5.0 out of 5 stars A nice addition to my collection of eyepieces.
Published 19 months ago by Astroguy

3.0 out of 5 stars It works
Needed a good low power eye piece so got this one. It works and I like it. Can't give a good review cause it's my first good eyepiece.
Published 16 days ago by Grimmtooth

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice addition to my collection of eyepieces., November 26, 2012
Astroguy (Cincinnati, Ohio) - See all my reviews
I have a huge collection of eyepieces, including some very expensive Tele-vue. When I do public star gazes (where an eyepiece might get dropped, smudged, or stolen) or take my scope on vacation, I usually leave the million-dollar eyepieces home. If you haven't bought a lot of eyepieces, you should know that when you purchase a really low-power eyepiece, unless you are going for a very wide field of view, it's a good idea to buy a budget model like this one and save the big bucks for the high power eyepieces. Let's take a closer look at this eyepiece.
This is a very good quality low power/wide field eyepiece for observing the moon, galaxy clusters, viewing emission and reflection nebulas in their entirety, etc. It gives a big 7.1mm exit pupil, which means it dumps a lot of light into your eye. High power eyepieces are dimmer because the exit pupil is smaller. This is an excellent choice to replace the cheap 26mm eyepiece that comes with most inexpensive scopes, not only to improve the edge-to-edge sharpness, but to give a wider and brighter field of view, as well. It has somewhat short eye relief that will limit the wide field for eyeglass wearers. I always take my eyeglasses off, and unless you have severe astigmatism, you can remove your glasses as well. Those who don’t wear glasses should have no problem seeing the entire field in comfort. It will work well with any telescope type, at any focal ratio. It's the lowest-power EP in my collection. I had a 40mm, but got rid of it for this 32, and I'm very happy with it. Meade has always made exceptional EP's, and this one is a bargain at this price. I have been using it to photograph the sun, and you can see my photos here: solarflare.info (without the www).
To find the power of this EP, simply divide 32 into the focal length of your scope. If you have a 900mm focal length scope, a 32mm EP will yield 28 power. Happy galaxy hunting!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great general purpose high power eyepiece, September 8, 2004
The Meade Series 4000 Super Plössls are an improvment over the 3000 series Plössls. The 9.7mm is used for high power observing on most telescopes. This eyepiece offers a magnification of 129x on an ETX90 or 206x on a 2000mm focal length telescope like the LX90. At high magnifications one requires a steady atmosphere, or else the image appears blurry due to bad "seeing". But with steady skies, this eyepiece produces stunning views of the planets.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Eyepiece for my 70mm Refractor Telescope, May 8, 2012
This review is from: Meade 07170-02 Super Plossl 1.25-Inch 6.4-Millimeter Eyepiece (Black) (Electronics)
I bought this Eyepiece to use with Meade 20218 NG-70SM 70mm Altazimuth Refractor Telescope. I wanted to use this Eyepiece to watch Saturn and Jupiter. Unfortunate, Jupiter is aligned with the Sun right now, but Saturn looked superb with this Eyepiece.

Last night, I walked out to my back yard and settled my telescope. I targeted Saturn with my 25mm Eyepiece, and quickly switched to the 9mm Eyepiece, then to the 6.4mm Eyepiece.

Once the telescope stopped vibrating, you could clearly see Saturn and its ring casting a shadow on it. This went much better than my earlier attempts with a Meade #126 1.25-Inch 2x Short-Focus Barlow Lens and the 9mm Eyepiece.

Venus was mighty portent as well, so I targeted with my scope. In the past, you could only see a white disk at best. But Venus is showing in a phase, with 3/4 in shadow. Just like a distant small moon.

In all, this Eyepiece worked as expected, and I even got it earlier than expected from the seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Supersharp and superbright, April 8, 2011
KM (Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
I buy too many products from Amazon and have little time to review most of them, but I am pretty excited about this eyepiece.
It is the sharpest and brightest optical piece I ever owned, and I get great view with wide field that makes it easy to observe anything. Obviously the magnification is not great but I think this makes it brighter, and generally it is just a joy to have this eyepiece.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality high power plossl, April 1, 2006
This Meade eyepice is of excellent build quality. It offers very good resolution of the planets, moon, starclusters, planetary nebulae, and double stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm, July 6, 2012
A. Blakey (Fort Smith, AR) - See all my reviews
I have a Celestron First Scope and as many reviewers of that point out, its included eyepieces are rubbish. This was a nice, affordable upgrade. The night it came in I quickly found 2 globular clusters and could actually make out Saturn, which was just about impossible before. I don't know enough about eyepieces to tell you if this is the latest and greatest, but it works perfectly for what I needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meade 6.4mm eyepiece, July 18, 2012
The eyepiece is working well - just need clear sky's to use it. When I use it on Saturn and Mars, they get big - but too much power for summer conditions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, April 3, 2010
This is a nice eyepiece.
I wish Meade would put the field stop on the piece.
Remember that magnification is secondary to light gathering capability.
I have an ETX80 and with a 3x Barlow this is a little too much mag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome., December 4, 2013
I didn't buy it here on Amazon because you can get it cheaper from other places. I was hesitant to get this lens for a bit, because I wanted something that would give me better image over the basic glass, but something that wasn't extremely low power.
Let me tell you, it blew all my expectations out of the water! Not only was the moon clear, the craters had so much depth to them! You can see Jupiter clearly and all it's biggest moons! I haven't tried Saturn or Mars yet, but if my two favorite objects to look at are clear, I have no doubt that they would be amazing too!
So if your like I was and are hesitant about buying this, don't be, go for it! You won't regret it! Just be sure to look around auction sites and other places for prices. I managed to snag this one for almost half the price by surfing around for a deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comparison - Meade 6.4mm and Celestron Omni 6.0mm, October 31, 2013
Brad (Boise, ID USA) - See all my reviews
I used two Celestron Omni 6mm's and one Meade 6.4mm eyepieces for comparison using my Celestron 70mm Travel Scope. For looking at a star, there is a slight difference; the Meade has a little less distortion - small spikes that radiate from the star as you closely focus. BUT, when looking at terrestrial landscape, which I do a lot, the Meade has much less distortion (almost none) between the edges and the center. The Meade has much better field of vision and slightly better eye relief. These differences would show up when looking at the moon or sun (with filter). Even though they are both Plossel eyepieces, there is a definite design / quality that makes the Meade a better eyepiece. The difference in magnification is pretty much negligible.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Meade 07170-02 Super Plossl 1.25-Inch 6.4-Millimeter Eyepiece (Black)
$29.99 $29.89