Battery
2 "screwdrivers"
Directions

DISASSEMBLY

Instructions are too tiny to read but legible. Pictures are too small to follow. I watched a video on the Internet (just search for Ipod Video Battery Replacement).

Published on December 21, 2009 by Eagle Vision

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid This Product
Bought this to replace my five year old iPod's battery. Swapping the battery was no problem, but the new battery doesn't take a charge.

Published on October 26, 2010 by J. Orach

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent alternative to getting "service" from the manufacturer, December 21, 2009
Eagle Vision (Southeastern United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Maximal Power Replacement Battery Kit for iPod Video 30 GB -Silver (Electronics)
WHAT COMES IN THE BOX

Battery
2 "screwdrivers"
Directions

DISASSEMBLY

I took the tool and pried the case open along the top right hand corner (away from the lock switch). I needed only one tool as I moved along the edge. Before separation, ensure that you do not rip the wiring off in the process. Look at the configuration of the wiring and the orientationn of the native battery. Then disconnect the battery's plug from the opposite side of the case. Pry the battery off with the "included tool", ensuring that you don't rip the circuitry off in the process. Once the native battery is removed, attach the tape strip connector and you should hear/feel a click. The place the battery into the original compartment. Make sure your wires are within the housing and not to crimp the ribbon connectors.

USE

I charged my iPod Video in about 4 hours. Battery life is excellent and I have had no problems, thus far.

CONCLUSION

This is a great alternative to paying someone to replace the battery. It takes about 5-10 minutes depending upon how comfortable you are with this process.

4.0 out of 5 stars do your research and be rewarded, December 28, 2009
1. Do your homework and watch a few Youtube videos before attempting the procedure yourself.

2. Be patient while opening the iPod case with the one time use non marring pry tools. (Took me about a half an hour to open the case.)

3. Be extremely careful in removing the old dead battery. Some very delicate data ribbons (which need to stay intact) are stuck to the bottom of the old battery.

Once you put it all back together it recharges and works just like new!

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid This Product, October 26, 2010

I followed the instructions: I swapped the battery and then plugged it into the wall charger and left it all night. When I woke up in the morning and unplugged the iPod it had half of the battery meter full. I used the iPod for five or six hours and the battery died.

I actually wasn't that upset about that; my previous battery only lasted about three hours but now it won't take a charge at all. I just charged it for 15 hours and it doesn't have enough juice to play a single song.

Maybe I got a dud but I'm still searching for an iPod replacement battery. Don't bother with this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just didn't last, April 7, 2011
Kevin Paskvan (Galloway, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
Well I bought this battery for my wife's iPod because it was cheap. I installed it using the tools provided and it seem to work perfectly from the start. However, after three weeks of use the battery stopped holding a charge. I read a few other reviews that stated this prior to buying it but for the most part other people were giving this 4 to 5 stars. I assumed they installed it wrong or something. Well I was wrong. This battery didn't work for me either. Looks like I'm off to the store to buy her an iPod touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great battery, December 2, 2009
My old battery would only hold a charge for a maximum of three or so hours. This one lasts about 11 hours on a full charge. Also, it charges faster. The only problem would be the cheap tools that come with it. The plastic bends and becomes useless pretty fast. If you go online, you can find some pretty useful videos of how other people open them. I used a guitar pick since they are somewhat soft and didn't leave scratches. Anyways, installation was easy, battery life is awesome, I recommend you get this battery if your iPod lasts less than six hours on a full charge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, August 12, 2009
Walton A. Flowers (Fort Lauderdale, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This product is the great replacement for battery in the ipod. I used it to replace the battery of a ipod classic 5th generation that would not hold a charge and it worked perfectly. This is highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for 1 charge, July 13, 2010
I let the battery charge once, which was for about 6 hours. It never went beyond ~50% full on my iPod's meter. I assumed this was simply a glitch in the meter and used it - I got about 3.5 hours of use out of it until the unit died, which is fair enough on a ~50% charge.

Then I plugged the iPod back in to recharge and it was stuck on the gray screen that only says "Please Wait. Very low battery." This is the exact same error message prior to replacing my bad battery with this one.

I'll be filing a refund for this defective product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only held charge once., April 12, 2010
I bought this for the incredibly cheap price of $[...]. After putting it in our the ipod it charged right up. It then held the charge for 4 hours of music playing. After I charged it a second time it nevr held a charge again. Worthless piece of crap.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap, February 1, 2011
This battery does not hold charge for more then an hour. I installed it 3 months after I got it so I never got a chance to return it.
And it definitely does not hold in charge in standby.

4.0 out of 5 stars I did it myself!, October 26, 2009
Nuknuk (Springfield, VA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This comes in a pretty simple package. A small plastic packet with the battery, 2 prying tools, and a tiny instruction. It took me just about 5 minutes to open the 5th gen iPod, remove old battery, and install the new one. I only needed one of the tools to pry it open. The best place to start is the top corner, twist the tip a little bit, then slide it down, and twist again, slide, until you can open it with your fingers like a clam shell. Most of the time was spent is just for being slow and careful as the leads seams to be very delicate. The most important thing when installing the new one is to make sure that the contact lead is well inserted into the socket. I used a long nose pliers to push it, which at the same time making sure that I am not squeezing it too hard or bending it too much.

The battery looks a tad slimmer. I charged the iPod for 4 hours. Now, I am happy that my iPod is working again.

Pros:
+ Fantastic value
+ Easy installation
+ Comes with 2 double ended tools

Cons:
- Less juice than original iPod battery

Update: Almost 4 months after, still satisfied with the battery. Charge is not as long as the original (which what I expect in the first place - probably 80% as compared with the OEM). Still a fantastic value.