Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation

Format: Spiral-bound|Change

on March 13, 2014
Maxwells is great in the beginning when you're just learning the ropes and need refreshers on some of the stuff you learned back in 2nd year. It becomes a bit obsolete as the year goes on. That being said, even as a fourth year, I still refer to it occasionally. Other must-haves for rotations include:

1) UCSF Hospitalist Handbook - the info is a bit more practical and step-by-step than Pocket Medicine. You can get the iPhone/Android version for cheaper through AgileMD). Because it gives way more tangible, practical diagnostic and management steps than the Red/Green book, all my residents would be super surprised at how much more "mature" and "relevant" my diagnostic and management plans were in my presentations. They thought I was a genius and further along than most of my classmates...(and I wasn't too keen on letting them know where most of that genius was coming from :)

2) Sanford Guide (microbio) - this is really the best book for any microbio you'll need on the wards. You'll look like you actually paid attention during microbio with this book. The typie is very small ad the paper quality sucks. can be a bit slow to navigate through. You can look stuff up by organism or condition, and it has a spectrum of bacteria sensitive to each antibiotic.

3) Tarascons (pharm) - It is far and away the fastest way to get your hands on dosage, forms available, and pricing data. I can't tell you how much of a superstar you'll look like if you actually are talking about dosing as a medical student. This is not something any med students are familiar with. That alone makes this book worth it. Color tabs have made it easier to navigate through. Some of the older drugs are gone. The tables are awesome.

4) Download medscape for general reference questions here n' there. Personally, I like it more than epocrates...and it's free.

5) Netflix- for call-nights and unwinding when you actually get a day off! True Detective is a phenomenal series.
22 comments|152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2002
If you buy one book to keep in your white coat, make it this one. For a small book that will easily fit into any pocket, it contains guidelines for writing admission, discharge, and other notes commonly encountered on medicine, surgery, and ob-gyn rotations. It also includes commonly used formulas and cheat sheets for H&Ps and the neuro and the minimental status exam.
A great deal for a book that you're likely to use through the rest of your medical training!
on April 11, 2015
This is a good book for 3rd year medical students.
It is small enough to keep in your pocket of your white coat (almost the size of your hand). It has information on how to write your SOAP notes, how to take patient history, guidelines for admitting and discharging patients, neuro exams. It has information on what to look for in a history and physical exam and also has lab values.
on August 20, 1999
This pocket reference contains a plethora of useful information, from SOAP notes to lab values, dermatomes to ECG axis determination. Every time we use ours on the floor (which is every day!), someone looks over our shoulders to see what we're using... and then the next day we find they've bought one! A must-have survival item for the floors.
on March 10, 2016
Since the description doesn't really tell you what you get, and since the list on the cover is not comprehensive.... I thought I would list it in my review. This handy little book measures 14x9cm (5.5x3.5 inches) if you include the spiral. Easily fits into any shirt pocket... even if you are not wearing a whitecoat. Sturdy cardstock pages, but still weighs almost nothing.

Contents:
Common ECG rhythms
Waveform measurement typical values
Cardiopulmonary values
12 lead axis chart with deviations
ACLS algorithms
ACLS Cardiac Arrest for V.fib, , asystole
ACLS Post Cardiac Arrest Care, Acute coronary syndromes, adult bradycardia, adult tachy, suspected stroke
Canadian Neuro Scale,
NIH Stroke Scale,
Lab Values for Heme, Chemistries, blood gases, urine, toxicology, cs, synovial, endocrine
Serum drug levels (therapeutic and toxic) for many common drugs.
Daily Body Fluids with electrolyte and volume
Ascitic and pleural fluids
Replacement Fluids,
Helpful equations (anion gap, fractional Na excretion, etc.)
Phlebotomy tube color codes
Unit conversions
Form guides for Admit/Transfer orders, On Service, Progress, Discharge, Pre-Op, Op, Post Op, Procedure, Delivery, Postpartum
Apgar Scoring
Estimate Delivery Date
Glucose Tolerance Values
Developmental Milestones 2mos to 4 years (quick ref. only)
Immunization Schedule
Form guide for H & P and Neuro
MMSE
Glasgow Coma Scale
Dermatome Map
6 Blank pages,
Symbol and Letter Snellen
Ruler (1-5 inches and 1-13 cm)
on August 9, 2012
I'm a 3rd year medical student and this little book has been my best friend during rotations. It's an easy to use comprehensive review that serves me well for lab values and other integrative basic science needs.
on April 15, 2013
Someone mentioned that the print was small...it is. However...I am a nurse and it fits very well in the front pocket of ones scrubs. It is pocket reference. I like it and would recommend it.
on February 8, 2015
This was given to me by a PA that went through the same program as I was about to start and it has been an invaluable reference. I purchased a number of additional copies and have given them to classmates as gifts. This has the essential items for general medicine- labs, orders, H+P, ROS, postop notes, ACLS, but not info about specific medical problems, which I have the Tarascon pocket guides for. Key to me is that this does in fact fit in a white coat pocket and allows you to sit down comfortably without poking you like the Practitioner's Pocket Pal. The text is small but well printed and legible.
on October 27, 2014
This is great, don't get me wrong - I have used it every day since I got it because even for things I know (such as lab values) I always like to check. I wish it had more. I can't expect too much from a pocket guide, but I wish there was more about wave forms/ECG analysis because for those rarely seen rhythms I like to have a more detailed pocket guide. With that being said, there is blank space in the back I have already used to remember, for example, S1Q3T3 for P.E. and other little tidbits that I rarely see but like to have easy access to when they do come through. I certainly have no regrets with the purchase.
on June 7, 2014
It's basically you're quick guide to surviving routine tasks on rotations (writing notes, reading labs, doing a PE, etc). Occasionally, I will still reference it to make sure I did a complete neruo exam or ROS or to look up some of the more obscure lab values. There are also some blank pages in the back which are handy for writing down resident pagers and access codes. Since I worked at numerous hospitals, I would often use it to help me remember what my computer log-in ID was and important door codes.