4.0 out of 5 stars Capable, but Pricey Energy Efficient Night Light
Maxxima's MLN-15 is an LED Occupancy Sensor Night Light. This night light has 6 very bright LEDs behind a clear check-patterned plastic cover and comes in the color white. This night light is on the pricey side for a night light, but has a lot of versatility:

Published on September 23, 2009 by Neil Dewitte

3.0 out of 5 stars I should have read closer...
Published on February 22, 2010 by Jason E. Reid

4.0 out of 5 stars Capable, but Pricey Energy Efficient Night Light, September 23, 2009
Neil Dewitte (Birmingham, AL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Maxxima LED Occupancy Sensor Light With 6 LEDs

1. It's primarily designed to operate on 4 AA batteries, but if you purchase a 6V 300mA DC adapter, you could plug it in.
2. It can be on all the time, off all the time, or only come on when it senses motion AND it happens to be dark
3. It has a flat bottom so you can set it on a flat surface or you can use the included mounting bracket (that swivels) to put it wherever you would like

The light does go off after about 30 seconds in auto mode after it stops detecting motion. The infra-red motion sensor works better when it is cold as opposed to hot. The manufacturer claims a range of 16 feet for sensing motion. LEDs use little energy so the batteries should last quite a while. It is portable enough to take on a camping trip, but isn't as convenient as a lantern or flashlight.

The cons: This night light is on the pricey side - if you are looking for something less versatile you can find it for less money. The mounting bracket screws are on the small side, but the bracket allows you to put the night light just about anywhere and adjust the angle of the light by about 10 degrees in any direction. The bracket looks sturdy enough to hold and aim the nightlight, but doesn't appear sturdy enough to be constantly adjusting the angle of the nightlight (or clipping and unclipping it) and hold up to the wear and tear. Finally the LEDs in this light are very clear and bright white, almost bluish. This is not something you would want to operate at eye level, but would work fine on the floor. Shop around if you are looking for something a little more homey and warm.

One last note - the nighlight is on the large side - about 2 inches deep, about 3 inches wide and about 4.5 inches tall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Customer Service, March 4, 2014
This review is from: Maxxima LED Occupancy Sensor Light With 6 LEDs
I purchased two Maxxima MLS-05 units for each end of my stairway. Both units functioned very well until one of the units developed a bad LED. The bad LED started blinking (similar to a strobe light) and was extremely irritating. The only solution that I could think of was to paint the bad LED with opaque paint so I could utilize the remaining four LEDs. This happened again to LED #2 several months later and once again to LED #3 after another few months.

After losing three out of the five LEDs on the same unit I decided to call Maxxima customer service. They agreed that my problem was very abnormal. LED bulbs should last for thousands of hours. Since I purchased the two units well over the one year warranty period, I really had no warranty claim. However, Maxxima customer service decided to send me a replacement Maxxima MLS-15 free of charge with free shipping. They shipped it from New York state to Maryland and I received it the next day.

The MLS-15 is a very nice unit that replaces the old style MLS-05 unit. They both run on four AA batteries or a 6v power supply. The improvements of the MLS-15 compared to the MLS-05 are an additional LED (6 vs 5), a diffused plastic screen for better light distribution and less glare, an improved mounting bracket for easier adjustment and a more sensitive motion detector.

It is great to find a company that stands behind their product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good strong light for night time used with an adapter., January 10, 2013
This review is from: Maxxima LED Occupancy Sensor Light With 6 LEDs
Good, Very strong light,acted up a little when I first plugged in Adapter but after a couple days it worked just fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, bright product., February 11, 2010
This review is from: Maxxima LED Occupancy Sensor Light With 6 LEDs
I have two of the original versions from Maxxima and decided to get this model for my dad.

This model has 6 LEDs and is significantly brighter than the 1 LED version. However, it is not 6x as bright as I suspect each LED gets less power. It does add a bit of redundancy in case one LED dies (technically the LED is unlikely to die but its connection would come loose instead).

Even with the rough screen, you can still clearly make out the LED pinpoints. It does not disperse the light as much as anticipated which means that when this goes off at eye-level it could be irritating.

The sensor works great. My two older models have held up for almost a year now. I have them on either side of my outside door so that I can see when I come up to my door at night. They provide plenty of light for this purpose and one would be sufficient if I had used this particular model. They have been robust enough to survive outside, though my porch does shelter them from actual rain. No moisture has appeared inside the LED windows on either device, so they are reasonably well sealed.

Battery life has been very good. I replaced the batteries after 8 months, and that is with moderate usage of the light. It goes off every morning on the way to work early and it is used a few times a week at nighttime.

Overall I have been really happy with this product. It is a bit pricey, but I've gotten excellent usage out of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars I should have read closer..., February 22, 2010
This review is from: Maxxima LED Occupancy Sensor Light With 6 LEDs
I purchased this in hopes of using it at the landing on my stairs; there is no window an it can be dark, especially at night. In an effort to save money by not always leaving the six light chandelier on, I planned on plugging this in at the top of the landing. However, it comes out of the box ready for 4 AA batteries... I've had enough experience with battery powered LED's to know that it wasn't going to work well. However, I gave it a shot, I installed six fully charged Ni-MH batteries and the light lasted for about three hours. Luckily I have a 6V AC/DC transformer that I can use. The light is bright, but I cannot use is as I had hoped because of the need for the transformer. I would have been much more satisfied if the light came ready to plug directly into the outlet. The light is bright enough to serve its purpose, but the need for batteries or a transformer makes is difficult to use.

Rate and Discover Movies