Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Maxtor L01P160 7200 RPM 160 GB Internal Hard Drive
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on June 24, 2003
Got this drive to stuff into my computer so I'd have enough storage space for my new video editing hobby. Installation was a snap, although people with older computers/operating systems might need a separate ATA/133 controller to take advantage of the full capacity/speed of the drive. Once I remembered how to pop the cover off my computer, I had the drive in and my system up in about 15 minutes (with 5 spent removing a CD drive).
The included manual covers installation pretty well, and lists requirements for Windows and Mac systems. All the hardware needed for installation is included (screws, IDE ribbon cable), although if you're mounting in a 5 1/4" bay, you'll need a mounting bracket if you don't already have one. An included CD contains installation software and hard drive utilities that let you partition your drive and perform disk to disk copies. The software also lets you create backup copies of the MBR (Master Boot Record) for safe keeping.
Formatted capacity is 153GB according to Windows, and took about 45 minutes. Access speed is fast, and the drive is pretty quiet. Noise from the heads flicking about is audible, but not distracting.
on September 29, 2004
Wait until you have problems with a Maxtor drive. Their tech support is lousy and their customer service is even worse. Forget their warranty, you can do better with Western Digital, Seagate or Hitachi.
on February 11, 2004
So far everything has worked right. This was the first time I installed a new hard drive. I used the instruction manual from Sony for my VAIO Digital Studio computer I got in '01. The Manual was available online. I followed Sony's instructions, and used the Windows XP Utility from the Computer Management Link on my computer, and although it took near an hour to format, it works, too early to say how well, but all appears to be operating in acceptible parameters. Only complaint is occasional noises of the spindle moving. Not sure whether this is normal. It is louder than the 60G original hard drive(master), but with this drive's sheer size, the occasional noise seems to be normal. So far so good. [Two Months Later]This hard drive has perfomed very well; the spindle noise has left , and the access time is incredibly fast. Highly recommeded.
on November 18, 2003
The technical specifications indicate an ATA133 IDE controller card is included in the box. It is not!
In the box: Hard drive, MaxBlast installation software, Ultra ATA cable, ***NO*** Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 card for Windows, user's manual (English only), and screws
on March 5, 2003
This drive is great easy to install. For a price of $149 after rebate it's the cheapest I've found anywhere.
on June 13, 2003
I'm writing this after being up half the night troubleshooting the installation of this drive. The drive itself works fine but the MaxBlast3 software is worthless. In the accompanying documentation, Maxtor "strongly recommends" that you format and partition the drive with MaxBlast3 instead of using Win XP's disk management utility.I did as they recommended and encountered the following problems:1) the program would not run from within Windows2) the program did run after I booted from the Maxtor CD, but after it formatted and supposedly copied my old boot drive onto the new partition the partition was unreadable (I checked it from within Windows after booting from my original drive, and it was impossible to boot from it after I had laboriously reconfigured my drives, jumpers, cables etc.)3) So after reinstalling a couple of times and rereading all the documentation several times, always with the same result, I went to the support section of the Maxtor website and, lo and behold, 2 days ago they updated their FAQ for this installation to declare that you should install the drive using the Windows XP disk management utility." Exactly the opposite of what the accompanying manuals said. This also meant that although I was able to format and partition the drive I was not able to copy my old boot drive onto the new partition which Maxtor claimed you could do with their software.4) Also, if you don't need the ultra ATA 133 card (my motherboard supports ATA 133 already) I advise you not to install the card. I tried it out and it caused problems with my sound card.So, to sum up, the software doesn't work and the free ATA card is problematic but the drive seems to work fine.I have several Maxtor drives on various machines mostly because they tend to be cheaper (I got this drive for $... after rebates) and they have always worked fine, but next time I need a new hard disk I'm seriously thinking about going with Western Digital and just paying the extra bucks.
on February 3, 2004
I found myself into a hotdeal forum, a deal I could not resist. a 160GB maxtor drive with 8MB cache for $90 not rebates to deal with or taxes additional. That sounds really cheap right, well the drive works fine I follow the CD instructions and got it set up in about 30 minutes. BTW I bough two of then just to create a mirror 160GB drive on one of my server at work. Hope you guys look up deals like this online.
on January 23, 2005
Coming off of a catastrophic failure on my Seagate drive I decided to give Maxstor a shot. I just installed the Maxstor drive with a Fresh Windows Xp professional installation, starting everything from scratch. Installation was easy and straightforward. I do not see that this drive runs any hotter than others made by Seagate, WD, etc certainly no hotter than the Seagate Baraccuda drive it replaced.

This is drive is fairly fast, quiet and easy to install, at least if it's a fresh install and not an upgrade of an oldish operating system that doesn't support > 137 Gb partitions. I suspect most issues people are experiencing are related to trying to break the 137 Gb barrier with an old OS.

Price was unbeatable at < $89.99 (less a $30 rebate at ofice depot). Price was good enough to buy two and use the second and an on board daily backup drive.
on August 14, 2003
Just received my new 160gb drive. This is my third Maxtor drive. Each drive has worked wonderfully right out of the box. The negative reviews are from non-technical users. If you are not familiar with partitioning a drive, jumpers, data transfer, boot sectors, etc. than get a technician to install this for you. I am using this drive for mass video editing and it is a wonderful addition to my system. Also, the max-blast software is for non-techies, I have never used this software to install a drive. This is a great value from Amazon/Office Depot at less than [money maount] per GIG! Absolutely amazing.
on November 22, 2005
I had the 180 gig version of this drive. It worked perfectly for about 9 months. Then it crashed and by crashed I mean it "lost it's formatting" and I could no longer access the data saved on it. I am reluctant to blame this on Maxtor because it happened just after a power outage (and I was using a cheapo surge protector... my bad). Customer service was helpful and they offered to replace it for me. Still waiting on the data recovery though.