Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Maximum Muscle Package All In One Doorway Chin Up Bar
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on March 13, 2011
My wife and I bought this set for our P90x workout. The bar is very sturdy and works very well. After 1 week of using the bands as they were supposed to be used, the black band (the thickest of the three) broke. Amazon replaced the entire set free of charge after we sent back the entire first set, however it was a hassle to take apart the entire bar and then put together the new one when it came. I hope that it was just a flaw in the first band we had. I will update if I have trouble with the second set that came.
on August 14, 2010
It's pretty good quality material, except one bar was longer than the other, so it is lopsided!
on February 14, 2011
Assembly was pretty straightforward so no issues there. First time I tried to use the device it left HUGE black streaks on my walls from the rubber handles...not too cool. My low-tech fix was to put socks over them but that detracts from the friction use of the rubber (and looks pretty stupid) so I am in a "no win" situation. I would not recommend this particular product.
on July 22, 2010
the bar is great it supported me and the heaviest of my friends... but in the other end the resistances bands are not that great 2 of them broke in the first 2 weeks of using them... wish they would of lasted longer
on July 7, 2011
I was excited to get this product, and then it came. I usually love putting things together(unlike most people), so i open it up and there are no directions but i said i can just look at the pic, no problem. Then i get out the bolts and each one is a different size, three of them weren't even long enough to get all the way through, forget trying to get a nut on it. Several of the nuts wouldn't go on the bolts and i know sometimes that can be user error but in this case it wasn't I will probably have to get some new nuts and bolts at the hardware store to get this thing together. I briefly tested out the bands and they seem fine. Big time FAIL!
on February 19, 2013
Needed a removable pullup bar for use with P90X. This one looked good and despite a few bad reviews I went ahead and got it with the bands.

Assembly: There are instructions, but it seems the maker has changed two screws (label E on the instructions) and meant to hold the square bar to the tubed assembly. Because of this, they are a millimeter too short without a small trick. Instead of E's you have to use F's (mine came with 6 F's). Insert the screw into the square tubing and then into the vertical tube labeled 2. now, put an acorn nut on without the lock washer (or you can try the lock washer first and if it works, then the mfg. has included longer screws). Using te wrench, tighten the nut until the front of the square tube (part 1) starts to deform. Not loosen the nut, add the lock washer and complete the assembly. You may have to repeat these steps depending on how much you deformed the square tube to gain the extra thread length.

Measurements:
The length of the longest bar and the one the rests against the door frame is 41"
The depth from the bar the rests on the frame to the square tube the rests on the wall above the door on the other side is roughly 5.5"

Once I can do a pull up, I'll update the functionality :D

Update: The foam padding on the part that rests against the door frame tore and left black smudges. I tore them off, and put some pipe insulation on instead and it works great. Might replace the foam grips with tennis racket tape if they wear out too.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on August 2, 2010
The chin up bar is awesome, the seller has great customer service and offered me a refund for the bands when they broke after a week and a half. The lesson for me was to stick with the free weights.
on October 19, 2012
We men must take it upon ourselves to keep fit and keep looking good for our woman. We GOT to keep The Wang Up!

Unlike other chin up bars, this product fits wider doorways (up to 36 inches) perfectly. Other reviewers have reported odors in their product versions (from different vendors), but there were none in the products that I received.

The tool that comes with it becomes unusable and slips near the end of the simple installation of the kit. Simply replace the tool with an exact size monkey wrench--whatever you do, do not use a torque wrench on the hardware because the higher torque may strip the threads.

To prevent any possible damage to the wall and trim, I placed pipe insulation OVER the existing padding that makes contact to the wall and trim. Note: removing the existing padding that came on the bar is NOT necessary; For each bar pad, cut TWO pipe insulation pieces of the same length, place one around the existing bar pad, the trim to fit the other pipe insulation to sandwich the existing bar pad. If the pipe fitting does not come with it's own adhesive, use heavy duty rubber bands to keep your new "sandwich padding" together.

The unit even comes with dual brackets as an option to place on the wall above the doorway, which I did. This way, in addition to my regular daily exercise routine, when I walk through the doorway containing the chin up bar I can do a couple reps during the day. "During the day"--yeah, I just retired after 37 years of service to our country. : )

And I will be using the Maximum Muscle Package to keep me in shape, so I can keep The Wang Up. Brothers, keep opening the door for your wife so she will keep the Door of Love nice and wide.
on April 5, 2013
I bought this to tone up my aging muscles, I used to love to do chin ups. I installed it in a suitable doorway and reached up and grabbed it and pulled up until my feet weren't putting much weight on the floor anymore, I have gained a few pounds since I last did a pull up and if I ever build up enough to get my feet off the floor I will be much stronger than I was when they were easy. I wonder if breathing helium first would work? The chin up bar is very sturdy and easy to remove and install but I just leave it up to encourage using it, it isn't in the way going through the doorway but the door can't be shut while it is up so I never shut that door anymore.
on November 10, 2012
The Chin-Up bar itself was as good as I could reasonably expect for the price. The only issue (minor) was one slightly melted-looking end cap (the plastic piece that fits on to the end of one side of the bar was a little melted, but it still fit fine, and didn't change the look of the outside of the bar, only the inside part was melted.

The bar did leave some black marks on the outside of my door frame, but it mostly came off with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It could just be that the door wasn't the best construction (it was an apartment).

The bar held me fine (~150 pounds), and felt very sturdy. I've heard of other bars coming dislodged and falling on people, but this one felt completely secure.

The various grips were very nice, especially after a wrist injury made it hard for me to use the standard grips, so the sideways grips worked nicely. The only issue at all with the grips was that they left my hands smelling like the foam, but it easily washes off after use.

The resistance bands worked fine, and the extra attachments were a nice touch (I actually used the one for the door a few times and it worked fine). I've used the bands occasionally, and have never felt like they were going to break (and they haven't so far). The manual states not to stretch them more than 2.5 times their original length, so people having issues with them breaking might want to make sure they heed that warning.

Putting it together was pretty easy. The directions were one big picture, and made it pretty clear where everything went. Assembly didn't take too long either.

The bar goes into the door frame and comes down easily when you want it to, but never comes down unintentionally.

OVERALL: Yes, there are probably better chin-up bars and resistance bands out there, but if you're just looking for a decent bar and maybe some resistance bands to go with it, this one is a good bet. I read a lot of bad reviews about other chin-up bars before deciding on this one, and I'm happy to say that it didn't have any of the issues I read about with other bars.

See 1 answered question