4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful stuff, but short on storyline...
First of all, this is the first time that I got exposed to the story of Max and her "kin," so I am not familiar with the book series, but I have to say, this manga adaptation got me interested into looking at the whole series.

Published on February 17, 2009 by J. Gotangco

2.0 out of 5 stars If you haven't read the series, don't start w/ this.
Published on January 10, 2010 by L. Sommer

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful stuff, but short on storyline..., February 17, 2009
J. Gotangco (Quezon City, Philippines) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 1 (Paperback)

The manga is only 7 chapters long, and the whole book can be read in an hour or even less. That is the bad part because the next volume is scheduled on October 2009.

The good part is that the artwork of NaRae Lee is just breathtakingly beautiful. Sure the style is familiar, but the way she created each page along with the panels and pacing of the story is just great. I had to keep my eye a few minutes after reading each page just to enjoy the artwork further. The storyline of Maximum Ride is very western in style, but NaRae Lee was able to create a scene where the whole thing seems original and unique because of her style.

If you enjoy manga, do give this a chance. The story is intriguing but a bit predictable, but then its not so bad. The only real bad thing about this waiting for October for the next volume of the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars If you haven't read the series, don't start w/ this., January 10, 2010
This review is from: Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 1 (Paperback)
I've always been a big Maximum Ride fan, and was excited to read a Manga that actually re-accounted the book. The artwork is very good, however I did picture some of the characters a little different then it was drawn. The book just mainly covers the main plot. It's a very fast pace book, and if you haven't read Maximum Ride before, I don't recommend to start reading it from these books. Even reading the books I was glad to have some background knowledge on how the books were in order to get the plot. I can't believe how lost someone who has no knowledge of the series would get lost. I understand that this is a Manga book, so only so much plot can be put into this. However, back to the artwork, and the characters. Max is what - 14? and yet she could pass for twenty, and I'm not so happy with the way Fang came out. I never, pictured him with long hair that goes down almost to his feet, and I feel like his character is portrayed wrongly in the Manga. Don't get me started on Nudge she's what - 11 and she looks like she's 17 in the book with her big boobs.

Personally, if you haven't read the Maximum Ride series before, don't start with these. The artwork is good, minus the fact that the characters don't seem to be right to me. I expected more from this. I was finally excited to actually get a Manga book for one of my favorite books, but it wasn't what I thought.

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, March 30, 2009
This review is from: Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 1 (Paperback)
With beautiful illustrations by NaRae Lee, this adaptation of James Patterson's characters takes on a new and exciting life.

Fans of the Patterson series featuring Maximum Ride, the genetically manipulated bird girl and her family, are in for a treat with this Manga edition. Taking the adventures from the pages of his books, NaRae Lee brings the story alive with action and adventure.

Maximum and the other five bird children have been left alone for the past few years in a remote cabin in the middle of nowhere. They believe Jeb, their "father," is dead, so they've been left to fend for themselves. But the night Angel, the youngest of the six children, gets taken by the Erasers, the remaining five know they have to go and
rescue her.

She has most likely been taken back to the "School." The "School" is the most horrible place to the children and somewhere they never wanted to have to return. But they have to go for Angel; she's one of their own.

The children head out on a daring rescue attempt to save Angel. They encounter more Erasers and other hardships along the way. But not everyone is out to harm the special bird children. Max finds a friend in the most unlikely place. And when they finally reach Angel, the biggest surprise of all is waiting for the children.

To discover how the story plays out, pick up MAXIMUM RIDE: THE MANGA, VOL. 1. The pages will seemingly turn on their own accord. With little dialogue and mostly action, the story will appeal to almost all age groups.

If you haven't read the stories that the Manga is based upon, have no fear. The story is easy to follow, and before you know it, you'll be hooked and eager for Vol. 2!

Reviewed by: Jaglvr

5.0 out of 5 stars FrEaKiNg AwEsOmE, November 13, 2009
i just looooved this book! it follows the original plot fairly closely, and the artworkwas just fabulous! <3ed this book soooooooooooo much!

4.0 out of 5 stars I thought James Patterson wrote better than this, March 29, 2012
This review is from: Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 1 (Paperback)
The title of the review sounds worse than I mean it to, but in all honesty I thought since at our library we have a whole shelf dedicated to nothing but James Patterson books, I thought I was investing in a good read when I picked up Maximum Ride.

Now I know this is the manga form, but the manga follows the book in a very well drawn adaptation. After reading the manga I decided to pick up the actual book, because I felt that going into the manga, I was already supposed to know these characters and understand their relationships. The story just kinda throws you in the middle of things and you have to just go along with it. I felt like I was supposed to know and care about what happened to the eraser called Ari, but he just pops in the beginning of the story, we understand Max knew him as a child and the reason why he's suddenly a 6 foot something wolf-man isn't explained...for a few books. There's some things explained in the book that aren't in the manga, such as what happened to Iggy (which the manga never touches on) and the ages of the characters. Speaking on that, Max doesn't really come across as 14, Nudge doesn't seem 11, and Fang doesn't look a few months younger than Max, they could all, sans Angel and Gazzy, could pass for middle/late teenagers.

I was hoping that reading the book would feel a little more fluid but the manga stays true. The scenes are just as jumpy in the text as it is drawn, so if you feel like scenes were cut short, or it was nothing but action scene after action scene or things were coincidentally fixed or assisted with by side characters (ex. Ella and her mother), don't worry, the book's the same way. I will give a fair warning to those wanting to read the book anyway; it's in first person. This was the reason I thought a teens book by James Patterson (in both text and manga form) was an excellent idea, you know, to introduce me to his writing style. But I'm not really convinced by picking up this book.

The manga version however, makes the perspective a little easier to read. You're seeing things mostly from Max's point of view but sometimes (with added scenes not in the book), you get to see what's happening to the other characters as well, which is well needed to help the reader see and be with them during their character development.

All in all, the books are still fun to read, if not a little short. You can read through the volume in about an hour, one time I pushed through half of it in about 20 minutes before the library closed so I could check it in. But now with 5 volumes out, I suggest getting at least 2 or 3 volumes together before starting to read. The way the book ends, as another reviewer said, doesn't really feel like the manga could be a stand alone story.

So, the Pros:
Excellent story. Good characters that are unique and interesting, ranging from the silent type, to the one who always talks. A plot that leaves you wanting to know what's going to happen next and just why these characters were created.

Cons: The scenes are jumpy. You go from one scene to one scene. Granted, the kids are being hunted by this place called "The School", but it almost seems they can't be in one place for 15 minutes without being found by the Erasers, who don't really do much more than huff and puff and give them a scratch or two. For 'erasers' they aren't doing a very good job. So it would be wise to suspend some disbelief and just go with the flow.

Another thing I'd thought I'd touch on is the fact that, well, these kids have wings of about a 13 foot wingspan, and I still can't comprehend how the wings just 'disappear' when they're not flying. They simply hide them under their clothes but you see many a profile shot that looks like a perfectly normal back. There's even a scene later in the story where Nudge wears a sleeves shirt and there's no sign of wings. Other times, the wings somehow simply pop up through the clothing, or from under backpacks, so it's a little difficult to understand the physics of what's happening here. So...I just suggest going with it.

Either way, I feel the manga is a good way to dive into this story. Easy to read, the pictures are fairly close adaptations of the characters in the book, though I do wonder why Fang's hair is in a traditional 'anime' long ponytail (but don't worry, he gets it cut later and it stays that way.)

I'm not too good at leaving reviews, but I hoped this helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars great Maximum Ride graphic novel!, March 25, 2009
This review is from: Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 1 (Paperback)
this graphic novel is awesome! it follows the first part of The Angel Experiment, without leaving out any major details, and does it all with stunning visuals! the artist is talented and understands the story well. the characters' hair and wings are well drawn (my only complaint is, why is Fang's hair so long? it should be more like Iggy's , just black). the drawings bring the story and characters to life. hey, if the movie turns out to be crap, at least we fans have these beautiful graphic novels to enjoy.

i loved this first volume, and can't wait until Volume 2!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovable cast of mutant bird kids, a fast paced plot, well-done artwork, August 20, 2012
Setting:
(3/5) Nothing particularly special about the setting. It starts out where Max and Co. live, a secluded house in the middle of nowhere. The rest of the manga has them traveling to "The School" to save Angel. The School is where it gets interesting (setting wise), it's a secret laboratory of sorts where various experiments are done to create mutant humans. Our main characters in this series are some of these mutants, who have escaped The School years before.

Story:
(5/5) Like the novel series, the story is pretty fast-paced, but what I love about the manga series is that they didn't try to pack the entire novel into the manga, the manga instead is about half of the first novel. When they adapt novels into graphic novels/manga, usually the largest flaw is that it's pretty awkwardly done. They try to pack everything into the manga, which a lot of times means they have to leave out pretty crucial explanations and details. The end result is that only fans of novel series can truly enjoy the adaptations. I don't think that's the case with the Maximum Ride manga series. The story is about a group of kids who are avian-human hybrids (basically people with wings and some enhanced abilities). Years prior to the story, they escaped The School with the help of a scientist, and ever since than they thought that they could live their peaceful lives without any interference. However, when the youngest member of their group, Angel, is kidnapped, they know they're dead wrong and that The School wants them back. "The Flock" go on a journey to save Angel from The School.

Artwork:
(4/5) I loved all the characters designs! As someone who has read the novel series this is pretty spot on of how I imagined them. It looks like they stuck to giving Max blonde hair and brown eyes, because in the novel series her hair and eye colour kept changing. The art is very well-done and the panels flow perfectly. The only problem was that a couple of times, I thought that the expressions were off.

Main Character:
(5/5) Max is fourteen years old, and as the oldest, is the leader of the flock. I found her to be a motherly figure to the younger flock members and a sturdy leader for all the rest. She was nurturing, bossy and gave off a "tough" vibe. She does have her awkward moments and flaws, such as being rash. I believe Max was a great main character who I know I'll continue to enjoy as the manga moves on.

Characters:
(5/5) I loved the strong bond all the Flock shared with one another and their distinctive personalities and chemistry definitely promises more in the future. The rest of the Flock consists of:

Fang: Quiet and thoughtful, he's a little younger than Max.

Iggy: The same age as Max and Fang, he's blind although he doesn't act like it. He loves explosions just like Gassman.

Nudge: Nudge is pretty feminine and seems to want to be normal instead of a mutant bird kid.

The Gassman "Gazzy": A mischievous little boy, who always seems to get into trouble with his antics.

Angel: Gazzy's younger sister, she's a sweet little girl who has the power of telepathy and shares a strong bond with Max, Max particularly raised her ever since she was a baby.

Originality:
(4/5) People who's lives have been ruined and taken away from them because they were experiments done for a sinister purpose is not necessarily unheard of. But I loved that the Flock being avian-human hybrids was a big part of who they were, and the whole idea of their many enhanced abilities, different body structures, and of course their wings! As well as the Erasers, who are werewolves of sorts, that kidnapped Angel and hunt down the Flock throughout the manga to bring them back to The School.

Overall:
(25/30) A lovable cast of mutant bird kids, a fast paced plot, well-done artwork - this is a manga series I urge you to try! And in my opinion it's better than the novel series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing as usual!, February 20, 2012
This review is from: Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 1 (Paperback)
Maximum Ride is an amazing manga as well as novel. I actually started out with the manga and got addicted, I spended the rest of my birthday money on the books (omg, I just figured out there's a fifth... I know where I'll be tomorrow!) and enjoyed them just as much! My only complaint is Nudge, she's eleven and has boobs the size of a twenty year old! Anyways, great writing and drawings, the drawings were VERY detailed. They also portrayed the emotions of the characters amazingly. It took me a while *coughcoughTHIRDcoughVOLUMEcoughcough* to figure out Iggy is blind, I thought they were joking around in the beginning. Yes, I am that stupid. The book has some swear words, I do not recommend this for younger kids. It has bastard and damn, stuff like that in it. It has mild, mild, mild violence. To me, at least it does. Oh, by the way, do not mistake Fang as a girl, as I did. Overall, really good book.

Wow, I babbled a lot in that review... Oh no! I caught the Nudge!!! I know, stupid pun...

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked it O.K., January 23, 2012
Angela Reyes (NEWARK, NJ, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 1 (Paperback)
I actually picked this up at my local Barnes and Noble and read it in one sitting. I liked it ok for what it was, an adaptation of a novel. Keep in mind that I haven't read the original, so I'm just going off of this manga adaptation alone.

I liked it O.K. that's all it was. The pacing was a little bit odd in places, and the panels could have been arranged to make a bit more sense for me. the artwork, while nice, I had some trouble with, as I would often glaze over it, rather than take it in along with the wording. In some parts, I would be rather confused at how their wings would appear while they're flying and then suddenly disappear completely while not flying. Wings that big don't just 'go away'. That was a minor detail that did tend to have me distracted, and I'm sure probably could have been explained better. Honestly, the volume wasn't all THAT memorable, although most of the characters were.

All in all, it was a pretty neat read, but I found it lacking somehow. It didn't grip me in the way that I felt it could have to compel me to pick up the second part. Perhaps my biggest issue WAS the pacing. I might give the second volume a chance when I visit B&N next, if I can remember to...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, August 15, 2011
This review is from: Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 1 (Paperback)
the storyline is great, just as the characters and drawings. i bought this manga beacuse i wanted to read some manga but i wans't sure were to start, it came out perfectly. Im ordering the second book now, i havent read the novels so i cant tell how good is it conmparison, but if you havent read them either, your gonna like it. The delivery was exelent almost a week before the estimated arrival. 5/5

Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 1
Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 1 by James Patterson (Paperback - January 27, 2009)
$13.00