5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Maxwell
Published on May 8, 2007 by JN

3.0 out of 5 stars Insightful
Published on December 25, 2005 by SL

3.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, December 25, 2005
This review is from: Maxwell 3-in-1 Special Edition (The Winning Attitude / Developing the Leaders Around You / Becoming a Person of Influence) (Hardcover)
These are the first books by John Maxwell that I have read. After I bought the collection of 3 books, I examined the inside of the cover page (I have this habit of reading the copyright page) and was surprised to find that there is reference of scriptures found in the Bible. I was not aware that John Maxwell is a church leader and devout Christian. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly surprised that the books are as relevant to a church leader and to a leader in any realm.

As I am not well-versed with the stories of the Bible, I found the first book- The Winning Attitude, more difficult to relate as it has frequent references to biblical stories. The essence of the book is simple- attitude is the determinant in the success of anyone- whether in work or personal life.

I thoroughly enjoyed the second book- Developing Leaders Around You. It is one of the most clearly-written book on leadership. Do not let the title deceive you. It could be a great guide on how to a great leader including how to be a confident leader and what are the do's and don'ts. It confirms some of my own thoughts on why some leaders fail. The book is especially good for new leaders and for those who are already "leaders" and want to a true leader. I find the section on delegation - why leaders do not delegate, very useful. All aspiring leaders and existing leaders should read this book and practise the teachings. On a standalone basis, I would rate it "5".

When I went to the third book, call it Maxwell fatigue, I find that the structure of this book follows too closely to that of the second and thus, I skipped some parts. It could be that the second book had taught me so much about leadership and this book on influencing people seems a regurgitation.

I will take a few days away from Maxwell's books but will return to read the others- starting with Developing the Leader Within You and I hope it will be as rewarding as the second book in this collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Maxwell, May 8, 2007
JN (Global in Life and Work) - See all my reviews
I am reviewing Maxwell's book because he does write insightfully and has given to me useful answers when dealing with organizational or leadership challenges. In this 3-books-in-1 volume, there is repetition of the most-important points of his tenure as a leadership trainer. Favorite quotes: "-In most cases, those who want power probably shouldn't have it, those who enjoy it probably do so for the wrong reasons, and those who want most to hold on to it don't understand that it's only temporary. " And, "Being an influencer means....

modeling integrity with everyone you come into contact with.

nurturing the people in you life to make them feel valued.

showing faith in other so that they believe in themselves.

listening to them so that you can build your relationship with them.

understanding them so that you can help them achieve their dreams.

enlarging them in order to increase their potential.

navigating them through life's difficulties until they can do it themselves.

connecting with them so that you can move them to a higher level.

empowering them to become the person they were created to be.

reproducing other leaders so that your influence continues to grow through others." pg 209.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking Leadership to the Max!, October 20, 2008
I mean this was the vest buy of '08! This book has already changed my life for the better, by improving my communicating skills and by developing my psyche to tackle the day to day. I read the Bible daily and I get a great deal from these treasures as well; awesome compliments. If you are a coach, a teacher/instructor, in any position of power you NEED this book! I think that anyone who gains financial gains from these teachings that they should give a percentage of that to Mr. John C. Maxwell, that's how convinced I am and thankful as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are stranded on an island- this is the book to take!, March 31, 2008
John Maxwell is ranked by Harvard University as America's #1 leadership expert and this book is a combination of his greatest insights and leadership application principles from several of his best selling books. If you are stranded on an island and can only take one book with you, take this one because by the time you finish reading through it, you'll have gained an MBA level of insight into practical ways to lead others with clear perspective and personal power.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and Uplifting,, September 23, 2007
I have never read a book that uplifting, when I am on my worst moments for that day I pick up that book and it takes me some where else, even takes me to the bible to look up motivational readings. It has trully changed my way of thinking. I love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, June 20, 2013
I didn't like the first book, it's real basic and predictable. The other two have good insights and practical applications.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome find, September 3, 2012
I purchased this book for a college class project, it is excellent for anyone who wants to improve their leadership skills!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very insightful, October 11, 2007
I appreciate having the 3 books in one. I also appreciate the large font type of the books, although I am young, I often read in dim light (when babies are sleeping) and the large font really makes it easier. The books are excellent reading. Biblical leadership perspective that really is so practical for all leaders at all stages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, June 1, 2007
Do you want to free your mind of bad attitudes, educate other and become a positive influence? Then you must have this masterpieces. Read them, apply and you'll see the results

5.0 out of 5 stars This was the first leadership book I ever read, December 23, 2011
I read this book when I first was put in a position to lead. It was extremley helpful and I would highly recommend it to anyone who's in a position to lead.

Rate and Discover Movies