Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: McDougal Littell Algebra 1 (McDougal Littell Mathematics)
$5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it

Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 21, 2004
I can't believe the negative reviews submitted by others on this text. The text is meant to be used with all of the ancillary materials (Workbooks,Personal Tutor CD-ROM, Notetaking Guide, etc.) There are also transparencies for every chapter. The entire mathematics program from Larson is designed with this format. These are high school level mathematics courses and at the Houghton Mifflin website you will find college level mathematics courses by the same author. In fact, this author takes you from beginning Algebra all the way to Calculus and Differential Equations (high school thru college). I was so impressed with the computer tutorial CD-ROM because everything is explained in detail and there are computer quizzes to take after every lesson segment. These quizzes were designed to verify comprehension of the material before the student moves forward to the next lesson. Great job by all of those involved in putting this program together!
on June 14, 2006
Don't listen to what the other people are saying. I got first hand experience on this book. I must say that this is probably the best and most easy to understand math book i have ever used. The answer key in the back allows the user to assure that their answers are correct. If you are considering buying this book, i must say YES, DEFINATELY BUY THIS BOOK, IT WILL BE WORTH YOUR WHILE!!!!
on June 19, 2014
I am homeschooling my nephew and I just bought this book for him to use.This is the book they use in our district. Can a student learn Algebra from just using this book? NO! The value in this book is the myriad of practice problems available to the student. That being said, you need the corresponding Teacher's Edition for the answers (unless you want to work them out yourself). A teacher very knowledgeable in the subject is necessary, especially to help a student tie concepts together.
Learning Algebra is like learning to fly a plane. No matter how good a book is, you need someone to show you how to do it right, or you crash and burn.
VINE VOICEon December 17, 2012
I think that a book designed to teach math should have the right answers for the lessons. This book has a reputation among my son's classmates for having a lot of errors. For example a problem I just did with him was

m/-6 = 8. The text book says the answer is 48. The answer is -48. My sons comment was that he and his friends have found a lot of errors like this throughout this book.

I recommend you do not buy this book. It also calls into question the editorial skills of Houghton Mifflin's division called McDougal Littell.

It also says to me that the five star reviews for this book are either very generous or perhaps they have not really used this textbook.

The reason I am marking the score so low (2 star) is because it is a textbook for math and the errors are math answers. That's terrible in my opinion-especially since it is not just one or two but a pattern showing a lack of care by the publisher.
on July 31, 2013
It's just okay. Better lessons and explanations on the internet. In my opinion, this book is worthless without classroom instruction.
on February 20, 2013
This is truly a school textbook. It is meant to compliment a professional teacher's classroom, not homeschool friendly. In fact, it just frustrated my poor son and the online practices were even worse. I wouldn't recommend this for homeschool. A neighbor let me borrow her Saxon Homeschool kit and that brought light back into my son's desire to learn, again.
on October 20, 2010
Hi All,
I bought this book after reading a review that the practice book had answers at the back. It turned to be wrong...Please do not write wrong info, any1.
The book by itself is good for Algebra practice if the kid or whoever is learning it has an expert guide or teacher available offhand. Without the answer key, it would be impossible for a novice learner to ever know if he got the wrong or right answer!!
Go for the book if you are confident of your Algebra skills... I bought this book as a supplement with the original Textbook.... it is same chapter by chapter.I have some help.
on March 2, 2007
I used this book in 9th grade overall it was a pretty good book. It gives for the most part clear explanations on how to do the work. A problem is that some of the examples were a lot easier than the book work was. But if you pay attention to the teacher that shouldnt be a problem. It has all the uneven answers in the back so you can see how your doing which is a good thing. Overall not bad it got me through algebra all right and combined with teacher explanations you should understand it.
on March 24, 2011
When Houghton Mifflin lost Mary P. Dolciani (due to death in 1996) and therefore could no longer author their best selling math series since the 60's, HM turned to Ron Larson. I will make this brief and simple. As an ex- math teacher, his texts are horrible, a pale comparison to the sainted Dr. Dolciani. Poorly written, confusing, as one review stated "over 1020 pages for an Algebra 1 book" the Lawson series of textbooks is just a teaching and learning disaster. Stay away from any of his texts!
on November 17, 2013
I never gave a book review 1 star before. But I wanted to gave it a 1 today because there is no zero star rating. My kid is taking algebra 1 with this as textbook I tried to read this text book and found it so segmental and lack of logic in general. E.g. It talks about real numbers but never gave a clear description of the concept, the relation and real examples. It is more like a work book than a textbook. No wonder kids struggle with algebra when they do not have continuous logic instruction from the teacher because there is a little you can gain from reading it. I completely agree with another reviewer that this book is useless without proper instruction.