Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
VINE VOICEon January 19, 2009
I am so sorry I bought this piece of junk security software. I used to use Norton; however, because Norton did not have a price for single computer users and I did not want to pay for a 3-computer price when I only have one computer, I decided to purchase McAfee this year. Just don't do it.

The first night I download the software I got the message that there was incompatible software, but it didn't say what software that was. It sent me a link to their virtual technician, which checked my computer and gave it the all clear. Three times it did the same. So, I went to their on-line chat assistance. You can't call them unless you pay an extra fee to do so. Although it said it would take 9 minutes, someone came on in less then 5. I allowed them access to my computer and they were able to determine there were still a couple pieces of software connected with Norton on my computer. Apparently, Norton downloads several pieces of software and I only deleted the two I found and left two on my computer. McAfee also sent me a link to Norton to completely deinstall all their programs. That chat went ok.

One day after having McAfee on my computer I started receiving Security Warning pop-up boxes and every single website I visited. To make matters worse I had to press the yes button six (6) times to get rid of the box. So, back I went to chat. Again, I was told it would take 9 minutes for someone to come on. This time it took 45 minutes. It was apparent that "Boney" the tech could not really read English. Boney was unable to determine what I wanted when all I wanted to know as whow to turn off or disable the Security Warning pop-up boxes. The lag time between my posts and Boney's were so long I'm sure Boney was looking for key words or phrases in order to answer me. Eventually, Boney sent me a link to "preinstall McAfee" then told me to reinstall the software. When I refused Boney said all I needed to do was to reboot and the pop-ups would go away. I asked if Boney even read my posts and how it was possible that the pop-ups would go away when I had not done anything to disable them. Boney assured me it was taken care of. So, I rebooted. Well, of course, as I suspected, I am still getting the stupid Security Warning pop-up boxes. I even get them on the McAfee website!

If anyone knows how to disable them - please leave me a comment and let me know. I went to the McAfee website and there is so much stuff in there - nothing says anything about those stupid pop-up boxes. I also opened up the Mcafee icon and tried to determine what to click or unclick to get rid of those warnings, but nothing works.

Oh, if you're planning on purchasing this internet security software - I would advise against it. Although Norton is way overpriced, at least for the two years I had it I did not have a single problem with it.

If anyone knows of a reasonable priced internet security software that works and does not give headaches, please let me know.
on November 8, 2015
Does not work with Windows 8.1. I am used to these products upgrading to a newer version and thus being compatible. This product appeared to provide an update, but that update was incompatible as well.
on March 15, 2009
McAfee products are effective at keeping the computer virus free, etc. but their product uses an enormous amount of processor power every time you log on, for 10, 20, 30, 40 minutes or more. This is very annoying. God help you if you need support. Their "help" screens do everything possible to discourage you from contacting them or expecting live help. When you do get through to live help, they drop you call, chat, or keep you on hold for 10 minutes, or more. This is so unprofessional, that I will not renew my subscription when it expires, and will seek out an alternative software product. I do not recommend this product for anyone, given the very poor customer support.
on October 5, 2008
I use this product in my business. When I am on the road and want to email the office, this product keeps marking my outgoing emails as spam. It asks me if I want to send it anyway, I choose that option, then the email just disappears and never arrives at the office. To email the office, I have to open the Windows Task Manager and shut down anything that looks remotely like McAfee. Then I can send the emails out. I have contacted McAfee and found the support was dismal - no help. I would never buy this product again.
on February 23, 2009
I have had my computer for over a year with no problems, until I inserted this cd, that is. I don't know what happened but all of a sudden my computer was freezing and had to be restarted. However, when I restarted my computer it went to the BSoD (Blue Screen of Death for those who have not had this honor...) and never recovered. I looked up all kinds of information on the error code and basically I had no option but to reload Windows. I then had to run out and buy an external hard drive to back up all of my files, but that ended up being in vain because Vista apparently doesn't like recovery files... But that's a whole different issue. Anyways, this item ended up costing me a lot more than the initial price for the software, not to mention all the headache. I think I'll just stick with Norton.
on December 30, 2008
The virus scan seems to work, but I have been getting a persistent icon stating that my computer is still not protected. When I hit the button that purports to fix this, it triggers another icon that claims "security center is checking for updates" which is distracting and continues as long as the computer is running. (I googled this and apparently it is happening to lots of customers.) When I called McAfee the automated phone response proudly announced that there is free 30-day telephone support for new purchasers; I waited for fifteen minutes listening to the most high-pitched, irritating on-hold music ever, and then spoke with a representative who told me that due to high call volume it would be at least another fifteen minutes on hold, so for now I will be living with the annoying icons.
on February 25, 2009
I was needed to return it.