Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

Format: HardcoverChange

on April 23, 2013
Having read Fred Stoller's very enjoyable Kindle Single, My Seinfeld Year, I was happy to see that he was telling more of his great behind-the-scenes-in-show-business stories in Maybe We'll Have You Back. I wasn't disappointed. He offers a funny, informative and entertaining look at two aspects of show business we don't hear much about - the TV guest star and the voice over artist (with some stories of stand-up comedy thrown in for good measure). This book should be on the "to read" list of every aspiring actor, any fan of stand-up or situation comedy, anyone interested in how TV shows get made, and people who like to laugh. In other words, pretty much everybody. As evidence of how good this book is, I read it while stuffed into a cramped airplane seat and it actually made me forget that I could barely move my legs for four hours.
on April 28, 2013
I just finished reading the most amazing book, "Maybe We'll Have You Back: The Life of a Perennial TV Guest Star", written by comedian and actor Fred Stoller. First of all, I received it from Amazon on Tuesday night and started reading it on Wednesday morning on the train. From that point on, I couldn't put it down and basically read all 250+ pages every free chance I had until I finished it moments ago. One word... fantastic.

For people who know me know that I read a lot of books about the entertainment industry and people in the entertainment industry. I especially enjoy books written by actors , comedians and comedic actors and own a bookcase full of them including George Carlin, Jay Mohr, Bruce Campbell, Matty Simmons, Steve Martin, Howard Stern, Denis Leary, etc... the list goes on and on. Fred's book is one of the funniest, entertaining and gut-wrenchingly honest biographies that I've ever read. He speaks openly and honestly about his experiences, his personal relationships and his feelings and truly makes you feel his ups and downs, his triumphs and failures, his excitement and his disappointments. He pulls no punches and wears his heart on his sleeve on every page. If anyone has ever worked in the entertainment industry (especially as an actor) or ever remotely wondered what an actor goes through to achieve his or her dream, you should buy this book. It's worth every penny.

And if you don't know who Fred is, you probably do and don't realize it, chances are he's been on one of your favorite TV shows in the past 25 years... at least once (and sometimes they even had him back).
on March 31, 2013
I first saw Fred Stoller on HBO's 13th Annual Young Comedians Show. I was certain that Fred would soon have his own show or HBO Special. He is that lovable, neurotic, New York character we can't get enough of, yet Hollywood had other plans for Fred. His book is a tribute to the struggles of the life of a character actor. Fred gives us some great Hollywood insider stories, including his season as a writer at Seinfeld. He makes reference to some good and bad moments interacting with other celebrities. I found myself rooting for Fred throughout the book. There are plenty of laugh out loud moments inside as well. In one chapter, Fred shares his exercise of writing as many ideas as he can, in a speed round, for new Seinfeld scenarios. I won't spoil the book for you with the results, which may or may not include an episode with Jerry insulting Manute Bol. Buy the book, you will be pleasantly surprised!!!
on March 19, 2013
Fred's Stoller's most recent book is at once funny and deeply affecting. I read it in two sittings, constantly interruptinging my wife, telling her the funny parts such as his strange invention of non-jokes: "we were so poor growing up we had to get a blue car!" And then at other times I would sit quietly marveling at the honesty and depth of feeling expressed in the book even though most of it is told through the device of describing sitcom appearances. The author pulls no punches about feeling lonely, hopeless and always hopeful, somehow all at the same time. I don't usually read show business biographies or autobiographies, but this one is worth every page.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2013
This book is so funny and so wise. Sometimes I'd laugh out loud, other times I'd get a lump in my throat. A terrific book by a terrific writer and a terrific actor. Loved it! A must especially for anyone in show business.
on May 2, 2013
I really enjoyed this book. I've always wondered what it would be like to live in LA and try to find work as a TV actor. I've also been a fan of Fred Stoller for a long time, so this book was a perfect convergence. The chapters are basically organized by project (TV shows, writing gig, movie), but they tell a coherent story about starting in standup comedy and then moving to LA to pursue acting. Also developing throughout the book is Mr. Stoller's sense of himself, what he wants, and what he thinks he can do. It's fun to read about both his successes and failures. I liked the stories about other actors. I think what makes the book so enjoyable is that you can put yourself in Mr. Stoller's place and recognize how he feels. He's not (yet) a huge megastar, so you can imagine yourself doing some of the same things he does and reacting the same way in this strange, interesting environment of TV acting. It's fun to see how his real life is an inspiration for his own creations, like his Seinfeld writing and his movie. Since he's a comedian, the book is also quite funny, which makes it even more enjoyable.
on April 25, 2013
I loved the whole story. But my favorite parts of the book were the behind-the-scenes scoop!! Very dishy! I definitely recommend this book to fans of sitcoms.
on April 28, 2013
I am loving this book! It is so interesting to read about someone whom I feel I already know. I have probably seen all of Fred Stoller's TV appearances and it is so cool to read about what went on behind the scenes. He has made me laugh and cringe forever and now I know why! This is a great example of someone who is best off when he acts like himself because there is nobody else like him. He has a great way of relaying a story in such an interesting way that you have to laugh even though the experience he is recounting was sad. Even though he often plays wimpy roles it is obvious from this book that he has a very strong character having put up with so much for so long. I hope there are more books to come.
on August 20, 2013
Fred Stoller understands Hollywood better than most. His view of the town and industry is closer to reality than anything you've seen in a documentary or exposé.

I've worked in the town for several years, having come to town with no illusions of what it would be like. Success really is random. You can know everybody and get nothing, or know no one and get exactly what you need. You can rub shoulders with people you never imagined you'd be in the same room with, enjoy their praise and the knowledge that yes, you really did make it. And then it's gone the next day, because that was a short-term project that was never meant to last.

Life "between gigs" can be stressful, disheartening and lonely. You can stumble around the city making connections, only to be surprised by the ones that last and the ones that don't. Unreachable doors open and sure things slam in your face without warning.

But it's somehow a great life, there's nothing quite like it and people who are into it wouldn't dream of doing anything else. Fred captures that in all of its bittersweet glory. The "What the hell am I still doing here? / Why would I ever stop?" conflict. The daydreams of working something small into something bigger. All leading towards the one thing a lot of people in this industry want more than anything. More than money, fame, or adoration. The magical, elusive Stability. To stop worrying for a minute that it's all going to stop and go away.

The book is more than "This happened and this is how I felt about it", it gets into Fred's mindset, the fantasies of success, the insecurity and everything else most people would be too shy to share. But if you've lived it, you know it and if you haven't lived it, buy this book so you can take a peek inside a life that probably isn't anything like what you've seen or imagined.
on May 14, 2013
Half Television anecdotes and half poignant memoir. If you love tv and entertainment this book is perfect. Fred is funny and so honest about his career and struggles. Highly recommend it.