5.0 out of 5 stars My straight lashes LOVE this!
Published on February 8, 2011 by A. Carney

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one of Maybelline's best
I should have paid closer attention to the packaging -- any mascara labeled as "washable" obviously means it's not waterproof or moisture proof, and this mascara smears and smudges worse than any other I've used. If you get caught in the rain or it's a hot & humid day, this stuff runs quickly and heavily.

I use quite a few Maybelline products, some for many...
Published 14 months ago by C. Ricucci

5.0 out of 5 stars My straight lashes LOVE this!, February 8, 2011
I have very straight, almost downward pointing lashes and must use a curler for any hope of pretty lashes. Generally speaking a waterproof will hold curl better than standard version but even so most mascara will leave my lashes droopy after a few hours. The first time that I curled and then applied this mascara I literally gasped "WOW" when I stepped back from the mirror to see the results. With the decent volume and unbelievable curl my lashes really did look like falsies!

I have been using a tube of Glam Black daily for the past 6 weeks and it is still very fresh and not yet dried out or clumpy. Naturally my lashes are light brown and for full makeup days Glam Black is gorgeous, but I plan on purchasing Glam Brown also for more natural days. This mascara draws so much attention to my eyes that I kid you not I can get away with less makeup. I have had trouble keeping mascara off of my eyelid lately (all brands) so I also purchased a mascara shield and am thrilled with the results. I can squish the brush right into the base of my lashes to get tons of mascara down at the roots and it's instant eyeliner, no joke, just amazing! It does take a little longer to dry and your lashes won't feel soft and fluttery, but I am just fine with those trade offs.

There has been minimal flaking and almost no smudging, the tiny smudges that do happen are under my lower lashes (though I do not use this on my lowers) and they wipe away easily with my finger or a tissue. It doesn't other me. Removal of any good waterproof can be a pain in the butt! You will NEED a good makeup remover, soap or cleanser is not going to cut it! I have found jojoba (or even olive) oil to work wonderfully, I just apply a dime sized pool to my finger tips and massage onto my lashes gently for a minute or so then wipe with tissue and cleanse as I normally would, I have never lost lashes with this method. These oils are very healthy for your skin anyways, especially the sensitive eye area and my lashes are very healthy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one of Maybelline's best, September 17, 2013
C. Ricucci (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews

I use quite a few Maybelline products, some for many years, but this is not one I'd buy again. The Maybelline XXL Pro is better in my opinion, lasts much longer and for me it doesn't smudge.

4.0 out of 5 stars It IS possible to achieve awesome cat eyes with this mascara, October 31, 2012
Leanz (Waterford, MI) - See all my reviews
This mascara CAN be really great. I just found myself having to put a little more time and effort into applying it. For one, I found that too much product was on the wand if you just pull it out of the tube and apply it. I had to brush some of it off and back into the tube or else I would get really chunky, heavy, wet lashes- YUCK!
So after curled my eyelashes, and brushed some of the product off of the wand, I applied ~2-3 layers while using an eyelash comb in between layers. HOLY CRAP- awesome lashes ACHIEVED! I got the longest lashes ever and was very happy.

The Bad: I noticed after the first day of wearing this mascara that even when its completely dry (even 6 hours after wearing it) it has a sticky texture that if you try to re-curl your eyelashes it will WITHOUT A DOUBT clump your lashes together. This isn't a problem if you have an eyelash comb near by- just brush them out. But if you don't have a comb - don't bother re-curling. I reduced this sticky problem by putting a coat of another mascara over the final coat of this one to mask the stickiness (I used voluminous million lashes).

So, this mascara is part of my daily routine- I just have to put a little extra time into using it- but its worth it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mascara in all aspects, November 18, 2013
This review is from: Maybelline New York The Colossal Volum' Express Washable Mascara, Classic Black 231, 0.31 Fluid Ounce (Health and Beauty)
I have very straight lashes and curl them, but only waterproof mascara tends to hold my curl. They were out of stock of the waterproof version of this mascara, so I decided to try the non-waterproof.

This mascara has a natural-bristle brush that is quite large, about the length of my eye and pretty wide, but definitely not hard to use or control.

I usually apply one or two coats, depending on how I feel that day, curling between coats and after everything has dried.
(NO, I don't find that it damages my lashes.) I didn't find it clumping at all and separated as well as volumizes my lashes quite a bit. I find it's easy to create both a natural and more dramatic lash look with this, which is great. A+ for versatility :)

However, this mascara tends to flake just a bit when you wear it for an extended period of time.

Overall,

PROS:

-Pretty good lasting power
-Very affordable
-Great finish
-Doesn't clump at all

CONS:

-Flakes when worn too long
-Doesn't hold curl for more than a few hours (the waterproof version was amazing for me, though)

4.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Daytime Mascara, November 7, 2013
I like a subtle look during the day, for work and school, but I love the length and fulness that Maybelline New York The Colossal Volum' Express mascara provides. I use it at nighttime sometimes as well. Favorite daytime look. The brush is nice and full and lets my lashes look great and makes my eyes stand out even sans eyeliner. Love that it is washable, product is easy to remove with eye make up remover. No crazy scrubbing needed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Mascara, Great Price, November 5, 2013
This is a great mascara! I keep purchasing it. I like Maybelline brand in general. I would recommend, for the price and quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars It literally stinks, November 22, 2011
I've been a Maybelline mascara user for YEARS - who doesn't have one of those little pink tubes of Great Lash around? Even my mother always had one, and I don't remember her using mascara. I felt sure that I would like their other products as well, and after comparing a couple of options at the store I grabbed this one.

The first thing I noticed was the overwhelming smell. It doesn't seem that something intended to go that close to your eye should have such a strong odor, and it bothered me. Whether you think it smells good or bad, it's just too strong.

The brush, while it looked great conceptually, was way too big for me. I have small eyes with very long, but very pale and thin/sparse lashes, and even with what I consider a pretty steady hand it was hard to just hit the lashes without smudging makeup on my skin.

Once I got it where I wanted it, it didn't STAY there. It was a lot clumpier than I expected, and that kind of made sense to me. Since the intent is to volumize (I read that as "make wider/fuller" vs. "make longer"), if your lashes are thin or sparse wouldn't it have to clump to fill in the gaps? Just a thought - I don't really know how it's supposed to work.

Because I DO have long lashes, I've experienced some smudging with other brands if I blink too soon after putting it on, but never as much as this. It also flakes off quickly, and flakes off if touched at all. Every other mascara I've tried can tolerate a little "poking" with the end of my finger to push clumped lashes apart, etc, but this just flakes off and leaves bare spots. It's odd.

Finally, and probably the most important reason why I won't use it again, it made the skin around my eyes itchy. Even if it looked great, I wouldn't keep using it.

Looks like I'll be going back to my old standby!

1.0 out of 5 stars Clumpy mess, March 13, 2009
Do yourself a big favor and never buy this mascara. It gets flaky and dry after a few hours. The volume is not different from any other mascara. I am extremely disappointed and you will be too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbareable Smell, April 24, 2012
I know some people are sensitive to the smell of cosmetics, but I am not one of those people. It smells so bad that I could smell it ON MY FACE throughout the day! How do you even smell mascara on your face?! I'm convinced this merchant sent me an expired product because I have seen enough reviews to know that there were no such complaints about smell. Very unhappy with my purchase, don't make the same mistake I did and purchase from this account.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best!, May 21, 2014
Love this mascara! Its soft, clump free and cheap! Washes off easily too. I have it auto shipped! Ive tried A LOT of mascaras and this is my fave!