Top positive review
6 people found this helpful
Great book - lays a great foundation for giving and practical steps too!
on April 21, 2011
Maximize does lay a great foundation for giving. How? By showing that giving and generosity are basic values of discipleship that ought to be maturing over time.
Here are my 10 takeaways on the book:
1. It is impossible to become a fully developed follower of Jesus without also becoming a fully developed steward of financial resources. Again, where your treasure is there your heart will also be.
2. Giving should be an outward, material expression of a deep, spiritual commitment... and indication of a willing and obedient heart. Larry Burkett
3. Maximize is the stewardship system that was developed out of this singular goal to cultivate first-time givers and move them towards extravagant giving.
' Turn a first-time giver and do a regular giver.
' Turn a regular giver into a tither.
' Turn a tither into an extravagant giver.
4. By nature, the concept of generosity is in conflict with the concept of self preservation. Andy Stanley.
5. So teach on stewardship four times a year.
' Teach on money mid-to-late January
' teach on money right after kids get back to school.
' Pick two other stewardship Sundays during the year at your own discretion.
' Along with this new stewardship testimonies two times a year
6. Revolutionary gratitude
' Giving is a way of taking the focus off the money we make and put it back where it belongs on the lives we lead, the families we raise, the communities that nurture us.
' Our goal is to create a culture of generosity. (that is more than money)
' Stewardship is discipleship, which creates a culture of generosity, encouraging generosity through education and strategic stewardship practices, and following up with givers effectively.
7. Four key elements: continuing education
' Small groups
' Membership class
"Money and its use are indicators of spiritual health" Say that twice out loud!
' Practical ways to develop people:
' teach on financial management
' provide financial management resources
' offer a stewardship small group
8. Educate people to bring the full tithe to God as an act of joyful worship
9. Measuring things: You need to measure!
10. Cultivate extravagant givers.
' step up to give extra care and support of those people who choose to live as extravagant givers
' how can we better minister to you
' is there anything we need to clarify for you
' how can pray for you
Check it out!
Vineyard Community Church Joliet Illinois