5.0 out of 5 stars Superior to "What to Expect..."
Published on August 14, 2005 by Julia

3.0 out of 5 stars Just go to their website.
Published on November 16, 2008 by Lindsey

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior to "What to Expect...", August 14, 2005
Back when babies were just daydreams, I recieved "What to Expect When You're Expecting" (3rd ed.) from a pregnant friend who had an extra copy. Not knowing any better, I was quite pleased. Once I became pregnant and actually needed a guide, however, that changed. I found the book to be poorly organized, overly conversational and condescending in tone (especially given my plans to be a stay-at-home mom), and generally useless for anything other than instilling fear and paranoia. Most exasperating, though, was the "organization." Symptoms that can arise during varying parts of pregnancy are scattered haphazardly amongst the monthly chapters. This means that the book must be read cover to cover and all material retained in memory if hunting through the index and flipping back and forth between sections doesn't sound appealing.

Enter the "Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy." Hallelujah! Not wanting to suffer through another mediocre guide to pregnancy, I looked through every book I could get my hands on, and this was the only one that satisfied my criteria. It is written by trustworthy professionals in clear yet -professional- language, it provides information on "pregnancy, childbirth and your newborn" in chronological order, and best of all, it contains separate sections entitled, appropriately, "decision guides for pregnancy, childbirth and parenthood," "pregnancy reference guide," and "complications of pregnancy and childbirth," each with a table of contents at the beginning of the section. Instead of having to take a wild guess at which chapter (or, more likely, chapters) cramping might have landed in in "What to Expect" or searching the entire index, I could find it, along with all the other things I might be wondering about, in the reference guide. Blessed simplicity!

The "Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy" was the only book I needed. Once I found it, "What to Expect When You're Expecting" went back on the shelf and stayed there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best pregnancy book ever, May 6, 2005
When we started trying, I bought a lot of pregnancy books. I am now towards the end of my first trimester and this book has been by far the best book I own on this topic.

This book is extremely well organized, very informative and objective, and covers a wide range of topics from pregnancy to birth to breastfeeding.

It is very easy to find what you are looking for. For each week, it explains what your body is going through, how your baby is growing and what emotional changes you could expect. In each month, there is a summary page that lists the problems you may have in that period and tells you when you should call your doctor. There are very nice drawings that show what your baby looks like and how big it is. (Some pictures are real size, for others the book tells what percentage of the real thing the picture is.)

This book had answers to all my questions so far - and I should say, being a very curious first time mom, I had a lot of questions.

Thanks and congratulations to Mayo Clinic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my Baby, October 10, 2005
Rebeca (Upstate, NY) - See all my reviews
This is the best book out there by far. I had 3 other pregnancy books in addition to this one. This book answered every question I had during pregancy. And I had lots of them. At the week 38, I wasn't feeling great but I wasn't dying either. Just not feeling too well. I was having some minor chills, and NO fever. No other symptom. I opened the book and it said to call my OBGYN right away. I did so and my OBGYN wasn't too sure that it was urgent. My OBGYN then changed her mind 5 min later called me back and told me to go to the hospital for a quick checkup. My babies heartrate was over 200/min. They managed to stabilize him and 15 min his heartrate dropped to 80/min. Needless to say, my OBGYN did and emergency C-section. Had I not had this book and been so persistent with my doctor, my baby might be not be alive. Well worth every penny it costs.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ONLY book you need, January 21, 2006
I had bought several pregnancy books, including the Mother of All Pregnancy books and a couple of others, shortly after finding out I was pregnant. I kept getting disappointed by them - either the tone of the book would be off, or the information wouldn't be complete enough, or the book would be too cutesy for me to stomach. I got a recommendation from someone for this book, and after I read it I was sorry that I had wasted any money on other books. This is the only pregnancy book I need.

It's hard to describe just how comprehensive the information is. If you, as a pregnant woman, need to know about something, it's discussed in this book. There's a large section on pregnancy discomforts and problems, but it's written in such a way that it's not depressing at all. The book is very straightforward about common pregnancy symptoms - if something hurts, they don't pussyfoot around, they say "this hurts" - but yet not negative about the experience of pregnancy either. The tone of the book is very straightforward, but yet upbeat at the same time. There are great week-by-week descriptions of what's happening with your baby, complete with illustrations, and in the week-by-week chapters there are also discussions of issues relevant to your pregnancy and suggestions about things you might want to think about or make some decisions about at that stage. There is VERY extensive information about prenatal testing, complete with great diagrams (this was the first book that showed me what really happens during CVS testing) and the information is presented in a neutral, nonbiased way that really aids decision-making when it comes to prenatal tests.

One of the most helpful features of this book are the "decision-making guides" in the middle. These are short articles about things like breastfeeding, deciding to have another child, etc. that present the pros and the cons in a very balanced and neutral way, so that you as a parent can make decisions for yourself. The book recommends breastfeeding and provides detailed instructions on breastfeeding, but also provides plenty of information on formula feeding, complete with instructions on how to formula feed, which is something I have not seen in many other books. I plan to breastfeed but if you are not planning to, or find you cannot, this book has some great information for you about formula feeding.

One other extremely helpful feature of the book are the charts for each trimester that help you decide when you should talk to your doctor about certain kinds of symptoms. I was surprised to find that some things I would think would be not that serious are actually things that warrant an immediate call to the doctor. I know I will be referring back to those tables over and over my entire pregnancy.

Overall, I can't recommend this book highly enough. Loads of information to help you make the best decisions you can in your pregnancy. Don't bother buying any other book. This is the one you will go back to for information and reassurance over and over throughout your pregnancy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Real great book!, October 17, 2005
I borrowed many pregnancy books at the library and found this book from far the best and I decided to buy it! It is written by doctors and explains everything simply but also scientifically. Do not buy "what to expect when you are expecting" which is too alarmist and not as complete as the Mayo Clinic Guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative-not my favorite though, March 31, 2005
W. Ayler (Memphis, TN USA) - See all my reviews
I really liked this book and I think it is a wonderful reference tool. I am glad I had the book on hand. However, my favorite book during pregnancy was "Pregnancy Week By Week". I think it went more into detail as each week passed. And being a first time mom, I wanted to know every detail that was going on developmentally with my baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never made me feel judged, April 25, 2005
New Mommy (Rochester, MN) - See all my reviews
So many pregnancy books preach about breastfeeding and other certain types of care for your newborn. Mayo Clinic is a big proponent of breastfeeding, but this book also spent time talking about bottlefeeding (how to do it and benefits). The pregnancy timeline was also very accurate and helpful as I made my way through the 40 weeks of my first pregnancy. I actually work for Mayo Clinic, so I received this book for free from my prenatal provider, but I would have gladly paid the price of the book for its insightful knowledge and comforting guidance!

3.0 out of 5 stars Just go to their website., November 16, 2008
Lindsey (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because in the early weeks of my pregnancy, I had lots of questions. Mayo Clinic has been a reliable source for medical information for me over the years and it didn't stop when I became pregnant. I used their website ([...]) to look up all kinds of information in their Pregnancy Center. It was without hesitation, especially with such a high review on Amazon, that I bought this book.

I read it often in the early weeks of my pregnancy in addition to relying on their website, I realized that much of the information overlaps. I really should have just stuck to the website, because I rarely read the book anymore because it is just a repeat.

Recently, I stopped at the library to pick the lowly Amazon rated "What to Expect When You're Expecting". I cracked open the book and couldn't put it down! WTEWYE had answers to all of the questions that I'd asked and couldn't find in the Mayo Clinic, like 'Is tap water safe?', and detailed & current information about First Trimester Screening results and options (which Mayo Clinic doesn't have).

If I were you and considering getting this book, I would just head over to [...] and save the $[...] for another book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had bought paperback., February 16, 2011
I gave this book 4 stars instead of 5 because I bought it in the Kindle format. All the information in the book is wonderful and easy to read and understand. It is not condescending or frightening, but honest and informative. While I love reading on my Kindle, for this book I find myself wishing I could flip through the pages to the decision guides, for example. It is the type of book I would normally shuffle through and look quickly between pages to compare different facts and references, but I find that harder to do on the Kindle. I also find that even if I change the size of the font on the Kindle the different charts and graphs in the book do not change size, which makes them more difficult to read. I am completely satisfied with the book, though not completely satisfied with the Kindle format in this particular case. If I could go back I would buy this book in paperback format and leave the Kindle to my novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than "What to Expect When You're Expecting", May 4, 2005
This was the first book I got from the library when I found out that I was pregnant. Unfortunately, after numerous renewals, the library wants it back (the nerve!). I'm currently 15 weeks pregnant with my first child and so far this book has been great. It's from a trusted source and the week by week information on what's happening to the baby and possibly to me is more informative and detailed than other books that I have (i.e. "What to Expect...," "Your Pregnancy Week by Week," etc.) While this book has a lot of information dealing with specific circumstances, I just skipped the sections that didn't pertain to me. This book didn't scare the hell out of me like some of the others did. I am purchasing this book for my own "library."

Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy: From Doctors Who Are Parents, Too!
$19.95 $15.46