5.0 out of 5 stars Not the "norm" for comedy
Published on July 18, 2011 by P. J. Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars Should have been called "Me saying you know"
Norm seems to suffer from using the phrase "You Know" too much.
If I knew, I wouldn't be listen. I notice that a lot of people suffer from the "You Know" disease. The one thing I hate more than people who say "you know" a lot are the ones who say the word "EPIC".
Published 15 months ago by Salvawhoray

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the "norm" for comedy, July 18, 2011
P. J. Brown "comedy harlot" (Malden, Massachusetts United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me Doing Stand-Up (Audio CD)
Oh, man. Norm MacDonald is an underappreciated comedian among his peers. Known for his Weekend Update stint on SNL, his ABC sitcom and his now cult classic film Dirty Work, Norm MacDonald almost glossed over his origins as a comedian first and foremost...until now. This album beautifully captures Norm onstage. He tackles lots of dark material (mortality,the proper way to be a serial killer) but he speaks about it with biting wit. He's also unique in how he sets up a premise and doesn't commit to fleshing it out beyond the basic elements, like when he riffs on sex in a way I've never heard any male comic riff on that subject. And he even dusts off the topic of O.J. Simpson in an undated fashion. I'm mostly trying not give away the best moments of this album, but here's another vote of confidence. I chuckled after my initial listen, and the next day, I was reciting them to myself at work, and I couldn't stop giggling every other line. This is a f%$#ing AWESOME comedy album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, February 17, 2013
Brandon (MINERAL, VIRGINIA, United States) - See all my reviews
This is probably one of my favorite stand-up albums. It keeps me laughing the whole time. Their are parts where I started crying from laughing so much. His laid back delivery while telling off the wall horrible stories is a killer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Me Reviewing Him Doing Stand Up, June 7, 2012
It seems there's been a dearth of really stellar comedy in the past five years or so. Louis CK, of course, has helped revive the industry with one amazing album after the other (I haven't yet listened to a set of his that I didn't love). Others -- Patton Oswalt, Jim Gaffigan, Daniel Tosh, Doug Benson -- are workhorses, but they have started to lose some of their edge. Still others -- Anthony Jeselnik, Kyle Kinane -- have taken the scene in new, off-beat, or intriguing directions, but they have yet to really prove themselves. In spite of all of this, though, it seems like the comedy scene has stalled and staled somewhat since the early 2000s. There are a lot of albums out there, but few of them are consistently funny, and even fewer of those are worth multiple repeats.

Norm, however, has provided a refreshing change of pace.

If you haven't heard of Norm Macdonald before, be warned that he's about as vulgar and offensive as it gets, but he does it all with a lackadaisical charm that makes it seem almost harmless. His delivery rides the line between awkwardness and self-confidence. He doesn't display the relentless ego of a Dane Cook or Daniel Tosh, but neither does he completely shred himself to bits like Louis CK or Patton Oswalt. He delivers his words like a man who both laments and accepts his various flaws, and this endears him to the audience. His jokes sound like they are being made up on the spot, as if he is simply bantering with friends, and that seeming spontaneity adds a freshness to each punchline.

Of course, Norm's humor doesn't just reside in punchlines, which is another part of the treat. The funniest parts are often merely in the pauses, the changes in tone, brief (seemingly ad libbed) asides, or even in the rambling length of some of his more absurd stories. Norm's just as funny when he's talking about things that are real and grim (bowel cancer) as when he is going off on bizarre, fantastical rants (good old widow Hamilton comes to mind).

Norm's topics range from mortality, today's 24-hour news cycle (easily one of the best extended bits I've heard from a comedian), booze, sex, and even a few famous guys. (It's a testament to Macdonald's skill that even his quick bit on O.J. manages to avoid feeling as tacky and dated as the topic matter.) The subject matter itself isn't particularly unique, but Norm's relaxed and playful delivery and his off-beat perspective make even these standard and mundane topics seem new and, of course, hilarious.

A perfect mix of light and dark with sweet and crude, this album is an absolute must for anyone who is a fan of comedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed, then laughed some more, August 24, 2011
i always include reference points so you'll know what *I* think is good, quality humor. among my favorites: carlin, black, hedberg, bamford, kirkman, newhart, tosh, birbiglia and more....i laughed out loud at this album numerous times. then i re-listened and laughed some more. it's very very good, very well done. norm walks that incredibly fine line between surrealism, stupidity and brilliance and never loses his balance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Norm is God, July 23, 2014
This review is from: Me Doing Stand-Up (Audio CD)
Oh man, I love Norm. In a completely heterosexual way, of course...I've been a Norm MacDonald fan since I first saw him on SNL back in 1996. I was one of those guys who'd watched SNL since the very beginning, and I was snobbish about how much greater the original cast was than any of the subsequent groups. But it only took about a month of watching Norm do the news to admit he was by far the best Weekend Update guy ever. And that hasn't changed. Chevy? Awesome. Miller? A riot. Fey? Genius. But Norm? Norm was transcendent.
I must admit I haven't followed his career much over the last decade, and I really didn't know what to expect when I purchased "Me doing stand-up". I didn't expect him to equal his incredible '90's output, naturally; I just hoped he's still have enough good gags to form a full CD. What a doofus I am. Once a genius, always a genius. His very first bit, about death, had me laughing uproariously. 15 minutes in, when he was imparting just what he would do if he were a serial killer, I had tears in my eyes. Seriously, I haven't laughed this hard in many years.
So don't hesitate! Buy this CD. It's chock full of witty insights, amusing repartee...and dirty, dirty sex. Norm rules!

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, June 14, 2014
James Chambless (Waverly, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me Doing Stand-Up (Audio CD)
Some of this was really funny. It is vulgar, so don't be playing it around people you don't want to offend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining., May 5, 2014
Mark Bukovich (Hancock, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I heard Norm's bits on XM Radio and Thought I would give him a try. Good stuff and not disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Picked this album randomly and it has become one of my all time favorite comedy albums., April 4, 2014
L. Sun (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
I've listened to this album over a dozen times and I still find it to be really funny. I like his sort of wry, insightful, self-deprecating-in-a-relatable-way humor. He talks about some serious topics on this album, but it never got to me in a bad way. He also develops his jokes well. You can see some of his professional writer and skit comedy past come out in them. He'll talk about a topic for 4 or 5 minutes and be hilarious the whole time. Highly recommended.

So you have some sense of my taste - I also like anything from Mike Birbiglia and Louis CK when he's talking about his kids or getting old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny - wish there was more!, August 23, 2012
S.A. "bham" (Southeastern MI USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Norm Macdonald is so funny and I love his voice. There were several bits in this album that had me laughing out loud. I would definitely purchase more of his material if it was available. It is definitely not pg13, so don't listen with the kiddos in the car!

1.0 out of 5 stars Should have been called "Me saying you know", July 10, 2013
This review is from: Me Doing Stand-Up (Audio CD)
Norm seems to suffer from using the phrase "You Know" too much.

Me Doing Stand-Up
Me Doing Stand-Up by Norm Macdonald (Audio CD - 2011)