1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, Great Design & Cooking Ability, January 27, 2012
This review is from: Maytag MMV6180WB 1.8 Cu. Ft. Black Over-the-Range Microwave
The Maytag MMV6180WB microwave is an excellent above range unit. It's a quality microwave that has a nice design. The outside of the unit has a slight industrial/sleek look to it. Cooking power is even and much, much better than other units I've used.

First let me say that this Maytag microwave is fairly heavy. You'll need help with getting it put on the wall. However, installation was very quick and simple. A paper and cardboard template are provided to place the hanging bar and appropriate screws/holes. You use a template on your upper cabinet to cut holes for the power cord and two bolts. Another template is used on the wall to properly place the bar that will support the microwave. The template will also help you decide where to cut for external venting if you choose. You can have the vent circulate the air inside or vent to the outside. I chose to vent it out of the house. Remember when installing to measure twice and make sure you have everything lined up before drilling. Also, I decided to add a few extra screws into the wall (I think three were provided), but that was just my preference.

Operation is fairly quiet. I found microwave cooking to be very even. At 1100 watts it has a good amount of power. Honestly, I found that it kept in more moisture in most foods than my previous microwave. For some foods (like a baked potato) it autosenses moisture content and adjusts cooking time on its own and it was usually accurate. The convection oven is also nice and allows you to cook additional foods when preparing large meals or prepare smaller oven type food for a simple one or two person meal.

Other features include an adjustable overhead light, variable fan speeds (5 speeds), and a really nice touch control system. The inside of microwave is just as beautiful as the outside. This unit sticks out an extra inch or so from your cabinets than other units might, but I still love the way it looks. It's also about 17" high, so you'll need about a 12" cabinet above it (depending on your cabinet installation). The fan is very similar to other over the range microwaves with 300cfm. No, it won't move tons of air, but it does a good job. I turn it on when I start cooking and leave it going for 10-15 minutes afterward and it does a good job of clearing the air. 300cfm for these units is standard. The noise on high is fairly loud, but again I find that to be normal on over the range microwaves with exhaust. Medium and low speeds are fairly quiet.

Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase. It outperforms most of the competition, looks great, and has an excellent build quality. I really like the way Maytag is designing their appliances. I'll give the unit five stars all day.