5.0 out of 5 stars Most useful backpack I have ever purchased
I bought this bag in 2009 from an Army Surplus store for more than they advertise here on Amazon. Worth every penny. I saw it in person before buying so the surprise was not the lack of size, it was the ACTUAL size once you filled her. This bag expands in just the right way to make everything from 72hrs worth of clothing to my 15 inch laptop fit.

The bag fits...
Published on October 17, 2011 by Airogue

Published on November 2, 2011 by Alberto Vargas

5.0 out of 5 stars Most useful backpack I have ever purchased, October 17, 2011
This review is from: Maxpedition Falcon-II Backpack (Sports)

The bag fits fully packed under the seat of a larger airliner. The load is comfortable, and with the external compression straps I've stuffed the bag but also held jackets, a tent and a water bottle. The Molle attachments are great because I can add additional compartments, bags, firearm magazine pouches.

I've been on multiple deployments and even more travels around the world with this bag and I do not fear it will ever break. The bottom is a rubberized/coated plastic and cordura. It does not have drainage holes. However, there is a water bladder pocket that is great for putting things you might fear could be pick pocketed or you want to hide, and it does have drain holes in case your bladder ruptures.

I also have carried this bag on my chest with a large duffel bag on my back comfortably. On the chest you can look over it just fine, and move your arms with no restrictions.

The only thing that annoys me at times but it's not a con in any way is the long straps. They provide a lot of extra strap material for "larger" guys. I'm not one of them so it just dangles and I have to tie it off every where. But I'd rather have too much than not enough.

If you are thinking of buying the 2289 COYOTE BROWN MEDIUM TRANSPORT PACK copy of this bag DON'T! This bag is worth the little extra cash. Would you risk your $1000 dollar computer in bag half this cost just to be sure at some point the bag will break and most likely when you least want it too. Don't skimp on this. Buy the Maxpedition if you want to know your bag will survive anything you throw at it.

I'm going to buy a second just for a Bug out bag to leave at home or in the car.

3.0 out of 5 stars great design for urban use but very stiff, and there are similar + cheaper alternatives, November 2, 2011
Alberto Vargas (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is one of the most widely copied backpack designs. I am aware of at least 4 different brands that sell versions or minor variations of this model. There is good reason for this: the organizational features and overall design of this bag are great. I myself initially bought a copycat Condor branded backpack from a store after being impressed by the design, without even being aware of the Maxpedition origin of this species. Unfortunately, when I decided to "upgrade" to the Maxpedition Falcon II, it fell short of my expectations. In fact, to my humble taste it seems the student has surpassed the master in this case.

What's good about this bag (and its derivatives):

- stays compact and keeps its rectangular shape
- 3 zippered storage layers with mesh pockets inside + hydration bladder pocket give you plenty of ways to organize gear
- great for carrying flat items like books, laptops and other electronics
- sternum and waist straps are removable (which is a plus on small packs)
- Y-strap on top can be used to strap a jacket or something bulky outside the pack
- MOLLE webbing for attaching all sorts of things to the outside of the pack or on the shoulder straps: bicycle lights, carabiners, storage pouches, etc.
- the three storage layers can be compressed or expanded using straps on the side, so the pack is never shapeless
- seemingly indestructible and water resistant fabric

What's not very good:

- small, not enough volume for extended trips or bulky items
- nothing is accessible from the outside as you are wearing the bag, unlike on hiking backpacks; there are no open-top or side pockets for water bottles, snacks, cameras, or other junk
- the Y-strap, although useful, also gets in the way of opening the zippered compartments (but you can leave it undone)
- a little heavy for its size
- not a hiking pack in my book, more of an urban or travel pack
- when full, the pack bulges out in a way that makes it thicker than it is narrow (hard to imagine it from photos, it looks very unusual) - this is not bad, in fact I like this quirk, but other people also tend to notice the strange shape

Where this pack falls short of the Condor copy:

- fabric is way too stiff and loud when in contact with something else
- zippers are smaller and look flimsier
- shoulder padding is less
- less MOLLE on the shoulder straps = fewer options for attaching useful items there
- stitches on the black model are light in color, showing off the MOLLE and making the bag look less discreet
- loose straps and webbing, longer than needed, especially on the bottom (manageable, but why have to deal with it in the first place?)
- there is a (second) pair of extraneous straps on the side which make it hard to open the main and middle layers (unless you keep buckling and unbuckling them, which gets annoying)
- some really sharp stitches, especially on the carrying handle on top - what were they thinking?
- the hole for the hydration hose on top is closed with a velcro tab which is also very stiff and sharp right next to your hand on the carrying handle
- because it is so stiff, it is harder to cram things into this bag than into one made from softer fabric
- the small zippered pocket on the top outermost layer has a single instead of double zipper (really nitpicking here)
- the Maxpedition logo stands out; I prefer bags without logos like the Condor brand - more discreet and less of a theft invitation

I decided to buy the Condor by first playing with it in a store. I got this Maxpedition Falcon online, but I would not have bought it if I had been able to examine it in person and compare with the Condor version, both in functionality and price. (Confusingly enough, Maxpedition makes a backpack called Condor - I am not referring to it but rather to the one made by a Condor brand.)

The Maxpedition Falcon II is a good pack, but in my opinion not worth the asking price given that you can find something very similar (and arguably improved) for half the price or even less. It just depends on what you have used before and what you expect. If you are not set on this exact model and look, try also 5.11 RUSH, Camelbak Linchpin, or something even fancier and pricier from Mystery Ranch.

Make sure you can examine the specific bag you want in person before you buy because there are wide variations in quality between brands even if they all look like this on photos (by the way, the selling point of Maxpedition is that they are normally very well put together) I know this review will be controversial because this pack has many fans, so I invite you to check out this and other bags in person before getting sucked into the hype found in online reviews.

All this said, I am being overly critical here of a great backpack. Most packs can only dream of being that well designed :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection!!!, February 22, 2012
This review is from: Maxpedition Falcon-II Backpack (Sports)
I am a Brazilian biologist/researcher and work with jaguar conservation both in office and field. I need a backpack that meet the needs of both environments and is tough enough to get the job done. In the past years I've tried many models, sizes, brands and until now never got one that fits. One time it's way too big or have the correct size but only one division making everything inside a mess. Another don't fits a computer inside or fits and do not have a proper division for it mixing computer and equipment...

Now: this backpack is PERFECT!!!
- It has as many divisions as it has to: no more, no less;
- It fits everything you need in the office;
- It fits everything you need to field work;
- It doesn't mix your stuff;
- It has many places for pencils, notebooks, documents, and things like hard drives, wires and small gear;
- It doesn't mix the camelback with your stuff;
- It has MOLLE supports;
- The size is just perfect (some people may think it is small, but experience shows that if you have a backpack with the size of a house, you will bring a house to field work...).
And many other details that my poor English make it hard to describe.

Anyway, I'm more than happy with this backpack. If you want something with quality, perfect size that allows you to use it on your daily activities and in expeditions as well: this is your backpack!!!
I am thinking in get another one, just to make sure I will have it for as many years as I need...

5.0 out of 5 stars Maxpedition Falcon-II Backpack, January 26, 2012
An outstanding medium sized backpack. Been using cloned versions of various backpacks out here in Afghanistan that are made in Pakistan or where ever they are made and they are pure garbage. Zippers break, straps and stitching fall apart, been through 5-6 packs during the last year or so. I could tell the quality of this pack just from unboxing it today. The material is heavy duty and pretty stiff, it should soften up a bit through use.

Will provide updated feedback in a few weeks to let you know how it holds up, but initial feelings are this pack will be with me for a long time and if you are thinking about getting one, I say go for it.

**UPDATE** Just over a year old and the Backpack is still going strong and hoding together just fine. The material is still stiff but has broken in just a bit. I have used this pack this past year walking back and forth to work everyday, sun/rain/snow/dust storms etc and it still looks brand new. Even used it as a carry on from my Dubai/Seattle flights stuffed to the gills.

Every zipper and every seam is holding together and there is not one sign of fraying or seperating. I would have been thru 2-3 clone packs by now. This is one of the smartest purchases I have made. Looking forward to more years together with this guy for sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars really like this pack., November 20, 2010
Aaron (United States) - See all my reviews
4.5 because of the the price, but may consider five stars. Very functional, well-fitting backpack- seems well-made. I could cross country ski in this bag if I wanted to, because it doesn't restrict my arm movement at all, I am pretty sure Maxpedition guarantees their bags for life, and it feels like it when you hold it.

I was hesitant about a "Foliage Green" bag, but surprisingly happy with the color- my wife thought it was grey. it looks a little greyish, green. The buckles have a definite greenish color, while the webbing is a little more towards beige. I don't know how else to describe the color.

* I added some pics to give you some better views of this pack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rides great, flexible load capability., June 1, 2010
This pack rides great. Very comfortable, even packed to the gills. It's my go-to day pack now, and hope to take it out on some 24-48hr stints, I think it's capable.

Like all maxpedition products, it's tough as nails. Buy once, cry once. Know that it's a piece of kit you can rely on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great All Around Pack, November 22, 2011
To be honest when I first saw the Falcon II I did not like it. It was expensive for such a small pack and the design seemed to be too narrow which resulted in the pack sticking out far from the back when fully loaded. Compare that to my other back packs that are wider, and the stay lower to the back because of the wider distribution of the pack. However that changed when an Army buddy showed me a knock off version of the Falcon II. It was a knockoff but it had the same dimensions and a very similar design. What I liked about the Falcon II from there was that it's narrow body allowed for full arm movements, something that comes in handy when doing physical activity. So to make a long story short I bought the Falcon II and it's been great so far, I've been using it for three days. It's small size has allowed me to use it carry some essential gear, and any space I don't use can be compressed down to keep the weight from shifting as much. I went running, hiking with it, and it it rides comfortably on the back. It's small size makes maneuvering through brushes a lot easier than my larger Camelbak BFM. Also I tested the durability by doing a 200 meter slide down the face of a mountain I was hiking on. (I wanted to take a short cut down the mountain) It had no problems going through bushes, getting scrapped by tress, or just being dragged down the mountain. At the end of the trip it had just a touch of mud on it, easy to clean off. Great job! There are two minor complaints I have at this point with the Falcon II. One, is the straps. They are very stiff which makes it difficult to adjust, and there is very little to control them with. I used some Web Dominators to keep them very flapping around but they should have something like elastic bands or something included. Not only are uncontrolled straps ugly but it can be dangerous too. The other complaint,and it's minor is that the water reservoir pocket does not fully open. This makes inserting/removing a Camelbak style water bladder difficult. Some notes. I'm not a fan of Asian made backpacks or other "tactical" gear, but Maxpedition has such a good reputaion that I decided to try them out, and so far I'm very pleased. Keep in mind Maxpedition stuff is not exactly "Milspec" (For example, they use plastic D rings, instead of the military metal ones) but Maxpedition stuff still seems good for what it needs to do. If you want the military grade or made/assembled in the USA stuff check out Spec Ops, SO Tech, and Camelbak. All these brands are readily available to the average consumer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Falcon II, May 2, 2012
Okay...continuing on with my "Hit or Miss" style of reviewing..For the overall bag it is a hit. It is well constructed, durable and a good quality design. To say a quote from Paul Harvey, "and now the rest of the story". If you a a big guy like I am, it is a miss(over 6' tall 300lbs, that's the size of an NFL lineman)...this bag looks like a kids book bag on your back. Listen to the other reviews when they say "this is a small bag" cause it is. I purchased it for a kit for my car so in that context it's a great bag and will fulfill it's purpose as a tool and small "stranded in the middle of nowhere" kit. So the bottom line...as a stand alone bug out bag...get a bigger bag. If you are a big guy...get a bigger bag. If your a medium to small stature or use this just for a vehicle preparedness bag...this is the bag for you. Hope this helps. Cheers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best quality pack I have ever owned!, December 7, 2011
So many speak of this pack as being on the small size. What's wrong with that? Not everyone is 6'4" and built to carry 100 Lbs on ther back for extended periods of time. This pack is QUALITY!! You are getting what you pay for. I use this in conjunction with the Maxpidition Jumbo Versapc and I can carry everything my dog and I need in a Bug Out situation. Sure you can't jam multiple changes of clothes and other luxuries in this type of situation but you can take what you need and isn't that why you have it? For general camping over a weekend, it holds EVERYTHING I need including the ability to strap on a tent and sleeping bag (with mat) without being enormous and bulky.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Backpack, October 4, 2011
I bought this backpack right before I left for Europe for 2 weeks. I bought the Khaki/Foliage Green bag and was impressed with how good it looks. After seeing it at first glance I thought I wasn't going to be able to fit that much inside. I was wrong. I was able to pack two pairs of pants, 10 shirts, 1 jacket, and plenty of socks and underwear for 14 days. Along with 2 books with maps, my camelbak (which has its own pocket), and other basic necessities. The clips along the side make it easy to tighten down and compress the overall size of the bag. It was very easy to carry around, not putting a ton of weight on my shoulders. My girlfriend brought her Jansport hiking backpack with us and it was more bulky and uncomfortable to carry. I would recommend this bag to anyone that goes hiking or travels with a backpack.

Maxpedition Falcon-II Backpack (Black)
$162.99 $134.24