5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent re-issue!
This is a most welcome set. It is a re-issue of a formerly scarce set (which I reviewed ananymously at the time). Finally, proof that Gergiev (his merits aside) is not the final or only word. This is a top choice and stands its own but permit me to say: in my view, this is superior to the Kirov recording.

I have two small reservations.

I admire this...
Published on May 13, 2006 by S Duncan

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware no LIbretto
Published 16 months ago by Anso

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent re-issue!, May 13, 2006
This review is from: Mazeppa (Audio CD)

I have two small reservations.

I admire this Galina Gorchakova. She does not at all display the unsteadiness and wobble which is present in so many "great" Russian sopranos. She has a potentially large voice, which she manages quite skillfully. Her rich tone, however, sometimes brings her character closer to the mezzo of her character's mother , Lyubov (Dyadkova). The two voices, though beautiful, are too similar. Dyadkova is quite within her role, however....Gorchakova maybe does not sound as juvenile as one would imagine Maria to be. Nevertheless, her interpretation is excellent.

The other quibble has more significance, but still does not detract from my 5-star rating (mainly because Russian operas are such rarities that a fine recording such as this deserves every encouragement): the famous final mad-scene lullaby. This is not in truth solely Gorchakova's fault but also Jaarvi's in that this stunning aria deserves a more sombre and meaningful interpretation. Subsequent interpretations (concert recordings) have left me with the unshakelable feeling that the aria was just a little too hurried.....but still, acceptably done. Here, I lament the wasted potential given such a great conductor and Gorchakova's lovely voice.

All in all, however, a definite winner! I cannot resist the temptation to make particular mention of Kotscherga's brilliant portrayal of Kotchubey. His excecution-scene aria is a moving tear-jerker. He builds up to the tragedy with awesome delivery and feeling. Larin's Andrei is elegant, done with convincing emotion and most beautifully sung!

I can't recommend this enough. A most welcome sight!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Recording, August 31, 2012
This review is from: Mazeppa (Audio CD)
There is much to enjoy here. This opera has all the best traits to be found in Tchaikovsky's music: It is melodic, dramatic, well crafted and spiced with Russian folk themes. What's more, this opera makes up a more cohesive whole than many other works by the composer. In fact I even think that I prefer this opera to the Queen of Spades.

This particular recording performance is outstanding. The involvement of the singers, the solid conducting, the quality of the choir, the authenticity of the pronounciation (Russian singers!) and the sound engineering combine to make this set a first choice version of this opera.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good performance but lacking information, December 16, 2006
Patrick Yamada "Shiroh 'niichan" (South Central Orange County, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mazeppa (Audio CD)
I just began playing the CD's, and I am already disappointed. While I like the performance so far (as I do most of Neeme Jarvi's direction of Russian works), I was saddened by the exclusion of liner notes or a libretto. The enclosed notes only give a summary of each scene. Especially if I like a work, I want to know more about it. Reading David Brown's biography of Tchaikovsky in The New Grove _Russian Masters 1_ gives me a little background on the work, but the CD notes offers none. Why should I listen to it? What brought about its creation? What was contemporary opinion of the opera? What are the singers saying to each other? Inquiring minds want to know.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware no LIbretto, May 3, 2013
Anso (Las Vegas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mazeppa (Audio CD)
This is a misleading recording. It is unfortunate that this label has been re-issuing operas with no libretto. You cannot follow the story line with out one. You would not watch a foreign film in Chinese without the subtitles unless you spoke Chinese! And this is a lesser known opera so the web sites that offer librettos for free, they won't have this one. I could care less if the performance is good. Without the libretto the opera is incomplete. Pass on this one. Get Gergiev's recording instead. Full libretto included on that one.

Mazeppa
Mazeppa by P.I. Tchaikovsky (Audio CD - 2006)
Rate and Discover Movies