May Flash N64 Controller Adapter for PC USB
Price:$13.50 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 17, 2010
Verified Purchase
I highly recommend this item to anyone who plays nintendo 64 emulators on your pc. there is some stuff you have to do but is not complicated at all. I want to add that someone posted steps on how to configure the controller to the pc. he/she was pretty much right. the following steps are for a windows vista and using project 64:

1} plug the this adapter to the pc via usb
2} plug n64 controller
3} go to control panel and then select game controllers
4} then select properties and highlight gamepad
5} then select the tab that does not say test, remember I said not, I for got what the other is called
6} now calaberate the analog stick. it will tell you what to do {simple stuff} after you click finish to finish the claiberation open project 64
7} now click the options tab and select settings.
8} change jabo to n-rage{ please note that all though jabo will work, I had problems with it, especially the buttons, so I recommend you use n-rage} n-rage everything works good for me.
9} after that, you can go to configure control plug-in and set all the buttons and the d-pad as well as the start and analog stick.
10} you are now finished the controller setup.
11} all thats left is for you to do what you normally do and select the game you want to play.
12} enjoy!!
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 19, 2010
Verified Purchase
Wishing to relive my childhood, I purchased this USB N64 controller adapter to use with Project 64 on my laptop. On the box, it says plug and play, although that certainly didn't work for me! It took me about half an hour to figure out how to get the thing working. If you buy this and plug it in and it works immediately, great. If not, here's how to fix it:

1) Plug the adapter into your laptop - Windows should automatically verify that it's an HID gamepad
2) Go to start -> Devices and Printers, then right click the USB gamepad and click game controller settings
3) THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART! This had me stumped for quite awhile. In the game controller settings menu, you should see two controllers listed, both named USB gamepad. Now, the first USB gamepad corresponds to the SECOND (rightmost) plug on your USB adapter. I had my N64 controller plugged into the first one and was trying without success to calibrate my controller. So, remember - the first USB gamepad corresponds to the rightmost plug, the second USB gamepad goes to the left plug.
4) Go through the Windows calibration test
5) Start up Project 64. Go to controller input settings. Make sure you check the box that tells P64 that your controller is plugged in. Then, change the default button settings using the N64 controller.
6) Play and have fun :)

Aside from that little quirk, this adapter works great. Sensitivity is perfect, buttons are all responsive, and you can have a buddy play with you at the same time!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 4, 2012
Verified Purchase
This product is probably the best of its kind and works great, but as my title suggests, setting up the controller to talk to your computer correctly can be a bit of a hassle if not done correctly. I failed many times before setting up two controllers to work perfectly.

When I received this product, I instantly was able to get it to work with Project 64 Emulator and Jabo range controller setup, however the C-down button on my controller would just not work. Everything else works fine, just not the C-down. In fact, unless you play a game that uses the c-down button, you might not even realize it doesn't work. This is a known problem of the "Jaboo" controller setup. I quickly found that the better option is to use the "N-Range" controller setup.

These are someone else's instructions with a few additions that helped me get two genuine N64 controllers to work for me using Windows 7 and Project64 v1.6.

I recommend calibrating your controller(s) in windows before doing this.
For windows 7:
Control Panel > Hardware and Sound >Devices and Printers > right click the gamepad icon > Game Controller Settings > select your gamepad from the list and click properties.

Calibration is pretty straightforward. It asks you to press any button then move the joystick in a circle, press any button, move the joystick left and right(Z-Axis), press any button, then move the joystick up and down (Z-Rotation) and press any button (you will see what I mean). Click finish. If you cannot get your joystick to move around in a circle and return to the center on the screen during calibration, you have a problem. If you have project 64 open, try closing it and start over fresh.

1- Open up Project 64 emulator
2- Go to Options > Settings
3- for Input (controller) plugin, instead of Jabo's, select N-Rage's Direct-Input8 V2 1.80a and click OK
4- Go back to Options > then Configure Controller Plugin
5- Stay under the Controller 1 tab, but switch to the Devices tab
6- in the right panel, select your gamepad in the dropdown under Gamepad Devices.
7- then go back to the controls tab, and you should be able to map all your buttons. Set Analogue Stick Range to 100%.
8- Repeat steps 5-7 for Controller 2 (If applicable)

I hope this helps someone.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 19, 2009
I bought this off of ebay. I only bought one, because I use two ps3 controllers instead of two additional n64 controllers. At first, using the emulator PJ64 (which i'm sure a lot of you will be using), I wasn't very happy.

The problem:

The joystick sucked. completely. It was slow and terrible. I thought it might've been the connection, so i reset it. Nothing. Maybe the controller, nope. Maybe the port, nope. I played with another controller plugin, and it worked slightly better. I looked at the game controller configuration (Under USB Game controllers --look for it, it exists in windows--) and after moving the joystick around, I saw that the range wasn't at 100% (the dot moved, but didnt reach the ends).

The Solution:

The real magic started when I went into USB game controllers (I use windows 7, but its the same as vista) and re-calibrated the Nintendo 64 controller. I booted up PJ64 again, and voila! It worked like a charm, if not better. I think what happened was that over time, these joysticks take a beating and don't really work too well.

Why it may be better:

This re-calibration allows you to adjust the joystick so that it works almost brand new. Granted it doesn't FEEL the same, but if you push it, it'll work.

Don't give up on this, it works. It's also great that I don't have to deal with any libUSB driver problems with the ps3 controller. Why the other reviewer had a fit and rated this product so low is probably because he gave up trying. The whole calibration thing takes less than a minute.

IF you have any problems, feel free to reply/comment with a question.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 1, 2010
Verified Purchase
As another commenter wrote, only one port works if you use a Mac. I looked all over the internet and couldn't find a review for this concerning Mac users, so I ordered it and yes only the right port works. So you may want to just find a cheaper one-port alternative if you want to use it for Mac, but don't expect this converter to work with two controllers at the same time.

Other than that it works fine. Occasionally I have to unplug it and plug it back in and reset the controls that connect to what button in the emulator, but that's only if I restart my computer and not all of the time.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 28, 2012
Verified Purchase
Okay, so I originally got this to play N64 roms through Parallels in Windows XP on my MacBook Pro. Although everyone seems to say you can't get both ports to work if using it in Mac, that's only partially true. If you're using SixtyForce, then yes, you will only get 1 port working for each USB adapter you have. However, if you use Mupen64Plus, you'll get full functionality of all 4 ports. And to make it even better, it auto-detects all of the controllers without any necessary button configurations (at least in my experience). So whether you have Windows or Mac this adapter is absolutely what you're looking for! Nothing but pure N64 emulation bliss. Enjoy!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 28, 2013
Verified Purchase
This did a pretty good job. If you are having issues make sure you don't have a memory pack plugged in. When I had one plugged in my emulators would not detect some of the button presses. Once I pulled the pack out everything worked fine.

Overall once I ran the windows 7 calibration utility to get the sticks calibrated correctly everything seemed to work fine.

NOTE: Controller 1 is on the right not the left.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 25, 2012
Verified Purchase
I bought this to use with: Windows 7, 2 N64 Controllers, and a N64 Emulator. All worked right away with each other. Nothing like playing n64 games on my PC on my Big Screen with real N64 Controllers. Can't say how well device works with other OS's as I have only used it with Windows 7 but it works so I am a happy camper.

Only con some people might have is the cable length, but a USB extender can fix that real quick.

This device is nothing fancy and does not do any more than what it should, and why should it. No issues so far.
on July 16, 2010
Verified Purchase
I bought this after having an interest for old N64 games but after having a bad experience with Nintendo 64 N64 / PS2 2in1 USB Controller Adapter to PC. That one sucks, this is where you should go if you're looking for N64 controllers on a PC.

The only drawback is it needs a little fanegalling to get it to work right. The sumo adapter had the same problem this one did: the range of the joystick only shows up as about 70%. As in, you hold the real joystick all the way to the right but it only shows it as being 70% or so moved. Calibrating it in Windows Game Controllers works, the problem was with the sumo adapter that the C buttons kept firing and the calibration page would disappear in two seconds.

The only other problem is that this adapter sets the C buttons as another joystick. That's fine, but sometimes the emulator/game won't pick up that the button has been fired when you're at the configuration menu trying to push the button to tell it that it's bound to that button. But there's an easy fix.
The only button that I had problems setting in this scenario was C-Down. C-down in the joystick is labled as "Z-", or moving the second joystick down. Simply get another controller, select it from the ingame menu, and set it so that the button bound reads out "Z-" or the one you want. I have a logitech dual action and Z- was moving the second joystick down. Then swap back for the 64 controller by selecting it from inside your game. Now complete the rest for the buttons that work. Z- is still bound to C-down, so when you press the REAL C-down on the controller, it's sent as "Z-" which is accepted as being configured to c-down.

I tested this product in Windows XP 32bit SP3 and Windows Vista 32bit SP2 and they both work. It also kind of works in GNU/Linux Kernel 2.6+. The utility "jscalibrator" (available as a package under Debian/Ubuntu/*buntu variants) detected the joystick and showed all input working, but only on port #2 on the adapter. However, I could only get it to work on native Linux games such as Tux Racer. Under WINE, it did not detect either the analog stick or the C-buttons. I do not own a macintosh so I have no idea if it works on those platforms.
on December 6, 2010
Verified Purchase
I was originally using the Boom PSX/N64 adapter, and had decent success with it, but when it started to decline (C-right button firing randomly, unstable control stick input, etc.) I looked into this. The specialization of N64 controllers definitely helps here; I've been using it fairly heavily for four months now and have yet to see any difference in quality.

The best thing about this is that it not only supports official N64 controllers, but it also accepts my third-party EA Sports controller; previous adapters had difficulty reading its inputs, often leading to chaotic responses when tested under Control Panel. Having two jacks saves money and time as well.

Make sure to calibrate the inputs under Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Devices and Printers -> Game Controllers -> Settings -> Calibrate. Out of the box the controllers will work fine, but calibrating them means they'll work flawlessly. I use Project 64 and it's compatible with both Jabo's plugin and the N-Rage Adaptoid plugin as well; set the range to around 75%-85% and it'll work just as it would on a normal N64.

Overall, great support for controllers -- including third party, relatively easy to use, works well out of the package, and two jacks means you save money over buying two adapters. Buy it!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations