5.0 out of 5 stars Solid performer so far
Published on February 28, 2013 by J. Sorce

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective and you have to accept the repairs
Published 14 months ago by hhh

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid performer so far, February 28, 2013
This review is from: Maytag MVWC350AW Centennial 3.4 Cu. Ft. White Top Load Washer - Energy Star (Misc.)
I've only owned this washer a little more than a month but I am pleased with it. After my old 25 plus year old Whirlpool started acting up I started reading reviews and asking around about new washers. It seems there are many out there that don't live up to expectations. Most of the complaints are about the lack of water and poor washing and rinsing of some new machines. When I saw that this machine had many settings including one for "deep water wash" and an "extra rinse" I figured I could probably find a setting that would work well. I also like the control panel. Settings are clearly marked with large print and the dials have a high quality feel. So far I haven't had to use the deep water wash. It works well for me on the "regular normal" setting. This machine spins dries faster than my old machine (700rpm versus 520rpm for the old one). So clothes are drier at the end of a wash and spend less time in the drier. There are also some wash settings that have a slower spin dry if you prefer. Most washes have taken a little more than an hour including the 8 to 10 minutes of "sensing" at the start of the wash. For a washing machine it seems faily quiet; certainly quieter than my old machine. The one thing I don't care for is that the door locks when it is operating. But many modern machines do this and it can be opened by pressing the button to stop the machine. Like many newer machines it does require "HE" detergent. I've been using Arm and Hammer liquid detergent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust & very effective washer, August 30, 2013
ActionAndAdventure! (Knoxville, Tennessee) - See all my reviews
Salesman at Lowes was non-plused with this machine. However, after examining its design, reading numerous positive reviews, remembering my own positive experiences with Maytag and discounting the extremely negative reviews, I bought the machine at Lowes. Delivery via Lowes was speedy (next day) and free. The delivery handlers did a careful job, but failed to balance its feet properly (wife and I adjusted it after their departure). They also over-tightened the hose ends so extremely that I had to remove both then tighten properly (not to the point of bending the water valves). Notwithstanding the installation, this washing machine has turned out to perform fabulously. The installers were nice guys, just not superb mechanics.

It does "click" and "slowly turn" (and "think") for a few moments (to minutes) after starting the cycles. Apparently, these few minutes are an analysis necessary for the washer's computer to sense the load size (or mass). It then adjusts its programing to add appropriate water levels during the cycle.

We were amazed at how excellently our clothes were cleaned. Likewise, the faster-than-old school spin cycle nearly removes all water from the garmets. This is definitely saving drying time (and energy & money) which to me is fantastic.

Quality: Machine is built strong. Very stable. Just make sure you level its rear feet (with initial installation) to stabize the machine for all its cycles - particularly the estimated 800 rpm spin cycle. Had we not taken a few seconds to level the machine, I believe it wouldn't have worked properly, might have made excessive noise, or could have damaged the washer.

Noise? If your machine is properly balanced, and if it is installed on a stable floor (e.g., tile, cement, or very solid wood), I am certain that your Maytag Centennial washer will function as-advertised. Ours is extremely quiet.

Satisfaction? Wow! Everyone in my family loves their new washer. Okay, I love the machine too. So far, so excellent. Pardon the excessive exuberance, but this machine works great.

Alternate machine choices? I chose this particular Maytag model over the more expensive and glass-lidded Maytag top-loaders like Maytag Bravos. To me, the "electronic dimple buttons" (which seem breakable) all over the Bravos control head seemed like a future fail point. I could be wrong, but I like to ration my diving into high-tech features. This way (with the Centennial) at least by my own thinking, I get the best of both worlds.

The Maytag Centennial has four surrounding selector knobs manufactured in old-school fashion. They works smoothly and solidly. They feel good to the hand. And let's face it, a quality inferface with the user is important. I figured if one of these knobs fail, then all the other functions aren't compromised; much different than when a multi-function "electronic dimple button" fails (and where many malfunctions would result by only one failed multi-function electronic button).

My wife and girls also say that bras and straps don't get tangled or destroyed in this machine because there is no old-school agitator (which twists and ties and destroys). So, they're extremely happy. I'm happy that they're happy. Lol.

I am very pleased with the machine's quality and performance. Seems to me that I stole the machine on sale at approximately four hundred and fourty-one dollars.

Extended warranty from Lowes is about sixty dollars. I have a few days to take care of that add-on; probably a good investment. However, this machine is well-built and works great.

Thought you might appreciate a new-user's feedback.

I will follow-up in days & weeks ahead.

I strongly recommend this high-efficiency washer to anyone who wants to a better way to clean clothes.

Way to go, Maytag!

4.0 out of 5 stars very satisfied, April 26, 2013
Very quiet, automatically selects water levels, cleans well. Would have given it 5 stars but it arrived with a dent in the back panel.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, October 22, 2013
As far as cleaning the clothes well, it does a good job, has several settings, and spins the clothes really well. My only complaints are the stupid lid locking feature, and when the washer is off balance. I've always preferred to start the water filling and add detergent, then add the clothes; however with this washer, you have to add everything at once because once it's started, the lid locks. So if I find a few more things I want to add, I have to press the button to pause it and wait 30-45 seconds to unlock before I can add anything. I also always add a bit of water to the fabric softener thing in the middle of the agitator, otherwise it gets a little goopy, but since you can't run the water with the lid open, I have to keep a jug of water next to the washer to pour in when I use softener. The water not running when the washer is open also makes it a pain to clean the inside of the lid and all those little nooks and crannies that get dirty over time (I have dogs, so this may not be an issue for everyone). Also, when the washer goes off balance, usually when I'm washing large blankets or rugs, it will just keep rinsing and trying to spin, rinsing and trying to spin, over and over and over until you go in and adjust it. I assumed because it said "commercial technology" that it could handle heavier items. All in all it's a good washer though and cleans really well, but next one won't have the lid lock if I can help it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy for the price, December 12, 2013
It Is extremely frugal with water and for regular wash cycle medium load used 0.10 KW of power, which amounts to 1 cent. Measured with precision instrument.
Cleans very well (Arms & hammer HE detergent) and spins fast to remove extra moisture.
The cycle we usually operate it on takes less than an hour. Noise level is relatively low.
Excellent buy for the price, and for us even more so, it was an "open box" purchase, paid $290 plus tax delivered.
As per reliability, longevity its of course too early to tell

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective and you have to accept the repairs, December 17, 2013
Bought it early November 2013, delivered defective and they won't replace it. You have to let them send a repair tech out which takes weeks, (3). Technicians failed to arrive due to snow but never called, (A&E). So I have a brand new defective machine that Maytag says they will only repair for up to 1 year. So you pay $500 for a refurbished unit that's only warrantied for 1 year plus lose time and income and gain more aggravation from a big company you can't do anything about. By the time I've wasted getting my washer fixed and 6 weeks later I could have thrown it away and bought a new one. A disposable world

I've heard of others who own the same washing machine and it saves water but uses a lot more electricity thinking about what it's doing, ("(Sensing") and locking and unlocking the lid and takes way much longer to do a load of laundry.

I would not recommend this unit. Maytag's customer service was very pleasant but completely unable to give you any real satisfaction. You get what you get.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible machine, October 18, 2013
I purchased this washing machine in November 2011. The washer worked fine for about a month. The washing machine would not stop cycling unless I unplugged it. In other words, it would wash, rinse, spin and repeat until I unplugged it. If I was not home, it would run all day so the repair man came out and put a new computer board in it. This worked for a few months, then the problem with spin cycle started. It sometimes would spin out the water but most of the time it wouldn't. Anyway, the repair man has been out 3 times in the first year. My warranty ran out and in the 13th month, Maytag approved another repair visit, however, it did not fix the problem. It bothers me that I paid over $500 for this washer and it has caused me nothing but trouble. I will never buy a Maytag again. I really don't think it's washing either, the fabric softener thing doesn't work so I started buying those beads and they don't dissolve so I just think the clothes are sitting in the water. I have to run the macine on drain & spin a couple of time after the normal wash cycle just to get some of the excess water out of the clothes. The clothes don't smell clean like my old washing machine. It's so disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quiet operation sometimes means it ain't workin', June 8, 2013
BUYER BEWARE: I've had this washer less than six months. I will call it my un-automatic washer. It is unpredictable and I spend about 30 mins of each load unplugging and resetting the cycles bec it won't forward to the next cycle (some times). Don't go to sleep while washing or you'll wake up with sopping wet clothes with the light showing it is spinning. Clothes do not get clean...can't use PODS bec it will not wash off pod powder. Must rewash using liquid to get powder off. I suspect the liquid isn't washing out either, but at least you can't see it. I am so disappointed with this washer. I will NEVER buy another Maytag product. Look closely at all the bad reviews on the web...especially youtube video of "funny spin and mixed signals".

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 18, 2014
sweet deal

2.0 out of 5 stars Low efficiency washer, December 1, 2013
I would not take another one of these if someone gave it to me. It doesn't get your clothes clean, in fact sometimes it doesn't even get them completely wet. The spin cycle does not work properly all the time requiring a second spin cycle. If it does work properly an entire wash cycle takes about an hour.
Now let me get to the problems I've had with it. Luckily I bought the five year warranty because I have had it fixed 3 times in five years.
You cannot beat a regular washer with an agitator. If you want to save money and energy wash your clothes in a regular washer with cold water. You don't really save anything with this because half the time you have to washer your clothes twice to get them clean and rinsed properly. I would not buy another.