4.0 out of 5 stars A Must Buy
Turn off the home shopping channel and put down your new low carb diet book. In a sea of crash diets and fitness fads Ori Hofmekler offers an intelligent well researched and functional blueprint for healthy living. In his new book "Maximum Muscle Minimum Fat" Ori's passion for the beauty and complexity of the human body comes through on every page.
Those of you...
Published on November 20, 2003 by Shawn

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of technical information
Published on October 21, 2003 by Greg Donahue

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of technical information, October 21, 2003
"Maximum Muscle-Minimum Fat" went into the scientific details of why Ori's dietary approach works. "The Warrior Diet" was easier to understand and is a great book. "Maximum Muscle-Minimum Fat" seems geared to people who want to understand the tiny details. Buying "The Warrior Diet" is an excellent choice. Buying "Maximum Muscle-Minimum Fat" is fine as long as you just want to learn more about why "The Warrior Diet" works.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must Buy, November 20, 2003
Shawn (Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews
Those of you familiar with "The Warrior Diet" will find new information and further depth in Ori's latest offering. For readers new to Ori's research you will find a detailed exploration into how we can fuel and train our bodies to reach our full potential. A far cry from the usual diet/fitness books that line bookstore shelves, Maximum Muscle Minimum Fat offers an unprecedented exploration into the science human performance and in doing so sets a new standard.
Maximum Muscle Minimum Fat is not an easy read. This book is for people who aren't merely satisfied with diet and training tips but rather this is for people with the drive and capacity to ask why and how things work. Ori takes great care in laying out the science behind training the human body and it is his attention to detail that sets his work apart from the masses. This extremely well written book is packed with technical information along with carefully crafted summaries that help turn the science of training into the art of personal excellence.
Maximum Muscle Minimum Fat goes beyond training for the sake of vanity and explores the science behind functional strength. With this work Ori invites his readers to get off the sofa and go to the extreme in their training. By trumpeting the virtues of such training methods as; supersets, under and over eating the author artfully lays out a plan for healthy living that shows readers how to create "super muscles", and a fat burning metabolism.
As a martial arts coach and personal training I have encountered countless athletes and weekend warriors who will suffer and sacrifice in the gym only to fail to reach their goals for lack of proper planning in the gym and at the dinner table. Such people go through their training and their life with a kind of handbrake on, never reaching their full potential. For a practical method of pushing the limits of human performance and to create a functionally strong and fit body I highly recommend Maximum Muscle Minimum Fat.

2.0 out of 5 stars Theory is great, but in practice it doesn't seem to work., February 21, 2009
This review is from: Maximum Muscle, Minimum Fat: The Secret Science Behind Physical Transformation (Paperback)
Hmmm... I was initially very happy with the scientific information contained in this book, about the interplay of hormones within our bodies and how those hormones affected the building of muscle and the use of body fat for energy.

I was looking for natural technics in which to manipulate those hormonal cycles to more efficiently enhance muscle growth, while minimising body fat accumulation, but was sadly disappointed by this book. In theory the book's information sounded great, but in practice it didn't work for me.

I have for the last year and half meticulously tracked my body's weight, body fat %, water %, muscle %, as well as calorie intake each day, whereby I have gained a solid understanding of the hormonal cycles within my body in terms of peaks and troughs affecting those metrics, based upon the effects of diet, weights, cardio exercise and sleep.

Despite the book advocating an eating strategy which flys in the face of established body building and/or cutting technics, especially around ideas for boosting one's metabolism for fat loss, I decide to give it a go and reserve judgement till later. Basically my body metrics were disastrous in terms of the effect of eating 4-5 very small calorie meals, with a very large calorie meal each day. Without changing any of the other factors in my program (weights, cardio and sleep), what I notice was a slowing of my body's metabolism, an increase in body fat and a loss of lean muscle.

In my opinion, the author, if he really believes his strategy works, needs to give his readers a sample framework, a specific eating plan, based upon grams per pound/kg of body weight, etc. Otherwise the readers have no really reference point for properly implementing his proposed strategy. I feel if the author added a few more chapters around the actual implementation in practice, taking into account differing body types (ectomorph, mesomorph and endomorph), his work would be more promising.

My recommendations are:

Buy the book if you want a very good understanding of the hormones in our bodies and how they affect each other to maintain the "status quo" for survival.

Don't buy this book if you are looking for a better strategy towards the building of muscle and the reducing of body fat - as the book's title seems to suggest.

A more promising book, based upon reviews in Amazon is:

The Fat Burning Diet: Accessing Unlimited Energy for a Lifetime"
Jay Robb; Paperback

Shane

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding technical/scientific reference, October 9, 2005
Lyle "L3" (Wisconsin, USA) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent reference to the science behind and beyond THE WARRIOR DIET, not that you have to have that book to read this one, but it is more of a clear application guide to the concepts in this book. This book can be a great resource to the serious athlete but because it gives no specific plan to use the information in it, it is not for the weekend health recreationalist. Be warned it is a very complex book, the information is all there, but the average reader will likely have trouble understanding much of the information without some background or previous interest in the technical functions of chemicals and hormones in the body. A lot of scientific talk here. Excellent book, but be ready to do more research to get a full understanding of all the knowledge in here.

5.0 out of 5 stars DON'T KNOCK IT TILL YOU'VE TRIED IT !!!!, October 10, 2006
I'm no scientist or nutritionist nor have I consulted one so take this for what it is worth.

I'm a 26 year old active father who needed to lose between 10 and 15 lbs (210lbs. to 200 or so). 4 weeks into the diet I have lost 11 lbs. I feel much healthier and much more alive than before not to mention the energy increase. I don't understand the science behind anything - could care less. I know from experience that so far this diet works for fat loss and more importntly feeling healthy and well. Which is something I had been missing for about 2 years. THIS FEELS GREAT.

Also, I have tried cutting calories, 6 meals a day, Abs Diet, Body for LIfe, and the like throughout my life. They all work I'm sure - but none of them like this one. This is more than just Fat Loss!

About the supplements -they are all reccomended not required. I take a multi-vitamin and a mineral and thats all. He's not trying to break you although I'm sure he would appreciate it if you purchased his supplaments. I have not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Warrior Diet Part 2, November 10, 2003
Ori Hofmekler's "The Warrior Diet" details how and why to diet to achieve maximum performance. His latest venture, "Maximum Muscle, Minimum Fat" outlines the science behind it all. I had to read through this one twice to really get my head around what was being taught. I found it extremely interesting to say the least! While I don't follow the Warrior Diet in a strict fashion, I'm slowly leaning towards it. I think this book was what I was looking for when questions arose from the first one. Anyone interested in fitness or nutrition should get themselves a copy and expand their knowledge. Well done!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Read Warrior Diet First, April 19, 2009
M. Sabates (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
For those who've read the Warrior Diet and:(i) want to learn more, and in the case of this book a LOT more, about the science behind cycling between periods of over eating and then undereating; and (ii) want to learn how to "tweak" the program set forth in the Warrior Diet to enhance muscle building; then this book is for you.

If you're new to Ori's writings/theories on eating, then it will be a difficult read and you may come away from it unclear as to what exactly to do.

It's well written and well researched, but it is technical.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Everyman's (and Woman's) Fitness Regimen, October 29, 2003
Daniel Falconer (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - See all my reviews
Are you interested in results? Are you looking for a nutritional and fitness regimen that will melt the fat and build the muscles, quickly and rather painlessly, then let you hold on to the gains you've made without living like a Buddhist monk for the rest of your life?
You may have stumbled across the holy grail of action-oriented diets here. Well, "diet" is misleading - I mean it in the sense of an ongoing way of eating, a nutritional regimen for life, not the current sense of a fad way of eating where you dump some pounds (usually fat AND muscle) and then gain 'em right back (usually more - and usually all fat this time, so you're worse off than when you started the "diet").
"Maximum Muscle, Minimum Fat" (MMMF) and its companion volume "The Warrior Diet" (TWD), by the multi-talented Ori Hofmekler, explore what may be at its core the simplest to follow diet ever devised. It is at once a totally rational way of living, as documented in the scientific rigor and textbook depth of MMMF; in balance, it is also a romantic, dashing, and viscerally satisfying intensification of this rather drab way of living we Americans have fallen into - as exemplified in the marvelously earthy TWD.
If your body is not to your liking; if you yearn to be a Spartan warrior by day, feast like a Roman emperor at night, and look like a Greek god all the time; if you want it all, right now and with all the trimmings, thank you very much, then you've come to the right place. I have been on this regimen for a few months now, and it has literally given me a new life and a new body. I have lost 40 pounds, gained a LOT of muscle; my appetite is fantastic, I sleep like a baby, I relish every bite of food, and I go to bed literally stuffed and happy every night!
Go ahead and spring for these two information-packed books, and while you're at it pick up Ori's great exercise video, "The Warrior Workout." You'll have found a diet you can live with, and a way of living that will nourish your body, your mind, and your soul.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is "functional" !, October 17, 2003
Brett Jones (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
The functional training crowd missed it - Ori Hofmekler got it. By utilizing the actual function of the tissues and the body processes involved, Ori lays out a pathway to achieving your goals. The text is technical yet explained well enough for almost any reader to grasp. Mr. Hofmekler does not set out to demonize certain aspects of our physiology. Instead, he objectively looks at the information and shows how to optimize the work our body performs. I would characterize this book as the science behind the Warrior Diet. Which I resisted at first but find myself naturally gravitating towards. You will find many current nutritional beliefs challenged but it is well worth the pain of letting them go.

3.0 out of 5 stars COULD have been great..., February 24, 2009
Malone Remington (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
The science and the logic is all there... this could have been a great resource for fitness and nutrition enthusiasts; however, I am so very disappointed at Ori's vague allusion to key specifics in implementing his theories.
What it is is leaving many questions unanswered so that you will be forced to purchase further ebooks etc from his site. Many of the specifics are left out which would help one develop his own training and diet routine.
ie Ori talks about a specialized training style that can only be accessed on his site.

In terms of business, it is a good approach. Undoubtedly, some will pay more for further information. My stance, however, leaves me wondering "where will it end?"
Say I buy more... will his subsequent ebooks do the same to entice you to purchase YET AGAIN?
I cannot answer that, it seems like a risk and his credibility as a resource has been sullied in my eyes.

But I will close with this... there is a lot of valuable insights in this book. Definitely worth a read if you have experience training and a dedicated nutritional plan.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›