5.0 out of 5 stars Clarification for those McLintock fans!
Buy the AUTHENTIC version-ASIN: B000ANVPPQ (McLintock Wayne Authorized Edition), DO NOT buy ASIN: B000006OS2 (McLintock).

I noticed that reviews on the two dvd's are being mixed together, and making it difficult for others to distinguish between the wonderful feedback of the former to that of the God awful latter dvd.
Published on March 25, 2007 by ForeverBooks

1.0 out of 5 stars McClintock DVD is of very poor quality
Published on December 4, 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarification for those McLintock fans!, March 25, 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars McLintock - Great movie...buy the AUTHORIZED version!, October 21, 1999
Al Lambert (Raleigh, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: McLintock! (DVD)
I've been a McLintock fan since 1963...when it came out to the movies. My dad took me to see it on my 11th birthday. I held off buying the VHS version once I discovered the Wayne Foundation had not released an "authorized" copy. Once it did, I purchased three...just in case one got damaged! Yes...I love the movie. For DVD customers....it IS worth the wait. If, as you can see from other reviews, the transfer quality to DVD is poor, then why waste your money now, when you can (HOPEFULLY!!) purchase the legitimate product when the Wayne Foundation releases it! This is a GREAT movie for all ages. Kids love the shenanigans, teens like the romance, and us old-timers just like an easy-on-the-eyes and -ears movie with a happy ending. This is the only movie review I've ever written, but the movie was worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paramounts the one, October 23, 2005
M. A. Doyon (Jewett City, Connecticut United States) - See all my reviews
Paramount has done a great job with the four movies in their collection-island in the sky, the high and the mighty, mclintock, and hondo. I wish that the reviewers state if the copy they're reviewing is the paramount copy just released or the other vastly inferior copies. That way Paramount won't get a bad rap for dreck they didn't produce.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's official! McLintock! has arrived!, October 10, 2005
Glenn M. Schoditsch (Richmond, Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
Okay, everybody agrees that the Goodtimes Home Video release ranks right up there with Pacific Family Entertainment. Only good for the shredder. But alas, Batjac Productions along with Paramount Home Video has finally released a digitally remastered McLintock! and many other great JW films. Just too many wonderful comments to mention of this wonderful western.

So long to 'Goodtimes Home Video', whose release was just plain 'Bad Times' along with all the other crumby distributors who released horrible iterations of this classic motion picture. I have archived away the 'official' VHS version and am enjoying the new digitally retored, OAR special 'packed with extra' edition of McLintock!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is A Five Star Movie! But Amazon Needs To Ensure Reviews Are Relevant To The Version Being Reviewed!, June 7, 2008
Please do not confuse consumer complaints, and their one star reviews, about the quality of the DVD (which definitely does not apply to this DVD version), with the quality of the movie. "McLintock" is one of John Wayne's best movies, combining comedy--for which Wayne was not well recognized--and western genres. "McLintock" was the second John Wayne movie ("Stagecoach," his finest, being the first) I showed my three sons as I introduced each of them to the wonder of the greatest film star of all time. While I feel that "Quite Man," also with Maureen O'Hara, is the film Wayne should have won the Oscar for Best Actor, and rivals and parallels "McLintock," the "Quite Man" is more for adults than the entire family. I loved "McLintock" when I saw it on the big screen in 1963, I was thrilled when it came out in VHS (although the quality was bad), and I am honored to own McLintock! (Authentic Collector's Edition). I just wish that AMAZON.COM would differentiate reviews for each version of a movie, as most of the bad reviews of movies are about the disk quality or some other aspect of the product, and not about the movie itself. Hence, the overall reviewer rating for "McLintock" is three stars, mostly, if not entirely, because previously released versions had major quality issues. But those bad reviews serve to inhibit people from buying the "McLintock! (Authentic Collector's Edition)" version. Granted, quality is an issue; but one that needs to be addressed to the studios, not the movie. Thus, if I need a lift, I turn to "McLintock," because it has humor, sarcasm, and hope--not because the quality of the disk or features are less than desired.

This delightfully wonderful film essentially spawned a new genre, western comedies, which ultimately lead to Lee Marvin's Oscar for Best Actor in a Leading Role. "McLintock" also reunited John Wayne with Maureen O'Hara, one of the few actors who could push Wayne to do his best work--in deed, I would include all of their (I believe eight) movies in the top 20 movies John Wayne made. I would like to note that this was NOT their last movie--as stated in other reviews--together, "Big Jake" (1971) being one that comes to mind immediately.

While Amazon's review pans the bonus features--again, something that has nothing to do with how great the film is--I found them quite entertaining and interesting.

Update--1 July 2008: If this review was not helpful to you, I would appreciate learning the reason(s) so I can improve my reviews. My goal is to provide help to potential buyers, not get into any arguments. So, if you only disagree with my opinion, could you please say so in the comments and not indicate that the review was not helpful. Thanks.

1.0 out of 5 stars McClintock DVD is of very poor quality, December 4, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: McLintock! (DVD)
I have previously purchased this movie on video casette. It was the authorized version by the Wayne family and is of excellant quality. I looked forward to viewing this movie on DVD, but was very disappointed in the quality of the Good Times edition. The sound quality is that of an old print of a black and white 1930's western. It is scratchy and very annoying to listen to. This wasn't a digitally remastered print of the original film. Good Times simply copied an old out of date print of the film onto DVD. The picture quality is poor with lines and evidence of the wear and tear of countless theater and TV viewings. I would suggest that anyone wanting to purchase a DVD of this film wait until a reputable company releases an authorized version that can be enjoyed. I certainly felt ripped off after watching ten minutes of this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE REAL DEAL!!!!!!!, September 7, 2005
Folks, The dvd pictured here is the real deal! No more nasty Trashy looking copies. Paramount Pictures is releasing this, right from the Wayne estate vaults. THANK GOD!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars WITTY, SLAM-BANG DIALOGUE BETWEEN TWO SCREEN GEMS, June 9, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: McLintock! (DVD)
John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara - I don't believe there's ever been another screen couple who can make the verbal, and romantic, sparks fly the way they do. Of all the movies I've owned over 18 years ofcollecting, none makes me laugh-out-loud as much as this one, even on repeated viewings. The dialogue crackles with testy good-humor, and the cast of supporting characters (Chill Wills, Edgar Buchanan) adds immensely to the fun. Sour note - this film absolutely screams out for a letterboxed or enhanced for 16:9 widescreen version. There are WAY TOO MANY characters missing in the poor pan and scan framing, "barely there" profile shots, characters talking to an off-screen presence. Also, the extremely poor DVD quality actually detracts from enjoyment of this fun film. It looks like a 3rd or 4th generation tape transfer. A sad way to treat such a popular film. Summary: Content - 5 stars, transfer quality - 1 star.

2.0 out of 5 stars GREAT MOVIE, AWFUL SOUND!, November 14, 1999
This review is from: McLintock (1963) (Sp) (VHS Tape)
Words cannot express how disappointed I am by the quality of this tape. Expecting the wonderful movie that so many know and love, I purchased this video only to discover on the back of the video sleeve that this is an edited version of the original. That's fine, but what these people did is unacceptable! They deleted all the original music, including background music, plus they deleted voices, and background sounds and replaced them! I could not even recognize John Wayne's drawl, (I don't think it's even his voice) and Maureen O'Hara's brogue has been replaced with the voice of someone else! On top of that, the timing is way off! I ended up turning the sound off and watching the movie in silence. Still a wonderful view, but for someone who went so far as to name her daughter "Kathryn" after the spirited character O'Hara plays, I am thoroughly disgusted. This change should be noted in the description for those of us who care about quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, Poor DVD, January 2, 2005
This review is from: Mclintock (DVD)
This is a fun movie. John Wayne, Maureen Ohara, Stephanie Powers, the Duke's son Patrick, plus all the other actors, must have had a ball making this film. It shows. Unfortunately, the DVD is so bad, you can not enjoy it. I don't know when the John Wayne estate will release an authorized DVD, but I MOST HIGHLY RECOMMEND you wait for it.

McLintock