5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a peasant's pub lunch, but a true Irish Cookbook!
I love cookbooks, creating a cookbook collection, and cooking. I've never been satisfied by the Irish ones I have though, which has been a lament as I am an Irish lass. The recipes in other books tend to come in fits and starts, and some need modifying...until this gem.

Published on August 17, 2004 by rtistelle

1.0 out of 5 stars I was not at all happy with this cookbook
I was not at all happy with this cookbook. It lacks illustrations and photos and has way too many recipes for alcohol drinks. This is suppose to be a cookbook not a bartender's recipe book. Very disappointing.
Published 10 days ago by Judy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a peasant's pub lunch, but a true Irish Cookbook!, August 17, 2004
This review is from: Mcguire's Irish Pub Cookbook (Hardcover)

I can throw my other Irish cookbooks away; all I need is this full-bodied book. I made Irish Whiskey Balls and Colcannon Pie for my office for St Paddy's Day. Raves all around from a discerning audience (some are Bon Appetite diehards). Everyone wanted the pie recipe who tasted it.

So far, not a recipe tragedy in any one I've tried. McGuire's Irish Pub Cookbook already feels like an old friend and trusted companion, partly because of its good storyline as well. I expect many good years with it by my side. Maybe a trip to Florida is on the horizon as it would be fun to check out the hearth of this pub.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars You've posted your dollar, now buy the book, June 19, 2000
This review is from: Mcguire's Irish Pub Cookbook (Hardcover)
I came across this cookbook quite accidentally and bought it sight unseen. It is probably the best cookbook purchase I have ever made. Anyone who has been to MacGuire's knows that the food is almost as exquiste and the scenery. I made "Paddy's Artichoke and Spinach Dip" for a dinner party and everyone was asking for the recipe. A definite buy for anyone who loves to entertain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Recipes!!, May 31, 2003
Biblioholic Beth (Portland, Oregon USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mcguire's Irish Pub Cookbook (Hardcover)
Never having been to McGuire's Pub, I bought the book more out of curiosity. It has become one of my favorite cookbooks as well as my husband's. The recipes range from casual to great for entertaining and most are relatively simple to follow. Now that we have moved to Florida, I plan to visit the real thing soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Irish Content in Irish-American Pub Recipes., February 28, 2006
This review is from: Mcguire's Irish Pub Cookbook (Hardcover)
`McGuire's Irish Pub Cookbook' by cookbook author for hire, Jessie Tirsch is a book-length add for the bar and restaurant in Pensacola, Florida by the same name. While this may immediately discredit the book in some people's minds, I found this to be an excellent presentation if Irish-American bar food, with the Irish influence being dominant.

Two words of warning to people whom may be encouraged to visit McGuire's Irish Pub. The first is that like Boston's `The Bull and Finch', the model for the bar portrayed in the TV series, `Cheers', `McGuire's' promises to be very busy, turning over a chair about once every half hour, in their public rooms. When I visited `The Bull and Finch', I barely had time to have a pint of beer and score a beer class including the `Cheers' logo plus a tee-shirt. The second is that many recipes in this book are not actually served at the pub today. But, neither of these considerations detracts in any way from the quality of the book.

My basis for evaluating this book is my recently reviewed `The Scottish-Irish Pub and Hearth Cookbook' by Kay Shaw Nelson. The first thing that comes home to me is the similarity of available shellfish in Scotland and Ireland compared to the shellfish available in the Gulf of Mexico. Both `terroirs;' have ample supplies of fresh shrimp (prawns), oysters, mussels, and clams. Thus, subtropical Pensacola can do a great imitation of dishes from the oceanic fauna of the North Sea and the North Atlantic. The second thing where I find a great parallel between American pubs and Scotch - Irish pubs is the fact that the hamburger in its many permutations is a staple bar food for both regions. I was so surprised to find so many good hamburger recipes in Ms. Nelson's book that I was tempted to believe the hamburger was an Irish invention.

This book begins with a very long illustrated Foreword by the bar's owners, McGuire and Molly Martin which chronicles the history of the bar, supplemented with many excellent pictures of some of the bar's more interesting interior decorations, featuring the mythical Uncle Nathan and some of the 12 huge moose heads.

The book begins, I am very pleased to say, with a chapter on breads and brunch. This is appropriate not only because it begins with brunch, but it also has all the recipes for the breads and rolls used for hamburgers and the like in later chapters. Most recipes are recognizably Irish, although at least three are clearly from that very un-Irish country, Italy, with the very similar flag.

The remaining chapters are:

And With It All: Side Dishes

The Eating of the Green: Salads

Celebrations: Passionate Potables

Sweet Sign-Offs: Heavenly Desserts

St. Pat Tricks: Tips, Techniques, Stocks, Etc.

I just had to check if the salads chapter included a recipe with watercress, the original shamrock. Oddly, I found that close to half of the salads recipes were based on pasta and seafood, but with lots of representatives of the spinach, cabbage, and carrot clans.

The last chapter on general techniques is useful, but pretty familiar to experienced amateur cooks. The desserts chapter is generally true to Irish puddings, tarts and use of fruits. I was just a bit surprised at the many desserts including chocolate, as this is not a big ingredient in native Irish recipes.

Every chapter seems to be a bit over half of true Irish recipes, with the remainder being imports from French and Italian cuisines, especially Italian. Several of the new inventions are interesting, but my favorite is the `Baby Reuben Egg Rolls with Honey-Beer Mustard'. Like basil and tomatoes, the pairing of corned beef and cabbage (or sauerkraut) is so great that the pairing seems to work in just about any preparation, especially with its constant companions, beer and mustard.

If you don't want the ad and the blarney in the headnotes, and want something a bit more authentic, get `The Scottish-Irish Pub and Hearth Cookbook', but if all you want are good Irish-American bar food recipes, you will not be disappointed with this offering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical pub fare, April 18, 2004
This review is from: Mcguire's Irish Pub Cookbook (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a companion to the "Complete Encylopaedia of Beer", thinking it would have pub sandwiches and onion rings. We just love this book! We have made the Basil Shrimp and the Smoked Salmon Bisque. They were very good, not complicated to make. Now we just have to pick which one to try next! There are several Irish dishes, but they are more appetizing than the standard corned beef and cabbage. Each recipe is accompanied by a little history or story, which makes for more interesting and fun cooking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook, but missing a few essential favorites, January 2, 2005
This review is from: Mcguire's Irish Pub Cookbook (Hardcover)
I admit that I was really excited to find this book. We ate at McGuire's in Pensacola a couple of times, and I desperately wanted their Shepard's Pie recipe. It's not in the book! It's one of the most popular dishes at the restaurant. Furthermore, the recipe for that incredible brown bread that they serve at the table is not in the book either!

I was planning a special birthday party for my very-Irish mother, and really wanted to make both of these for her. It was pretty disappointing. However, the dessert choices were amazing.

If you are buying this to be able to have recipes from your favorite dishes from the restaurant, you may be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mcguire's Irish Pub Cook Book is great !, March 14, 2013
This review is from: Mcguire's Irish Pub Cookbook (Hardcover)
I purchased this to give my neighbor as a gift. After I browsed through it, I bought my neighbor something else. I like the fact that almost all the ingredients are items I normally have on hand. The cookbook is easy to read and has all the steps spelled out so it's easy to follow.
The recipes are very tasty. Each recipe also has a comment at the beginning about the history or ideas for subsitution to save money or serving ideas.
I would recommend this cookbook! Now I have to buy another one for my neighbor ...........

5.0 out of 5 stars Many years eating at McGuires, March 18, 2010
This review is from: Mcguire's Irish Pub Cookbook (Hardcover)
I'm extremely frustrated my dishes turn out good, but theirs turn out GREAT! Atmosphere and real Irish cooks must be the difference.

You can't go wrong with this book. I've cooked everything in it so far, and while absolutely nothing came out bad, I still don't have the Irish touch to compete with the real thing!

Well written, even an average cook will do well with this book. WELL worth the money as it sells for $26 in the gift shop! =)

4.0 out of 5 stars No place like McGuire's, April 18, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Mcguire's Irish Pub Cookbook (Hardcover)
No visit to Pensacola, Florida is complete without visiting McGuire's, an institution if there ever was one. An incredibly fun place to eat, and you could occupy yourself for hours just looking at all its stuff! The Cookbook captures much of the feel of the place, the flavor, if you will. Most might buy it as a souvenier, but the recepies are worth trying!

5.0 out of 5 stars c\Cook book, Mcguires, December 3, 2013
This review is from: Mcguire's Irish Pub Cookbook (Hardcover)
My wife love's the cook book, we have enjoyed the food, the ham and bean soup was great. The cook book came in good shape

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Mcguire's Irish Pub Cookbook
Mcguire's Irish Pub Cookbook by Jessie Tirsch (Hardcover - April 30, 1998)
$24.95 $20.00