5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Resource!, December 14, 2010
This review is from: Maximize Your Writing Score on the SAT: An Expert's Guide to Mastering the SAT Writing Section (Paperback)
I have been a teacher / tutor in the greater Seattle area for about 8 years, and I honestly feel that this SAT guide is far superior to every similar resource I have encountered.

The book breaks down all the rules of good writing tested in the SAT writing section. Each rule is explained simply, and many quality sample test questions are utilized to show how SAT question writers test each rule. A priority rating is also assigned from one to three stars to each rule based on how frequently that rule is tested. These rules ensure that students master the essential rules first and allocate their study time efficiently. The book also includes a Super-Quick Study Guide that covers the most frequently tested rules, a chapter on how to write a high-scoring essay, and plenty of targeted practice questions. There is also a brief 20-question assessment test at the front of the book, so students can identify their areas of weakness and devise a study plan that suits their individual needs.

Quite simply, this book comes HIGHLY recommended from someone that has been teaching SAT prep classes for more than half of a decade!

~Jeff

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for the SAT writing section, December 29, 2010
Excellent book for the SAT writing section

I'm a parent of a high school junior studying for the SAT, and I would recommend this book to any student who wants to do well on the writing section. This book covers all the major subject areas such as pronouns, verbs, idioms, subject-verb agreement, etc., but it's well organized and easy to use. Every chapter (there are 12) breaks down the different grammar errors you need to know in that subject area. For example, the pronoun chapter covers about 15 different SAT pronoun errors. Some grammar errors are more important than others, and the book uses stars to tell you which errors are always tested and which errors are less likely to show up on the test. All the grammar chapters are good, but I thought the chapters on subject-verb agreement, pronouns, comparisons, modifiers, and comma splices were especially helpful. The clues and sentence patterns identified in those chapters make it easy to spot the same errors in SAT writing questions. Unless your kid is already a grammar whiz, this book should be a big help for the writing section.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Practice Questions, March 18, 2012
First with the negatives- the book isn't very long, which may be a good thing to you. It doesn't go in depth with the grammar teaching, which can be frustrating to those struggling quite a bit on this section of the SAT.
Positives- the questions are plentiful and great. Due to the trickiness and difficulty of some of the questions, it really helped me refine my skills. In my opinion, this book is best for those scoring 650+ because it's more of a refinement than a detailed crash course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great SAT Writing Guide, December 11, 2010
This is an excellent teaching guide. The examples are great and highlight the teaching. It should genuinely improve your SAT writing score!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good SAT writing book., April 27, 2014
It's a good writing book. I'd like to recommend this book to you.
I knew know-how of SAT writing through this book.
Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Out There!! Do not hesitate to buy!!, March 16, 2013
Let me preface my review by saying that I am an expert SAT Writing tutor and a graduate of Yale Law School. This book is the best I have found so far for the SAT Writing. I have not gone through all of it yet, but I am highly impressed so far, and I am not impressed easily (you can check my numerous reviews to see that I am critical of most SAT prep guides). The authors did an excellent job with this book.

I bought the digital copy because I am always skeptical of books and didn't want to waste money on a bad one, but I will be purchasing a hard copy. I will probably be stocking this book for my students to purchase (I teach an SAT workshop at a high school). Purchase the hard copy, easier to work with and well worth the money. I like this book better than Erica Meltzer's "ultimate" which I also recommend because this book gives a better grammar background and is better organized. Also. Erica's book had sloppy editing with numerous typos/errors, although she has put out a second edition and perhaps (I hope) the mistakes have been corrected. If you cannot afford a tutor, or even if you can, get this book. It is a no-nonsense no-gimmick book with spot-on content. I will update as I get through the rest of the book. I think I have not read all of it yet because I dislike the digital format, does not really work for me.

There are some points I disagree with slightly, for example in the advice about essay writing. I believe length is a huge factor in the score and force all of my students to fill up all of the space, at least 400 words. I also think sticking in SAT vocabulary is very important and really increases scores. The author mentions these items but does not think they are as important as I do. Still, great book and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, January 18, 2012
Bigmac (Florida, United States) - See all my reviews
Author goes the extra step by having a lot of practice questions in there. It would be helpful if he also covered the ACT writing, but nonetheless it is a solid book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Helpful, June 6, 2014
I purchased many writing workbooks and this is my favorite one because it clearly explains all the grammar rules and gives helpful practice. It helped me go from a 520 writing score to a 800 with a perfect grammar score.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very effective SAT Writing Book, April 29, 2014
I don't want to say too much, but my Writing score from 495 reach 730 in 10 days (2 days to finish the books, 8 days to practice the Past papers). The books covers almost everything we will meet in the test. Some level 5 questions that used to be extremely hard to me turns out to be as easy as pie after using the book ! Strongly reccomended

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, October 22, 2012
This helped my daughter do very well in SAT writing. She used this book for a month before the test.
She highly recommends students preparing for SAT to use this book !

$21.95 $20.58
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.