5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product - tons of use
**Edit - update -2011
I traded away my Remora and went without a decent small bag for some time. I looked around a lot...but ended up just re-buying another Remora. I need a small bag when I am away from my EDC backpack.

Published on December 14, 2009 by solocanoe

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, Just Over-Priced/Under-Featured
Published on March 27, 2012 by J.Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product - tons of use, December 14, 2009
solocanoe (fort smith, ar) - See all my reviews
**Edit - update -2011

My #1 plan is going to my son's baseball games and still wanting some 'stuff' with me...but not wanting to (or being able to at some places) to carry in my RUSH 24 backpack. A water bottle, wallet, phone, some bug spray and suncreen, gum, stuff like that...and still have room for the camcorder...this bag will be perfect for that and will remain 'ready' to go inside my backpack.

Re-reading the review I posted it's funny - I WAS sold on the single strap..when I had the Remora - it kept the size/weight down. I ended up moving past the Sitka and to a full backpack where I'm happy. Then I'll pull out this little guy for the times when it fits. **edit over

I have carried this most all of 2009. A Maxpedtion Fatboy Versipack hangs unused in my closet - not enough room for stuff, and A Jumbo Versipack is in my truck loaded up with stuff I want in there...the funny thing is, I can ALMOST get everything from the jumbo into this much-easier-to-carry-Remora. The inside will hold a camelback bottle (tall wise) and the many pocket organzier places make it easy to put lots of stuff "in it's own place" without having to use extra organizers.

It rides pretty flat when you don't have a lot in it - and it expands like crazy when you need to stuff it. Well, crazy for it's size, anyway.

The Molle attacments make this easy to add stuff on all 3 sides. I have put on my Maxpedition M-2 pack, when it needed to move "outside" the pack to make room for something in the middle. A couple Molle straps carried inside make this an easy fix.

The shoulder strap is pure genious how it comes off and folds into the CCW pocket on the back - at that point you have a small handbag, but the strap is there is you need it. I've carried my Glock in the back (yes, I have a permit) but really I always felt better with it inside, if not on me. The internal loop field makes it easy to attach a holster, extra mag carriers, etc.. or anything with hook and loop attachment stuff.

Just recently I wanted to start carrying a bit more with me daily than the Remora - so I've moved up to the Maxpedtion Sitka Gearslinger, but my Remora isn't going anywhere and it's a great bag that held up to over a year of carrying stuff to my kids events which seems to go year 'round now with all the traveling sports we do.

I have it in black and even after a dusty day on a ballfield in August, I can usually just beat on it a few times and the dust goes flying off and it looks just fine. I have washed it a couple times (spilled something in it once) and it's been great. No fraying, no tears, very sturdy.

I am sold on the Gearslinger concept too - Either shoulder, cross body, backpack or on the side as a man-purse...very handy to be able to choose how to carry - not to mention I don't have to take it off riding on a ride at Disney, getting in/out of a cab or booth at resturant. Who wants to walk off and leave the video camera, or tickets, or whatever you are carrying?! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Maxpedition Remora Gearslinger, February 2, 2010
This review is from: Maxpedition Remora Gearslinger (Electronics)
The Maxpedition Remora Gearslinger is a top quality product from Maxpedition. If you are looking for a small, rugged, well designed, extremely strong and durable product then look no further than Maxpedition. They offer lots of gear that is some of the best around. The Remora is Maxpeditions smallest pack in the Gearslinger series. It is made from 1000-Denier water and abrasion resistant light-weight ballistic nylon fabric which is durable and strong. The YKK #10 zippers are strong, dependable and function flawlessly.

I used the Remora regularly as my Every Day Carry (EDC) bag but it was a little to small for me as it holds about 225 cubic inches of gear. I eventually moved up to the Lunada Gearslinger which holds about 390 cubic inches of gear. The shoulder strap is adjustable and can be used on either shoulder which helps to reduce shoulder fatigue.

The main and rear compartments have loop fields for attaching internal CCW accessories. The Remora is "low key" which provides good usability as a CCW platform. The main compartment is large enough to store must need items but remember you are limited to 225 cubic inches. There is also a front pocket and a front slip pocket to fit other smaller items that you may need.

Maxpedition products are designed for hard use, durability and a long product life. Many of the other larger companies cannot and do not match the quality of Maxpedition. I highly recommend Maxpedition products.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, Just Over-Priced/Under-Featured, March 27, 2012
This review is from: Maxpedition Remora Gearslinger (Electronics)
Given the amount of overwhelmingly positive reviews I came across for this bag and Maxpedition products in general, my expectations were very high. It has occurred to me that perhaps those expectations were set TOO high, but given the high price of these bags, it seems a fair request that they be met. I like to believe that you get what you pay for, and I always err on the more expensive side if it gets me noticably higher quality. People rave about the quality of Maxpedition bags, and I will say that the material itself seems very tough, but the accuracy and precision in the stitching is nothing impressive - several areas of stitching are pretty sloppy and misaligned. For instance, the lowest row of molle webbing on the left side of my bag is super crooked and not parallel with the rows above it - no excuse for that. There just doesn't appear to be a proportional quality increase over other equivalent products that are 30-50% cheaper. The Maxpedition Remora has an MSRP of 90$, and in my opinion that's asking a lot, especially for a bag as small and simple as this one that is made in Asia. Guys who are concerned that wearing this "murse" might be a bit emasculating should honestly be MORE embarassed to admit how much they paid for it. Men like to poke fun at women who buy expensive designer handbags, and I never really understood it either...that is until I bought the Remora. So really the only "girly" thing to be concerned about here is having to admit to spending near of 100$ on a tactical purse. Thankfully Amazon is cool enough to sell it for 20$ less than MSRP and with free shipping too; that helps relieve some of the sting. Is this bag worth the full 90$? I would say not at all. Is it worth 70$? I would say hardly, or perhaps just barely. In my opinion these should cost about 60$, and I can't believe they sell elsewhere for more than 80$.

But I can't fault the bag too much on its function/design as it doesn't really claim to be something that it's not. It's a simple little bag that you can adequately carry in a bunch of different ways, and that's it. It doesn't have that many compartments/pockets, because it doesn't really have room for them externally, however internal organization is lacking. Overall, it's roughly 10" tall, 7.5" wide and 4" deep front to back. If firearm-carry interests you, the flaps even in the main compartment are "barely" large enough to comfortably fit a full-sized handgun, so it's not quite false advertisement or anything, but I found it awkward. Admittedly I don't have that hook/loop holster Maxpedition sells as an accessory, so that may help a lot to make firearm stowing less awkward, but if that's the case it should have been included with the bag (though I didn't buy it mainly for firearm carrying). The rear pocket flap with loop-field that rides against your back has been mentioned in other reviews as another concealed-carry pocket. I personally don't see it. Any firearm you could effectively conceal in that pocket flap, would be small enough to carry in an IWB holster without issue. Most "compacts", and certainly full size pistols, will stick out of the pocket a bit. How "concealed" is that? I personally would not feel comfortable with anything overly valuable (or even 3-dimensional) riding in that pocket, especially not a firearm. The pocket isn't even that easy to access in the standard over-the-shoulder carry mode. When you swing the bag from your back to your chest (which works quite well), the pocket opening (top of the bag) is facing to your right and is blocked by the wide shoulder strap pad. It is not all that easy/quick to get into there. I'd prefer to only keep flatter objects of low value and/or priority in that pocket, because most of the time it will be pressed up against your body and out of the way. I am glad it's there though, since the Remora needs all of the storage space it can get. A good idea may be to buy the micro hook/loop organizer and stick it in that rear pocket, which lacks dividers etc. Some of those additional organizational accessories might help perfect the Remora, but it's a shame you're forced to throw that much more money at it. I was considering the Lunada instead but was stuck on the idea that "smaller/simpler is better", and then I read a review that the long/wide shoulder strap section at the top of the Lunada can chafe one's neck. Well if you put enough weight into the Remora, it will do that too. At first I thought I should buy the 2" shoulder pad for it, but found an Under Armour chin strap pad of all things lying around and it slid over the strap nicely and softens the strap edge where it hits the neck (Nice!). So I forgot about the shoulder strap, but the bag could still use some form of internal organizer, and perhaps a mini-rolly poly for a water bottle. Just those two items are what, another 35-40$? You caught me in your trap Maxpedition....Don't get me wrong I still do like the Remora, and it is basically what I was looking for, but I think it will need those extra accessories before it's "ideal". Given the price of this bag, it really should have come with a few accessories or more internal organization areas. If I end up getting those accessories, I could see myself transferring them over to a different bag one day. I don't want to write off Maxpedition products in general, but I'm convinced their bags/packs at least are overrated and over-priced. I just wanted to be entirely honest in my review and point out those less-than-ideal aspects/features of this bag that no one else seems to have noticed or reported.

Also, I can confidently claim that I didn't just receive a "lemon", because the first Remora I ordered from Amazon had enough stitching issues that I returned it for another. The second bag I got was even worse with some edging on the bottom of the bag coming completely undone. The third bag I got (from a local source) was decent enough, with no "major" flaws, but still some areas of sloppy construction/stitching as previously mentioned.

5.0 out of 5 stars comfortable and convenient, August 31, 2011
This review is from: Maxpedition Remora Gearslinger (Electronics)
This bag was a little smaller than I pictured it (my fault -- the dimensions were clearly stated). It's a nice size for basic EDC (including a basic RC first aid kit,and a fairly bulky "space blanket" in addition to the usual knife, flashlight, etc.) but not a lot of room for unexpected extra stuff, so don't expect to go shopping for boots and carry them home in your remora.

For EDC and short hikes, though, it's brilliant. I'm barely aware that it's there.I It rides high, and therefore stays put through movement better than some sling packs do. There's a quick release buckle, which makes it easy to get out of, and the support system is designed to allow for either left or right carry. One of the features I like is that it's designed so that you can slide it easily to the front, where it rides as a chest pack, and also gives you limited bus useful quick access to the contents without removing the pack. I love mine for hiking, but since I'm not hiking every day, I also like the quick shift to the front if I need to sit on a bench or bus seat.

I'm not super excited about the drain holes. They'd be nice if you had to actually go swimming with one, but how often is that likely to happen? In practical EDC use, the holes mean you have to be careful not to set the pack down on a wet surface, so as soon as I get one of those "round tuits" I'll be covering up the drain holes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best gear bag for a MAN!, November 10, 2010
I have to say that I carry concealed, and determined the main reason i purchased this everyday bag. It has enough compartments to store stuff on an "as needed basis" meaning stuff you access quite a bit, the front 2 pockets are easy to get into, and the stuff you just keep with you can go in the big one and accessed as needed.

The concealed carry holster, an option you need to purchase separately if you plan on carrying, is an ingenious little piece of velcro that adjusts to hold any size firearm from 22- 45 discreetly.

The material is all ripstop, and I have never had an issue with tearing or zipper malfunction, however the little ties that come in the zippers tend to come un-tied sometimes, but its no big deal.

The bag is an over the shoulder cross carry bag that adjusts from tight enough to run with to loose enough to carry everyday.

Its this man's man-bag of choice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Small carry, large capacity, April 7, 2013
The Maxpedition Remora Gearsling far exceeded my expectations in terms of small overall size (what I was looking for in an every day carry pack), lightweightedness, carrying capacity, and rugged appearance & craftsmanship. It fits comfortably on one's back with the strap coming across either the left or right shoulder (the position of the sling can be adjusted for right- or left-sided carry; length can also be adjusted). Zippers are ultra heavy duty, and I expect them not to fail for quite some time. The main storage compartment is huge - larger than you would think judging by the size of the pack. I fit a paper back book, a small can of WD-40, and a host of various other small items in there, but, if desired, a whole hearty packed lunch could be easily packed - with room for another can of WD.

My pack is highly customized, granted, and I have attached (via 3" tac-ties)two accessory pouches via MOLLE webbing. These pouches include Maxpedition's:
- Surgical Glove Pouch (attached to the front)
- Mini Pocket Organizer (attached to the side)

In order to demonstrate the capacity of this superb pack, here is a list of the items which have found a place within or atop its pouchy confines:

- 2 rechargable 18650 batteries
- Magnesium Fire Starter
- 5 plastic zip ties - 8"
- One Blood-Type Lacer(TM), A Positive
- Maxpedition 2" Shoulder Pad
- Rite in the Rain Notepad
- PowerPax Storacell AA and AAA battery caddies
- Nite Ize SpotLit LED clip-on light
- Gerber Shard keychain tool
- CRKT Eat-n Tool
- Silver Gripper Tweezers
- Chainmate 24-inch pocket chain saw (not shown in pictures)
- 4x CR2016 Batteries (also not shown in pictures)
- Various Patches
- P-51 Can Opener
- Chap Stick
- Zippo Fuel Canister
- Zippo lighter + two wicks + Flint dispenser
- Maxpedition Tactical Playing Cards
- 100 ft of woven paracord, olive drab
- 1 Sharpie marker and 1 black ballpoint pen
- Duct tape and electrical tape, wrapped around pieces of cardboard (for weight and size reduction)
- ZT0121 knife - my pride and joy
- Flashdrive
- FireSteel fire starter
- Small tape measurer
- Small can of WD-40
- 2 tan Grimloc carabiners (one on either side of my surgical gloves pouch)
- Small Mammals of North America field book (paperback, 248 pages)
- Glow in the dark zipper pull ends (one for each zipper pull)

Hope this helps!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Matt, July 26, 2013
Perfect size for my ipad mini. Carries ipad, keys, headphones, wallet, flashlight, extra mag and my glock 27 or 30 with ease. I use both the back pocket and main inside pocket for my ccw depending on the situation. I recommend the SNEAK holster for proper weapon retention.

4.0 out of 5 stars Maxpedition Remora, March 22, 2012
Speaking as someone who inevitably leaves the house every day with more than he can can carry, this a good bag for that. It's on the small side for what I need but i've tried many and this one works well. Take my advise, if you're looking to buy one of these, the picture can be misleading. " The Shoulder Strap Pad Does Not Come With It "! Don't make the same mistake I did and suffer without it until you can get one. Bundle it with the initial order and save on shipping. No matter how many times I adjust the strap it just wants to bunch my shirt up but that's merely an annoyance. This bag doesn't work well if you just want to throw it over one shoulder but if you wear it cross shoulder as it is meant to...it's very stable. It's made to hang off your back instead of at your side where your arm would brush against it with every stride. I like that. The shoulder strap will dig in to your neck a little but I've found it manageable. There are many Elastic Strips around it for for attaching things and the only limit is your imagination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mine Is Awesome, July 17, 2013
Murse or Man Purse...... whatever... It's badass for sure. I want another one, or maybe two more. #1 Urban / Vacation Bag.... #2 Wilderness Survival..... #3 Fight-Light Combat Pack. That would be sweet.

Don't know what the problem the one guy had with his bag, maybe he is a plant because there is a cheap knock-off of this Remora that is out there. Mine is perfect, no problems at all.

Very happy, this bag is everything I wanted it to be!

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT Gearslinger ("Go-Bag") for the Galaxy Tab..., March 4, 2011
This review is from: Maxpedition Remora Gearslinger (Electronics)
This Remora Gearslinger bag is currently the smallest bag from Maxpedition, but it is still packed with features worthy of the Maxpedition name. I purchased this bag to be a carryall bag for my Samsung Galaxy Tab and accessories. I completely agree with the other five-star Reviewers in regards to the features of this Gearslinger bag. It's a perfect fit for a 7" to 8" tablet/digital reader while you're on the move. Bravo Zulu (Good Job), Maxpedition!

Maxpedition Remora Gearslinger