Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on November 26, 2012
I have a huge collection of eyepieces, including some very expensive Tele-vue. When I do public star gazes (where an eyepiece might get dropped, smudged, or stolen) or take my scope on vacation, I usually leave the million-dollar eyepieces home. If you haven't bought a lot of eyepieces, you should know that when you purchase a really low-power eyepiece, unless you are going for a very wide field of view, it's a good idea to buy a budget model like this one and save the big bucks for the high power eyepieces. Let's take a closer look at this eyepiece.
This is a very good quality low power/wide field eyepiece for observing the moon, galaxy clusters, viewing emission and reflection nebulas in their entirety, etc. It gives a big 7.1mm exit pupil, which means it dumps a lot of light into your eye. High power eyepieces are dimmer because the exit pupil is smaller. This is an excellent choice to replace the cheap 26mm eyepiece that comes with most inexpensive scopes, not only to improve the edge-to-edge sharpness, but to give a wider and brighter field of view, as well. It has somewhat short eye relief that will limit the wide field for eyeglass wearers. I always take my eyeglasses off, and unless you have severe astigmatism, you can remove your glasses as well. Those who don’t wear glasses should have no problem seeing the entire field in comfort. It will work well with any telescope type, at any focal ratio. It's the lowest-power EP in my collection. I had a 40mm, but got rid of it for this 32, and I'm very happy with it. Meade has always made exceptional EP's, and this one is a bargain at this price. I have been using it to photograph the sun, and you can see my photos here: solarflare.info (without the www).
To find the power of this EP, simply divide 32 into the focal length of your scope. If you have a 900mm focal length scope, a 32mm EP will yield 28 power. Happy galaxy hunting!
33 comments29 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2013
I didn't buy it here on Amazon because you can get it cheaper from other places. I was hesitant to get this lens for a bit, because I wanted something that would give me better image over the basic glass, but something that wasn't extremely low power.
Let me tell you, it blew all my expectations out of the water! Not only was the moon clear, the craters had so much depth to them! You can see Jupiter clearly and all it's biggest moons! I haven't tried Saturn or Mars yet, but if my two favorite objects to look at are clear, I have no doubt that they would be amazing too!
So if your like I was and are hesitant about buying this, don't be, go for it! You won't regret it! Just be sure to look around auction sites and other places for prices. I managed to snag this one for almost half the price by surfing around for a deal.
on February 22, 2015
Provided wider field of view compared to 25 mm plossel. Images are good and as expected at this price point. Use mainly to aid in finding subject then increase magnification as appropriate.
on September 14, 2014
Good field of view. Minimal distortion at the edges. Price is good.
on October 8, 2014
Great price performance relation
on September 23, 2014
Good quality lens
A nice Barlow.
on June 27, 2014
Needed a good low power eye piece so got this one. It works and I like it. Can't give a good review cause it's my first good eyepiece.
11 comment0 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2004
The Meade Series 4000 Super Plössls are an improvment over the 3000 series Plössls. The 32mm is used for low power observing on most telescopes. This eyepiece offers a magnification of 39x on an ETX90 or 63x on a 2000mm focal length telescope like the LX90.
0Comment4 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

See 1 answered question