5.0 out of 5 stars Common sense prevails
Published on October 23, 2012 by Cindy Bear

1.0 out of 5 stars After 20+ YEARS - Bye Bye McAfee
I have installed literally hundreds, if not thousands of copies of McAfee over the years when I worked as a system admin for a major brokerage house. It was fine then, but not now...

My home system is a powerhouse with a 4 core 3Mhz CPU, for the non technical read Very Strong.

Two days ago I received a routine (or so I thought) update - I was wrong...
Published on January 7, 2013 by Kenneth A. Edelstein

5.0 out of 5 stars Common sense prevails, October 23, 2012
Cindy Bear (Winston Salem, NC, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: McAfeeTotal Protection 3PCs 2013 (CD-ROM)
I purchased Total Protection 2012 for my husband's laptop through Amazon in Dec 2011, and I am purchasing 2013 to have so that I can update it when it expires. I had a paid subscription with a different security company on my laptop, so I didn't install Total Protection on it. In January I got a NASTY virus (from a 'safe' website that I had visited 100's of times) on my laptop that damaged my Windows 7 and made it impossible to access the internet-even when hooked up with the cable. Needless to say once I was up and running I installed McAfee on my laptop. I have not had any trouble with my computer since. I know that there are times when 'subscription renewal' pop-ups get annoying, but I DID NOT have to enter my credit card information when I purchased Total Protection 2012-if they had asked for such, I would've returned the product for a refund. Use your head for something more than a hat rack is my advice.

1.0 out of 5 stars After 20+ YEARS - Bye Bye McAfee, January 7, 2013
This review is from: McAfeeTotal Protection 3PCs 2013 (CD-ROM)

Two days ago I received a routine (or so I thought) update - I was wrong. The interface totally changed and MOST of the options to control the software were removed. It looked a bit like win 8 (I run win 7 professional 64 bit). The new version started to "pulse" the CPU from 0 to 40% alternating every second. I'm sure that was it (as shown to the tech - more on that later) because I stopped the on access scan function and the phase for the scan function "mcshield" went to zero. Restart the on access scan function and it went back to pulsing between zero and 40% CPU utilization.

I called "clueless" tech support who initially told me I was looking at a non-mcafee process. He kinda reconsidered when I took over the remote session and showed it had a digital signature from McAfee. (he was surprised that I could prove him wrong) - kinda forgot to mention I did 20+ years of network support and have training and certs as microsoft certified systems engineer, trainer, etc.

The bottom line was being "kicked up" to "clueless level 2" that worthy suggested "It might use less CPU if you uninstall and reinstall" - of course that requires a reboot and gets rid of the pesky client who is not easily fed the standard BS. BTW: that call lasted 1 hour 20 min (yeccch).

That said - I am considering Bitdefender and Kaspersky and F-secure. However for the time being (and I just might leave it that way - I downloaded (for free) Microsoft Security Essentials - which installed and is running fine - it uses the native Win7 firewall (they are not integrated - but the win7 firewall is quite simple to configure).

As I type this I notice the desktop "gadget" showing ONE percent CPU use (Hooray!!) - I just might leave things as they are. I do not go to "strange" sites and have no desire to open links in unknown sender emails; or download junk to see what it will do.

One last thing worth mentioning. There is a site virustotal .com that will "check out" - using almost ALL of the anti virus "engines" to examine whatever you upload to it. Some of the engines are a bit fussy and might give a false positive. But, if ALL of them say it is clean - it probably is.

So, after TWO DECADES I bid farewell to McAfee - it's been a nice run - I used to be very fond of you - but no more. And a "thank you" for that additional "cleanup" program that must be run after the Win7 "add/remove" procedure - to take out the trash!

2/5/13 Update
Finally selected a "pay for" upgrade to Microsoft Security Essentials. My choice was F-Secure. It installed quietly (no reboot!) and updates VERY frequently (a good thing). When I bought the product I had a special offer to buy a year of coverage for my cell phone - which I did. I have been using F-Secure on my cell for many years. When I installed the "code number" on my cell (which had 6 months remaining) my expiration date was only 1 year from the install date - not the 18 months I expected. A call to F-Secure resolved the missing 6 months in one very quick call. Their support is 24x7 and speaks understandable american english!
Back to the PC, program works as expected, has a scheduler and seems very light on resource usage. It has VERY high marks on ability to detect potential trouble.

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible product and poor business ethics, March 30, 2013
This review is from: McAfeeTotal Protection 3PCs 2013 (CD-ROM)
While running McAfee Total Protection, I got a virus that not only wreaked havoc on my computer but also rendered McAfee completely inoperable. After a couple of days messing with support (*see footnote about terrible support) they tried to blame windows and told me that the virus would have to be removed before McAfee could be repaired and they would be happy to do that for an additional $120 minimum. So lets get this straight--I am supposed to pay extra because McAfee is incapable of protecting my computer from viruses? If this is their business model than they have no motivation to make a good product.

As opposed to spending an extra $120 on the recovery of a poor product I bought Kaspersky antivirus which immediately removed the virus. The bad news is that because the virus damaged McAfee, I am not able to unistall it (which McAfee tech support is also unable to assist with) so I am stuck with the disabled corpse of McAfee, which I refer to as McAfee Total Infection. Kaspersky is much less taxing on system resources than McAfee also.

*A note about McAfee Tech support: you can get a good idea of what their support is like by reading the moderators comments in the forums on the McAfee website. You will quickly notice a trend where every problem without a easy solution is blamed on windows---but windows is working fine, its McAfee that does not work. A quick google search will show how common this uninstall problem is, and there is no solution.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, January 14, 2013
This review is from: McAfeeTotal Protection 3PCs 2013 (CD-ROM)
McAfee would not install on Windows XP.
I tried all the means to install it, but no luck.
Even McAfee Tech support tried it 10-12 times, but couldn't figure out, whey its not installing.
It more then a month and McAfee Tech support don't have answer.

For Windows 7, it did install, but I used to get "Real Time Scanning - Off" message.
After couple of sessions with McAfee Tech Support, they were able to resolve it.
Again here, there was no way for me to know, what causing "Real Time Scanning" to go Off.

Don't waste your time & money...Go for OTHER antivirus program.

1.0 out of 5 stars Michael Angelo, January 4, 2013
This review is from: McAfeeTotal Protection 3PCs 2013 (CD-ROM)
Product would not install properly on pretty new laptop. I don't think it was debugged for distribution. Would recommend waiting until stabilized. Hope it can be removed without damaging pc.

1.0 out of 5 stars I do not recommend this product, January 5, 2013
This review is from: McAfeeTotal Protection 3PCs 2013 (CD-ROM)
I have worked in the IT industry for over 14 years. I have spend roughly 12 of those years as a network analyst working on routers, switches, firewalls, intrusion prevention amongst other technologies. This is quite possibly the worst product I have ever seen. For starters, Microsoft SMB (tcp 139 and 445) ports are left open. These are the most sought after ports by hackers on the internet and they allow inbound access by default out of the box. In addition, SQL and Microsoft access, database link, ports are left open inbound. NetBios ports by default are left open. To top it all off, if you change these settings they will mysteriously return to the default configuration (which includes have the IPS turned off) rendering the firewall and IPS totally useless. There is simply no excuse for this type of carelessness in a product made by a reputable manufacturer. If you want an antivirus, check out Avast or AVG for free. The security portion of this......firewall will simply make you more vulnerable to hackers than if you simply ran the windows firewall by itself, which this product disables by the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, December 23, 2012
This review is from: McAfeeTotal Protection 3PCs 2013 (CD-ROM)
Every year I purchase this product to protect three systems I currently use and to this day all systems have been running virus free.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unless you want a migraine, don't buy this., December 21, 2012
This review is from: McAfeeTotal Protection 3PCs 2013 (CD-ROM)
Do NOT order this. It crashed my 3 month old computer. Can now only open in safe mode and have no Windows access, also wiped out my Microsoft office, and if I could ever open laptop the normal way would be able to reinstall Office. Sorry, I'm not a computer expert, but in a nutshell, it crashed, I fixed everything after days of looking for help online, and then foolishly I tried to reinstall. It immediately crashed (that's how I know it was McAfee), and now will have to purchase and reinstall Windows 7 disc, still not certain that will fix the problem. I won't be ordering the disc from Amazon. If you don't believe me, start checking Google for McAfee problems. I've never written a review before. This doesn't even rate one star.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boggy piece of crap, buy it and you buy problems!, January 14, 2013
Science lover "Sophia" (4 Feet firmly planted on the ground) - See all my reviews
This review is from: McAfeeTotal Protection 3PCs 2013 (CD-ROM)
I tried McAfee Total Protection and hated it. Super Boggy software. After 1 week the software broke and would not update, created registry errors, and hosed up my pc. The File Lock "feature" kicked in with every attempt to update and I had to reboot to reconnect to the internet every hour or two while troubleshooting the problems myself. Pain in the behind. Don't do it!

However, I have been running McAfee Internet Security for several months and have been very happy.
Mcafee Internet Security 2012 - 3 Users [Old Version]
I prefer this basic lightweight version of McAfee Anti Virus/Malware protection, it doesn't bog down your system. The cache cleaner (QuickCleaner) is also very handy. I am sticking with that program in lieu of this more expensive and boggy "Total Protection" ... a so called upgraded version.

** Better yet/Best deal: buy the 2010 or 2011 subscription version and McAfee automatically downloads the 2013 updated files for 1 year.
McAfee Internet Security 2011 - for up to 3-Users
McAfee Internet Security 2010 or 2011 - for 1 or up to 3-Users (currently selling for $1 - $7) Screaming deal!

Your subscription is good for 1 year from the time that you install.

Never renew through McAfee, too pricey. Just buy another old version and update the license code.

Forget about "Technical Support" from McAfee. They claim 24/7 support, which will get you their super slow Chat "support". The Call Center doesn't work 24/7. Go figure. Both Chat and/or thier phone/remote assistance is a joke, plan on spending up to an hour while you wait for the connection, then wait longer while they muddle their way through an attempt at troubleshooting. Either way, you will eventually be connected to an unnamed Eastern country, and waste a whole lot of time and patience dealing with those numb nuts. I swear during the 3 contacts that I made to them, they must have been texting their buddies while I waited for responses which came at a snails pace (over 5 minutes for each response, no kidding!). I ended up uninstalling myself after 1 hour on my 3rd tech support call they wanted to uninstall it for me and reload. No I don't think so. I permanently uninstalled and went back to Intenet Security.

Travel light and go with the basic Internet Security version for AV & malware protection. It has all of the basics: firewall, AV scanner (email, realtime & scheduled scans), online backup addon, network protection, cache cleaner, email anti spam, and parental controls. That is all that I have needed, and have been happy with it. Hopefully I won't ever have to deal with their under qualified tech staff again.

Other options: Kaspersky is great software, but boggy and too many options to set up. I also used AVG in the past, but it didn't offer the best protection and I had undetected invasions. ESET has the best reputation, but I have never used it.

Steer clear of Norton for AV/Malware: generates a migraine magnitude headache. Nothing but problems. However, their Ghost program is good.

I hope that this review saves you some money, time, and frustration.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mcafee product key, December 27, 2012
This review is from: McAfeeTotal Protection 3PCs 2013 (CD-ROM)
The product key never worked. I tried several times. I even called Mcafee, but they were uncuccessful in validating it

McAfeeTotal Protection 3PCs 2013
McAfeeTotal Protection 3PCs 2013 by McAfee (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
$79.99 $13.99