Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Maytag UKF8001 Pur Refrigerator Cyst Water Filter 1-Pack
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 14, 2010
This filter was a snap to install, and once I did my water pressure from the dispenser was back to normal. If you've
got a refrigerator that uses one of these filters and the water's been coming out slow then it's probably time for a new filter. One word of advice: use a big water pitcher for the first use of the dispenser after the filter change - the pressure has to readjust and it will spit out a few huge blasts of water that will overwhelm your normal water glass. After the couple of big blasts though, you get constant good pressure, better than you remembered was even possible after the gradual slow down with your old filter.
44 comments|126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2012
Lots of reviews on this site refer to the confusion regarding this replacement filter (UKF8001), so here are my observations on two matters:
1.) Which filter are we getting (750 Gallons vs 200 Gallons, etc) when we buy UKF8001?
2.) How frequently should we change it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallon Capacity Rating ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* Like everyone else, my box lists two different capacities (750 Gallon Rating & 200 Gallon Rating)
* Underneath each gallon rating it says the number of contaminents reduced (12 & 17 respectively)
* As others have shown in their photos, immediately below that, it lists a number of contaminents, with a checkmark as to whether the filter for that gallon rating filters each of the contaminents.

Note that for the 750 Gallon rating, contaminents reduced is 12 and chlorobenzene is not checked.
Note that for the 200 Gallon rating, contaminents reduced is 17 and cholorbenzene IS checked.

Now, here's the key observation. On the front of my box it says in a bright pink callout "Reduces 12 contaminents..."

Note that it does not say 17 contaminents, but 12. Also it does not mention chlorobenzene.

From this I take it that UKF8001 filter that I received is rated 750 gallons, and does not filter chlorobenzene.

I assume that if the filter were rated for 200 gallons and filtering chlorobenzene, then the box would be labeled on the front as filtering 17 contaminents, but I cannot prove this. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has a box that has such a designation on the front to see how their box differs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Change at 6 months or 12 months ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Regarding changing the filter at 1 yr vs 6 months, here's what my refrigerator manual said about that:
"The filter monitor system measures the amount of water that passes through the filter and alerts you to replace the filter. When 90% of the filter's rated life is used, the yellow (Order) light comes on. When 100% of the filter's rated life is used, the red (Replace) light comes on, and it is recommended that you replace the filter. For models without filter status lights, replace the filter every 6 months. Use replacement filter model 67003523; order Part Number 4396395."

From this I take it that some refrigerators are advanced enough to measure the amount of water that has passed through the system and to make recommendations as to when to change the filter. To determine this, you would need to check your fridge manual.

If your refrigerator has such a feature, then you can probably go by the fridge's recommendation. Also, I suspect some fridges just go by the date and alert you after 6 months or a year. Or for those fridges that have a usage monitoring system, perhaps they alert you after six months or a year even if you haven't reached your maximum capacity rating.

For example, I have an advanced fridge with the capacity monitor. I installed UKF8001 the last two times, and each time the fridge has indicated a need to change the filter at just about 1 yr, even though there is no way we used 750 gallons in that time frame. Probably this is to ensure the filter gets changed regularly whether you have met the usage profile or not.

Regarding the fact that the box is stamped at 6 months even though it can be used for a full year and is rated at 750 Gallons, here's my theory. The filter manufacturer says that without a usage monitoring feature, their recommendation is 6 months. Probably the manufacturer stamps 6 months on the outside of the box since that is the shortest and most generic case (and also so they can sell more filters. Lol.)

But the frequency you should change the filter will depend on your particular fridge, your usage, and your water quality.

Finally, although the filter works just fine, I deducted one point from the rating because the packaging causes so much needless confusion.
44 comments|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2009
This filter is rated at 750 gallons capacity. If the consumer uses one gallon of water per day in the form of water from the refrigerator dispenser and ice from the ice dispenser, the filter will last 750 days; i.e., just over TWO years. In general, there is no reason to replace the filter yearly, unless you have a really yuccky water source.

In a small household of two adults, the filter should last considerably longer than two years. Furthermore, with the addition of a filtered water dispenser at the sink (such as a GE undercounter unit), the refrigerator filter would be functional for a few years. The undercounter units have a quite large capacity and some use two filter cartridges.
7474 comments|335 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2015
We just bought this replacement filter for our Whirlpool fridge that uses the UKF8001 filter. As you can tell from the pictures, the original filter we are replacing almost looks identical to the fake one.

Differences:
- the threading of the fake filter at the top is not beveled on the underside like the original, so it does not fit or lock in place.
- the filter is made of cheap plastic material, which you can kind of tell from the picture- fake one is shiny cheap plastic, original is made of higher quality matte-like plastic
- the fake one is also slightly shorter than the original, so it doesn't clip in properly in the back.
- you can even tell from the sticker tag, the fake one is printed cheaply, hard to read, and has typos (circled in red)

THIS FAKE FILTER WILL NOT FIT AND WILL NOT WORK. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT UNTIL AMAZON VERIFIES THAT SELLERS ARE NOT SELLING COUNTERFEIT MAYTAG PRODUCTS.
review image
99 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2010
This water filter produces great tasting water! I have always been a fan of Pur water filtration systems, so with this filter you get the great taste of Pur filtered water right out of your refrigerator. It lasts about 1 year and then a red light on the refrigerator comes on indicating that it is time to swap out the water filter. To be honest, the water didn't really taste bad at the year marker, so you might be able to get the filter to last longer than that. Can't say for sure, though, since we have always gone ahead and swapped it out anyways.

It is super easy to install. It depends on your refrigerator, but on our Maytag the filter is on the inside of the refrigerator in the top back right corner. You open the filter door by pushing in the tab. Then turn the filter counter-clockwise to unscrew it. The filter will have some remaining water in it, so make sure that you keep it tilted up or you will have some water to wipe up. The new filter comes in shrink wrap plastic, so you take that off and then peal off the seal that covers the top of the filter. Insert the new filter where the old one was and turn clockwise to tighten. Don't over tighten it. Just get it snug. You will hear water rush into the filter as you are screwing it in. Then close the filter door. Last thing is to let some water run through the lines to remove all the air. I took a 1 gallon jug and just let the water fill it up. The instructions recommend running 4 gallons through to make sure you removed all the air. I only did 1 gallon and it seemed to be more than enough. That's it! Now you can just sit back and enjoy some clean filtered water.

If you figure the price of buying bottled water vs. a new filter once a year, this is definitely a good deal at an average cost of about $2.50 a month.
on August 7, 2009
The Maytag UKF8001 Purclean11 works for my Whirlpool Refrigerator. The price was the lowest I found.
11 comment|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2014
We looked & looked all over the packaging when we received this product. . no where did it say for 'Kenmore' instead stating Maytag; we compared the two products and they were identical. When we ordered the product via Amazon it stated it was the size we had and fit a Kenmore ~~ I'd say the packaging was bit confusing. Also during our ordering, we pulled the manual out to our Kenmore Refrig and it states the size to replace with. SO, we did feel safe on that, but I would have thought maybe somewhere on the packaging it would have covered ALL refrigerators this filter would fit.
on April 27, 2011
This is the correct filter for my Kitchen-aid Refrigerator. Popped the old one out and placed this new filter in the slot and gave it a turn and it was in and the water came on! Easy efficient order and I would do it again.
on September 2, 2015
Upon receipt of the filter and after opening the box, there was debris in the filter and it appeared used. There was also a residue/build up in the inside surface.
on December 19, 2015
I had the same experience as alybear stated.
I just bought this replacement filter for my KitchenAid refrigerator that uses the UKF8001 filter. As shown in the picture, the original looks almost identical to the fake one.

The differences are:
- the weight of the fake filter is lighter than the real one. I also use Brita water filters and the filter for my pitcher was heavier than the fake Maytag filter.
- the threading of the fake filter at the top is of a slightly different shape comparing to the original, the fake filter will not lock in place.
- there is a typo on the fake filter (Fiter) on the green printed label.
- the material of the fake filter is a cheap shiny plastic material. The real product has a better quality plastic with matte finish.

Will stop buying these filters from Amazon until these products are verified.