Heroes come in all sizes; my newest hero is a pint-sized girl named May B. Caroline Starr Rose tells May's story in simple, moving verse that captures the joy of family, the gloomy isolation of a dirt soddy, and the determination of one scared but indomitable young person. May B. is a girl you'll be proud to know.
- Karen Cushman, Newbery winner
- American Library Association Notable Book 2013
- American Booksellers Association 2012 Spring New Voices title
- Amazon's Best Books of the Month for Kids: January 2012 selection
- Junior Library Guild selection
- Kids' Indie Next List: Spring 2012
- Publisher's Weekly Spring 2012 Flying Start
- 2012 New Mexico-Arizona Book Award Winner, juvenile division
Starred Review, Kirkus Reviews, October 15, 2011:
"If May is a brave, stubborn fighter, the short, free-verse lines are one-two punches in this Laura Ingalls Wilder–inspired ode to the human spirit."
Starred Review, Publishers Weekly, December 5, 2011:
"Writing with compassion and a wealth of evocative details, Rose offers a memorable heroine and a testament to the will to survive."