5.0 out of 5 stars Educational fun with lots of laughs!
I just purchased this game, and my Mom and I played for about an hour! This game is simple, lively and entertaining with no complex rules, no small pieces to loose, and yet is one of the funnest games I've ever played! It also teaches sentence structure, grammar, vocabulary, spelling, and overall language skills. I recommend this game to everyone!
Published on May 15, 2007 by Nefabit Miew

3.0 out of 5 stars Two wishes for improvement, otherwise pleased
Published 9 months ago by E. Springer

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational fun with lots of laughs!, May 15, 2007
This review is from: You've Been Sentenced (Toy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Flexable, Great Game for Families and Friends age 9 and up., June 4, 2009
This review is from: You've Been Sentenced (Toy)
I play this game without keeping score with my 9 and 13 year old daughters. It can be played for 5 minutes to hours depending on your schedule. It is just as much fun for 2 players as it is for a group or 10. The add on decks are lots of fun but not necessary. This can turn into a grammar lesson along with just for fun of it.
Reading is required along for some sense of sentence structure. Most 3rd graders and many 2nd graders will be able to play this game. It is just as fun for adults as it is for kids. Does not require holding of cards so those with dexterity issues can play this also.
Scoring is easy but not necessary for fun. Timer is provided but not necessary. Can play as individuals or in teams.
I reveiwed the directions for a few minutes and the kids did a learn as you play hand. We were all having fun in minutes after opening the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarity reigns!, January 5, 2012
This review is from: You've Been Sentenced (Toy)
I first played this game with a group of my siblings,ages 40-60, and my 84-yr old mother. It was hilarious and we all laughed for an hour. I haven't felt so good in a long time! At first I thought it was going to be very difficult, but after the first round everyone caught on and quickly developed our own strategies for constructing sentences in record time. You can use only the words on the cards you've drawn and can't add any words, even like "the" "a" "of", etc., so some of the sentences, although very funny, have very suspect construction and if challenged, you have to defend your sentence. That brings it's own kind of fun. The star of the game was our elderly mother, who kept up with us on every round. I bought this to play with my own family. My children are ages 21-30.

3.0 out of 5 stars Two wishes for improvement, otherwise pleased, December 7, 2013
This review is from: You've Been Sentenced (Toy)
One fixable flaw: the ratio of "filler words" is low, resulting in players pressed into making "headline-style" sentences (which are actually forbidden by the rules, and harder for kids to get the hang of, and just generally awkward). If you depend on the chance shuffle to get filler-word cards, you may end up with a whole hand that's entirely nouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs. So, I've bundled most of the filler-word cards (ones with prepositions, pronouns, conjunctions, etc., as well as wild cards) and we make sure that each player is dealt a hand that includes two (or even three) from the filler-words deck.

Less easily fixable: The name cards (each offering five choices based on an initial letter) are skewed towards someone's favorite population of celebrities and historical figures -- 85% male, in terms of real-life names used in the game -- plus some silly alliterative stereotypes on male and female names (Superior Scott, Roaring Ricky, Gorgeous Gina, Pretty Paula). Thankfully, there's always a wild-card option on each name card. Still, this makes me less enthusiastic about playing, especially with kids, because of the implicit message that of course it's more fun to make up sentences about men.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Whole Lot of Fun for Everyone!, July 17, 2007
This review is from: You've Been Sentenced (Toy)
We pulled this game out on GAME NIGHT with a dozen of our 30 something friends. It turned out to be the funnest game we played. We were laughing hysterically and had an awesome time. This is a BEST KEPT secret game that I expect will become very popular once the word gets out about just how fun it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars You've Been Sentenced Review by Dad's Gaming Addiction, October 8, 2013
You've Been Sentenced: 3-10 Players, Ages 8+, Average Play Time = 30-45 Minutes

First, let me get my complaints out of the way. The pencil doesn't fit in its place in the box, at least, not without its tip rubbing up against the cards. I removed the pencil from the box to prevent it from marking up the cards. Next, the scoresheet could have been a little simpler. Drawing lines on the track after adding the current round's score with the previous round's score just seems a little messy to me. A name, some blank spaces beneath that name to mark scores, and boom...done. It could be just me, but I find the old, "write your score under your column" approach to be the simplest way to go about doing it.

Okay, enough of that. There are over five hundred cards, so the sheer amount of combinations one can be presented with is pretty unbelievable. The odds are extremely good that you won't ever be dealt the same ten cards in your lifetime. There are also a lot of variants listed in the manual to give players other ideas on how to play. Personally, I put the score sheet aside and just enjoyed the experience of putting sentences together with the kids. No sand timer, no rushing, no beating someone else...just good, educational fun. Haters gonna hate, but it works for us. Games are serious business, don't you know? I mean c'mon! Quit having fun! We're trying to play a game here! *Huge Over-Exaggerated Sigh*

This game is an excellent example of how learning should be. The boys had a lot of fun putting sentences together and I equally enjoyed helping them fine tune their sentence structure. They came up with some extremely silly sentences, but little did they know that they were practicing their English at the same time. You've Been Sentenced is definitely a great game for families and I highly recommend it, especially for its educational value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, January 6, 2008
Rena M. "Rena" (Springfield, Mo USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You've Been Sentenced (Toy)
I bought this as a gift for my teenage niece & nephew who love to play board games. In fact, the entire family does,especially when they come for overnight stays at my home. This game is imaginative and fun. Not only are you thinking thru a sentence structure but must use that in a paragraph when challenged. Makes one think more than just rolling dice and moving an object thru a maze of squares. This is a good game for any age and provides hours of fun. You've Been Sentenced!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really funny family and social game, May 5, 2012
This review is from: You've Been Sentenced (Toy)
I hosted a game event at my new house in Berlin. 20 players come from England, U.S., Germany, Spain, China ranging in ages 20s to 50s. We played this game, ALL players LOVED this game, there were a lot of absurdly funny sentences, and a lot of LAUGHTERs. It's really funny when people try to defend their sentences, discussions of grammars, meanings. This becomes the favorate game of everyone. [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Knew Grammar Could Be So Much Fun?, May 13, 2013
This review is from: You've Been Sentenced (Toy)
That's right, who knew grammar could be so much fun? Not me and certainly not my sons ages 10 and 8. I bought this game as a supplement to our home school. We are always looking for fun ways to reinforce what we are learning. My husband, his parents, and my two sons all played the game together shortly after we received it in the mail. I was pleasantly surprised at how well my sons put together a grammatically correct sentence. Considering how the game is played, I thought it would be harder for them. I think the boys actually do well at it because they find the crazy sentences humorous and don't get hung up on how much sense they make, unlike me. In fact, I think that is their favorite part to the whole game. I also like the various point values on the different words. It pushes them to try and use a harder word in their sentence so they can get higher points and builds their grammar at the same time. I think the only downfall to the game is the objective voting. It helps to be clear on what exactly you are all voting on before hand. We love this game and look forward to playing it more often and introducing it to more of our friends. I also like the fact that there are expansion packs available.

5.0 out of 5 stars No doubt the funnest group game ever since CatchPhrase, July 5, 2007
Amazon Customer (Potomac Falls, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You've Been Sentenced (Toy)
This game is incredibly easy to set up (scatter the cards face down in the middle), easy to explain to a group, hysterically funny, and easy to clean up! Need I say more?

You've Been Sentenced